New gun for the Lady

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

New gun for the Lady

Postby tangodown » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 21:27:35

Ok so the woman loves to shoot, and she has been really hinting towards a carry gun of her own. She loves my 1911 and my .45ACP sub compact, but admittedly(she and I) the recoil on both of those are a bit much for her. She is like 4'11" and 120, so small wrists. And as always I was told, "you're the gun guy you know what to get me, and what's good." Shes shot .380, 9mm, 10mm, 40, and 357sig. She was most comfortable with the .380 and 9mm judging by posture and shot grouping. So I have narrowed it down to these for choices, I just can't decide, I need some help/ constructive advice on this one.
Bersa Thunder or FireStorm .380, which I have shot personally and I love it true CCW and damn accurate
Wlather P/PP/PPK .380
CZ52/54 9mm
Makarov 9mm
Polish P-64 9mm
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Re: New gun for the Lady

Postby Chasbo00 » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:33:56

Assuming she can handle racking the slide on a small semi-auto and shoot it well, I recommend you take a look at the Glock 42/43 (.380/9mm) and the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield in 9mm. These are good reliable small semi-autos with great 3rd party support for accessories such as holsters. Find a way to let her shoot the contenders first and then let her make her own choice.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby WRW » Mon, 14 Mar 2016 23:57:15

Doesn't 1911 come in 9mm?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby FiremanBob » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 11:04:26

Walther PPK is a great choice, but I can't find a new one in the supply chain.

Bersa is large and heavy to carry.

Glock 42 is a lighter, easier to carry, and better trigger than the Bersa.

Glock 42 and S&W M&P9 Shield become good candidates if she's comfortable shooting the 9mm.

She might also try the Walther CCP. Its unique grip profile might be the most comfortable for her hand.

In any case, I recommend that she load with Polycase (Ruger) ARX ammo. It has about 20% less recoil than lead hollowpoints, but the same terminal ballistic performance.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby tangodown » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 16:42:09

Well I hate to be the one to hurt feelings, but she does not like Glock Brand Glocks. And she has shot all but the Polish P64. She likes that Walther style gun.

Yes they do make the 1911 in 9mm, it's just to large of a frame for her.

She has not shot the M&P Shield series. And if I recall what she said all she would want is a laser or laser grips.... But y'all are right it is her decision, so I'll just make her choose.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 16:48:55

tangodown wrote:Well I hate to be the one to hurt feelings, but she does not like Glock Brand Glocks. And she has shot all but the Polish P64. She likes that Walther style gun.

Yes they do make the 1911 in 9mm, it's just to large of a frame for her.

She has not shot the M&P Shield series. And if I recall what she said all she would want is a laser or laser grips.... But y'all are right it is her decision, so I'll just make her choose.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

You might want to have her try out a Kimber Pro Carry II (9mm) if you can find one. I've got one that seems to me to be both small and easy to manage, but then my hands are pretty big.

I've also got an American Tactical Titan Stainless, 3" barrel that's very well-behaved even though it's a .45ACP. Don't know if they can be had in a 9mm or not.,
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby FiremanBob » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 17:01:58

We have a Kimber 9mm in the shop. It's considerably heavier than the polymer-framed pistols.

No hurt feelings here. There is a quality tier at which all the major polymer-frame brands stand: Glock, Walther, S&W, SIG, FN, Springfield, HK. The main difference is how well they fit the owner's hand, and whichever feels best is the right choice. The Glock grip profile is not for everyone.

The Walther CCP has the advantage of being a little softer shooting due to its unusual gas-delayed blowback design. But it is very tricky to field-strip for cleaning and reassemble.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

Postby Snakester » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 20:17:50

My wife loves all of our 1911's. He favorite is her Sig .22 LR . She also likes our TCM .22 / 9mm Rock Island. Our .40 and .45 are just a little much for her. This past Saturday we got to shoot a RIA Mapps 9mm and really liked it . We may have one in our near future !

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby tangodown » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 20:58:22

FiremanBob wrote:We have a Kimber 9mm in the shop. It's considerably heavier than the polymer-framed pistols.

No hurt feelings here. There is a quality tier at which all the major polymer-frame brands stand: Glock, Walther, S&W, SIG, FN, Springfield, HK. The main difference is how well they fit the owner's hand, and whichever feels best is the right choice. The Glock grip profile is not for everyone.

The Walther CCP has the advantage of being a little softer shooting due to its unusual gas-delayed blowback design. But it is very tricky to field-strip for cleaning and reassemble.

That was her complaint was the grip posture on the gun, it was hard for her to get a firm grip on the weapon. I blame her small hands, she said it was the double stack. I still say midget carny hands...... meh tomato; tomatto

As far as grips go, most hand guns have inter-changeable/ after market grip pads, or side grips so it really all comes down to manageable caliber/ recoil, single stack, easy of break down, and reliability. I think that's why I went with those above mentioned selections. 9mm with RIP ammo is a ruthless projectile, as is the under rated .380. Recoil is a joke even in a Walther or a Makarov, and to clean and maintenance them is so easy my 11 year old nephew can do it. I would sling her up with a Sig or something more modern, but 1 I am not home(NY state) most of the year and 2 she needs something basic, simple, and easy to use and maintain.

This has been a good thread thus far, yall have pointed out a few things I have overlooked, well under appreciated when looking for a CCW for someone else who has a small stature.

tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Postby tangodown » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 21:07:21

Snakester wrote:My wife loves all of our 1911's. He favorite is her Sig .22 LR . She also likes our TCM .22 / 9mm Rock Island. Our .40 and .45 are just a little much for her. This past Saturday we got to shoot a RIA Mapps 9mm and really liked it . We may have one in our near future !

As does mine, but the weapon is huge on her. I have a full frame 5" in .45. The recoils isn't as bad as my 3" Subcompact 24/7 Millennium Pro .45 for her thou. That thing about hits her in the head on recoil, because of the sort ass barrel(and her carny hands and wrists LOL). That and its only good till like 15/17 yards for decent accuracy.

I know I know I like Taurus guns...... swear to God I have never had an issue with either of my Taurus firearms. 1911s got probably close to 13000 rounds down the barrel, and is 100% reliable and accurate. And I have only hand 1 stove pipe, and 1 fail to load (depressed projectile) in its service to me. The 24/7 has got like 3 to 4000 down it, and its still as sold as the day I bought it.

tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Postby WRW » Tue, 15 Mar 2016 21:39:09

It might be a good idea to read some realistic reviews of that RIP ammo.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby Chasbo00 » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 00:34:52

WRW wrote:It might be a good idea to read some realistic reviews of that RIP ammo.

Good advice. Stick with the major US manufacturers of proven defensive ammo such as Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby FiremanBob » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 04:48:03

ARX is not RIP - it's a completely different design.. I do not recommend RIP. Look for the reviews of Polycase ARX.
1022Companion.com

FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 05:06:27

Funny that you bring up the Polycase ARX, Bob. I recently purchased a box, on a whim. I had never heard of it. I started researching it after I bought it, and have been meaning to start a thread to ask opinions on it.

Glad to see a recommendation on the product.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby WRW » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 08:51:00

FiremanBob;
The OP seemed to have the impression that the RIP round is a "ruthless projectile". I have no opinion on your recommendation.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby Chasbo00 » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 10:04:13

FiremanBob wrote:ARX is not RIP - it's a completely different design.. I do not recommend RIP. Look for the reviews of Polycase ARX.

like this one? http://www.homedefensegun.net/polycase-arx-inceptor/

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby WRW » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 10:43:26

Chasbo00 wrote:
FiremanBob wrote:ARX is not RIP - it's a completely different design.. I do not recommend RIP. Look for the reviews of Polycase ARX.

like this one? <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.homedefensegun.net/polycase-arx-inceptor/">http://www.homedefensegun.net/polycase-arx-inceptor/</a><!-- m -->

I have an opinion now. Depends on tumbling to achieve similar permanent wound channel?

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby AlanM » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 10:53:15

Frankly, I'm in love with my Stoeger Cougar 8000F (9mm).
It's an all metal compact Baretta made at their plant in Turkey.
It holds 15+1 with a standard magazine.
I'm now carrying second one.
I gave my first to my daughter when she graduated college last year and she's quite happy with it.
The Cougar is somewhat smaller and lighter than my 1911 and has twice the number of cartridges with close the the same muzzle energy.
Being all metal it's heaver than a plastic framed firearm so the kick is, IMHO, more manageable.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby FiremanBob » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 11:29:44

Doesn't depend on tumbling. The flutes in the bullet act like an impeller, creating a hydraulic shock that expands the wound channel so that it's similar to a hollowpoint.

There are several reviews of ARX including a comparison of 6 different unusual rounds including RIP on thefirearmblog:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/?s=polycase
1022Companion.com

FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

Postby Ironbear » Wed, 16 Mar 2016 13:18:22

Re: ARX.

The manufacturers (and marketers) claim should be measured against common sense.
FiremanBob wrote:The flutes in the bullet act like an impeller, creating a hydraulic shock that expands the wound channel so that it's similar to a hollowpoint.

The twist rate of most common defensive pistols ranges from about 1:10" to about 1:18". That means the bullet will be rotating one time for every 10" to 18" of forward travel. Hardly a flying-blender-of-death effect. More likely, it is a high-velocity hydrodynamic effect, similar to the old THV round.

Extra-high-velocity, light-for-caliber rounds have been the "next best thing" since I could stand around reading the gun magazines in the store (anybody remember THV, Geco BAT, blah, blah). Historically, they tended to produce devastating, but shallow wounds, dumping all their energy near the surface and not penetrating. These light-for-caliber rounds come and go (and new ones show up) while police and military continue to buy ammo in traditional weights and velocities, made by companies producing bullets in steadily improving but relatively traditional form factors.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next

Return to Handguns/Pistols