ProMag 1022 See-Through Weaver Scope Mt1022 See-Through Weaver Scope Mt
ProMag
    ProMag Colt Delta AR-15 Scope MountColt Delta AR-15 Scope Mount
ProMag
    ProMag AR-15/M16 & M4 Handgrd Alum RailAR-15/M16 & M4 Handgrd Alum Rail
ProMag

New 9MM Advice - Sig P226 or CZ 75B?

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

New 9MM Advice - Sig P226 or CZ 75B?

Postby FatAndy » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:03:59

I'm thinking about treating myself to a new toy, and was wondering if anyone would like to share their experience with either the CZ 75B, Sig P226, or preferably both.

I have my current HD and CC needs covered, so this would primarily be a "fun" range gun. :pistol: I want it to be traditional DA/SA, and I also want it to have a stainless steel finish. This narrows my scope down considerably, to the Sig, the CZ, the Beretta 92 FS, and the Taurus PT92. I'm not interested in the Taurus, but I could be swayed on the Beretta.

Price is not an issue, however, I do want to get value in return for extra cash. In other words, does the ~$1200 price tag on a Sig P226 Elite Stainless provide $500 more in fit/finish/function/features than the ~$700 price tag on a stainless CZ 75 B.

I'm especially interested in things that I can't figure out by fondling them myself at a store or show, like shooting experience, trigger quality, and reliability.

Any advice would be appreciated!

FatAndy
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Andy

Next Firearm:
Nickel-Plated Sissy Pistol

Re: New 9MM Advice - Sig P226 or CZ 75B?

Postby YuDanJa » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 13:46:44

I never owned a CZ, but I own a P226, and it's the only gun from my collection I could not sell. It's the best shooter of all the pistols I've owned. No other pistol I've shot or owned was as accurate as my P226 (including other Sigs I've owned). Added to that, it's the only gun in my collection that never had a single failure of any sort.
The only complaint I had about it when I first started to shoot that weapon was the location of the slide stop. It took some getting used to, but after several thousand rounds, I pretty much note to myself to move the thumb aside when shooting a Sig.
Its definitely my "fun gun" at the range, though. In fact, I'm having it converted to E2 by Sig's Custom Shop...can't wait to get it back in a few weeks.
I vote P226. :)

YuDanJa
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: GyoBeomNim

My Arsenal:
S&W M&P15 MOE
S&W M&P Shield
Glock 19 Gen4
Sig P226R, E2 grip & SRT
Mossberg 590

Next Firearm:
Beretta 92A1

Postby jrswanson1 » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:28:31

Take this for what it's worth, if you want a range 9mm, see if you can find a police trade in Beretta 92. I've seen them under $400, and you can buy a ton of mags and ammo for the price difference on the Sig. Plus there are a ton of accessories for it.

Jim

jrswanson1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
3 AR-15s
CETME
Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08
Win 94 .45 Colt
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm
Rem 870 Express Super Mag
Rem 11-87P
Spanish SxS 12 Gauge
ParaOrdnance P16-40 .40 S&W
CZ-75B 9mm
Ruger Mark II
CVA Magnum black powder rifle
Remington 700 Sendero II in 300 WM
Keltec PF9
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt
RIA 1911 Bright Nickel .45 ACP
Enfield No. 1 Mark III*
Vz54/91
Vz52
Model of 1917 Enfield
Fazakerly No. 4 Mk I South African issued
Lithgow No. 1 Mk. III
Vz-24
Ishapore 2a
Enfield No.1 Mk III Republic of Ireland issued

Next Firearm:
Who am I kidding

Postby VBshooter » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 14:30:53

I've used / shot several P226's and they are IMHO one of the best 9mm's out there ,, I curently have a P228 Sig 9mm and It;s one that I refuse to part with ,, Another vote for the Sig .
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Spence

Next Firearm:
H&K Sig or an AK47/74

Postby grumpyMSG » Fri, 19 Nov 2010 19:14:25

I too am a huge fan of Sigs, but if it is a range toy and has to be stainless, a $500 difference is nothing to sneeze at. I have also heard a lot of great things about CZ's pistols, so I would give them a good hard look. Might be a good excuse to go to the Gunshow in Chantilly this weekend....
Of course it is in the last place you looked, you're not going to keep looking for something after you've found it.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
grumpyMSG
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Several Classics, ARs and a few Pistols

Next Firearm:
It'll ask to come home with me...

Postby gunderwood » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 03:43:07

Both are good guns. I prefer the thinner grips E2 style. For DA/SA I would prefer the SIG, but the CZ single action is sweet and makes for a great target gun. I don't care for the 92FS.

FatAndy wrote:Price is not an issue, however, I do want to get value in return for extra cash. In other words, does the ~$1200 price tag on a Sig P226 Elite Stainless provide $500 more in fit/finish/function/features than the ~$700 price tag on a stainless CZ 75 B.

This is practically impossible for us to quantify for you. For example, I have a WC CQB which IMHO is worth the significant price increase over any of these guns (it is the only one I have in that price range though). However, other people shoot it, agree it is a really nice gun, but would never contemplate spending that much for a handgun. To each his own.

I think the SIG is worth $1200 and the CZ is a good deal at $700. As long as the gun performs its function well (which both do), the lower priced gun always provides more value. However, that doesn't mean the more expensive gun is or isn't worth it. While money isn't the issue, you do still have limited funds. What you should ask is this:

If I buy the SIG for $500 more, what can I no longer buy? I.e. spending the extra $500 isn't the issue, but it does mean you can't spend it on something else. Compare the two and then evaluate if the $500 is better spent on the SIG or whatever you can no longer buy. Either is a good gun and I think you would be happy with. The quality of either gun is sufficiently high enough that determining which is better is more personal preference.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby gregj » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 08:29:38

I've had a Baretta 92FS, sold it in short order, didnt like it and it wasnt accurate for me. I have a Sig 226 and a CZ 75SA Target. I really like my Sigs, but I LOVE my CZ. The 226 is in the nightstand, and the CZ is my range and match gun. I got hooked on CZ by shooting a friends 75B.

The CZ is very close in size, fit, etc, to a 1911, so it fits my hand naturally. The Sig is nice, but has a little higher bore axis, and becomes noticable after time. If you shoot the CZ, I think that will be all you will need to make your mind up.

If price is not an issue, go to the gun show this weekend. Damascus Arms should be there. They are the only CZ dealer there that stocks the Target. It is wickedly accurate, smooth, and the best money I've every spent on a handgun.

gregj
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
A Daisy Red Ryder, and a Daisy pellet pistol.

Postby FatAndy » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 10:39:29

gunderwood wrote:
FatAndy wrote:Price is not an issue, however, I do want to get value in return for extra cash. In other words, does the ~$1200 price tag on a Sig P226 Elite Stainless provide $500 more in fit/finish/function/features than the ~$700 price tag on a stainless CZ 75 B.

This is practically impossible for us to quantify for you. For example, I have a WC CQB which IMHO is worth the significant price increase over any of these guns (it is the only one I have in that price range though). However, other people shoot it, agree it is a really nice gun, but would never contemplate spending that much for a handgun. To each his own.

I guess I could have been a little less ambiguous here. I guess what I was going after was "Why does a Sig cost about $500 more than a CZ with a nearly identical feature set?" Is it genuinely a quality issue, or are you paying for the name on the slide. Perhaps CZ has lower production costs, seeing as they are made in the Czech Republic and Sigs are manufactured in Germany and the USA. Just fishing for some input, that's all.

FatAndy
Marksman
Marksman

Next Firearm:

Postby WRW » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 11:53:11

The Sig has a rail. Don't need it? With that model you still pay for it. How about them rosewood grips? Or that short reset trigger? Serrated strap? Don't need them? Don't get them. It is not just "paying for the name" but you may be paying for things you don't want or need.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby VBshooter » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 13:23:15

Look at a the SIg P229 ,(subcompact),,you may find it more to your needs without the extra dodads except the rail.. http://averagejoeshandgunreviews.blogspot.com/2008/06/sig-p229-9mm-one-of-most-popular-and.html Do some searching for prices ,,, They vary from place to place sometimes by a large margin,,, It is fact that handguns definitely cost more these days and laying out damn near a grand is a decision not to be rushed....Have you maybe thought about a Glock 19http://www.remtek.com/arms/glock/model/9/19/ These can be had for a little over 500 Bucks and they are in my opinion a very good choice,,, Natuarally your choice may be different ,just realize that your not locked in to any certain brand to get an Upper Grade Firearm.
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Spence

Next Firearm:
H&K Sig or an AK47/74

Postby gunderwood » Sat, 20 Nov 2010 16:45:35

FatAndy wrote:
gunderwood wrote:

I guess I could have been a little less ambiguous here. I guess what I was going after was "Why does a Sig cost about $500 more than a CZ with a nearly identical feature set?" Is it genuinely a quality issue, or are you paying for the name on the slide. Perhaps CZ has lower production costs, seeing as they are made in the Czech Republic and Sigs are manufactured in Germany and the USA. Just fishing for some input, that's all.

The SIG costs more because people are willing to pay more. The cost to manufacture is relevant to the manufacturers profit margin, but is not for determining the market price. There are lots of things that cost more to manufacture than they are worth; their market price. The manufacturer either internally subsidizes the product because of a perceived value it brings to the brand (e.g. a flag ship product or one that is needed to maintain market presence) or it is an integral part of their business model (i.e. a loss leader like video game consoles, but they make a fortune on games which covers it) or they must be subsidized externally. The whole reason you are suppose to allow bankrupt businesses to fail under Capitalism is because it explicitly means they are wasting resources! The demand for their items is so poor that they can not charge more for them then it costs to make the product. Why would you want to keep a company in business who can't make a product the market wants at a price people are willing to pay. Far better is it to let them fail and have the market utilize those resources more efficiently. Given a little bit of time the economy will actually be producing more with less, meaning we are all wealthier and prices should fall.

As others have pointed out, the feature set is not identical. The guns feature set are only identical in as much as you are willing to generalize their function. For example, not all DA/SA triggers are built the same, nor are their designs equal. It is entirely possible that due to design, an inferior trigger cost more to make. The build quality of the CZ and the SIG are on par with each other. If you were comparing slide to frame fit, they are about the same from the limited samples I've seen, etc. As to which is better is mostly personal preference. I would say both guns are made much better and designed to last longer than a Glock or similar, but their price tags are also much higher.

Both guns are worth what the respective manufacturers are asking for them. CZ could probably charge a bit more for this gun and still sell them, but SIG probably can't charge much more. I would buy either based on which features I liked better. The CZ SA Target model is a fantastic gun and I would buy that over a $1200 SIG for target shooting. However, if I was going into a war zone tomorrow I'd grab the SIG. Not because the CZ wouldn't work well, but because I know the SIG has been used in that role and performed well.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby zeroselect » Mon, 29 Nov 2010 10:42:38

I have a Sig P226 SCT and a CZ 75 SP01 Tactical with a 22lr Cadet upper both in 9mm. For me hands down the CZ is better. The barrel being lower and the weight of the gun itself makes it more accurate. Also for my hands the egros on it is so much better. The 22lr upper is also dead on accurate.

zeroselect
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
SIG SAUER P226
RUGER 10/22

Postby FatAndy » Mon, 29 Nov 2010 12:36:12

zeroselect wrote:I have a Sig P226 SCT and a CZ 75 SP01 Tactical with a 22lr Cadet upper both in 9mm. For me hands down the CZ is better. The barrel being lower and the weight of the gun itself makes it more accurate. Also for my hands the egros on it is so much better. The 22lr upper is also dead on accurate.

Thanks for the advice. How finicky is the Cadet kit with ammo? Does it eat the cheap Federal stuff from Wal-Mart?

FatAndy
Marksman
Marksman

Next Firearm:

Postby zeroselect » Mon, 29 Nov 2010 15:07:50

The Cadet runs almost perfectly. The only issue that i had was the first initial round going in would need a light tap on the end of the slide to let it in. This is from it being new and needs a break in period. The last round slide lock sometimes don't hold but this also happens on the 9mm SP-01 as well as my Sig P226. As for ammo so far it has eaten any cheap ammo including the Federal Bulk. It even ran the Winchester 333 which has a huge hollow point that gives my other 22lr loading issues. Hypersonic, Supersonic, Subsonic it eats it all and i have never had it FTF or FTE.

The downside of the SP-01 SA/DA is the trigger which has some creep and feels a little notchy but this will all go away after break-in and shooting the 22lr is a cheap way to break in the trigger group.

Now i'm looking at getting a CZ Shadow that is a SA and trigger job.

Anyone wanna buy my Sig? :wink:

zeroselect
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
SIG SAUER P226
RUGER 10/22

Postby user » Mon, 29 Nov 2010 19:02:52

I dunno, maybe you ought to stick with that GP100 you got in the picture!

My own preference is for the Sig, though you either have to have large hands to hold the double-stack magazine or have the "short trigger option" installed. On the other hand, it holds twice as many cartridges as the CZ. I'd suggest the Sig 229 DAK, myself. With aftermarket Mec-Gar magazines, it will still hold twice as many cartridges as the CZ, is easier to hold than a 226 (and more concealable). Both have superb reputations for reliability. CZ has better customer service, in my opinion, and is a more accurate gun on average.

Sheer value and fun to shoot, get the CZ; practical all-purpose selection, get an (overpriced) Sig 229 DAK.
Nothing I say as "user" should be taken as either advertising for attorney services or legal advice. Legal questions should be presented to a competent attorney licensed to practice in the relevant state.
http://www.VirginiaLegalDefense.com

user
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: DLH

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 29 Nov 2010 20:51:55

I'm sticking with a target model CZ for purely range use. If the gun may get used for CC/SD then get the SIG. If you really want a SIG for target/competition use get the Xfive...now that is some cash.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby zeroselect » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 09:56:11

Ammo wise my CZ magazine holds more stock for stock.
If you wanted a CZ and weight is an issue they also have a polymer bottom version (Phantom).

They are both great purchases but i fell head over heels over the CZ. :clap:

zeroselect
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
SIG SAUER P226
RUGER 10/22

Postby rromeo » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:00:17

I am a CZ fan.
Never initiate force against another. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.KYFHO

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
rromeo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rich

My Arsenal:
Quite a few

Postby FatAndy » Tue, 30 Nov 2010 10:23:00

user wrote:I dunno, maybe you ought to stick with that GP100 you got in the picture!

I love my GP! It's loaded up in my nightstand with Crimson Trace grips so it's ready to go in case I hear a bump in the night.

That said, it does get old reloading it every 6 shots at the range, and 38/357 is still much harder to track down and more expensive than 9MM, so that's why I'm looking to add a nice looking high capacity 9MM to my collection, something built to last (like the GP) that I can pass on to my son someday.

And from what I've seen in this thread, it seems like both the Sig and CZ are quality weapons, and there aren't really many negative aspects to either choice, so it will likely come down to what deal I can get and how the weapons fit my hand. Thanks again to everyone for their input! I hope to :gunporn: sometime shortly after the Dale City show next month.

FatAndy
Marksman
Marksman

Next Firearm:

Postby dusty14u » Thu, 16 Dec 2010 15:16:07

You might consider the CZ-85 Combat. Basically the same gun as the 75 but it has ambi controls, drop free mags, no trigger block, and adj sights. Extremely accurate. I haven't shot a Sig 226 but I am sure it is a fine weapon. A friend has the 239 and it is a nice gun. You will have to decide if the $500 is worth the difference in performance or aesthetics. I managed to pick this one up for much less than $700 or about 1/2 the price of the Sig. I would venture to guess the Sig doesn't perform 2x as well as the CZ.

Bought the zebra wood grips from Marschals in Hungary for $50 to spruce it up a bit.

dusty14u
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Dusty

Next Firearm:
Jennings Hi Point

Next

Return to Handguns/Pistols