Kinda went off on Springfield Armory in the nicest way.

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Kinda went off on Springfield Armory in the nicest way.

Postby Reverenddel » Fri, 06 Jan 2017 21:17:07

After being laughed at because my Sprinfield Armory XD45 Tactical requires "tape on the lower part of the mag" to make it quiet (it rattles like a baby toy). There's nothing more I can do... and even though it's accurate as you would not believe (10 outta 10 in the X at 35 feet with slow fire)... having tape is embarrassing.

I sent this to them:

Hello,

About 2 years ago, I called about an issue I've had on-going with my XD 45 5" Tactical. The magazine rattles in the mag well side-to-side. I was instructed that it was "...within acceptable tolerances...", and I should "...just put some tape on the bottom of the magazines..."

Well, that kind of shocked me in the fact that I was told to put tape on a $600 gun's magazines to make them quiet. Still, I went ahead. And it worked okay. The gun functions, rounds go "bang", it cycles. However, I have Rugers, SIGs, Glocks, and S&Ws , they do not require "tape to make them tolerant"

It's embarrassing to do mag drops in competition/action matches, and after the (match that has actual PAID shooters) ... there were folks there who decided to NOT buy an XD after seeing this, and hearing my story. There were some XD owners there who did NOT have the same issue, and uncomfortable over the response I received.

The one thing that makes me keep the gun is the 5" barrel, with an external manual ambidextrous safety. Well tonight, I was at (Popular Gun Range), and the new S&W M&P's have a forth coming .45 ACP, in 5", with an external manual ambidextrous safety. So before I give up completely, is there ANYTHING Springfield Armory can do to make this situation better?

Serial number on the gun XXXXXXXX.

I appreciate anything you can do, Thank you kindly

(This mean bastard)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Re: Kinda went off on Springfield Armory in the nicest way.

Postby smltooner » Fri, 06 Jan 2017 22:33:01

Rev....you can't be any nicer than that.
I'm curious to hear their reply.
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Postby WRW » Fri, 06 Jan 2017 22:51:27

A reliable firearm that doubles as a castanet...at no extra charge? You should double up for a set. You could add flamenco to your Mozambique drill.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 14:41:49

Very well put together letter.

I can understand the frustration. It would be like buying a new car with a rattling door, then having the dealer say, "The door shuts, don't it? Car gets you from A to B? It's within acceptable tolerances; just tape the door shut."

I'd be disinclined to buy anything from Springfield Armory, with an attitude like that.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby WRW » Sat, 07 Jan 2017 18:51:05

That car door rattle is a good parallel, and the letter to the manufacturer showed admirable restraint. You will keep us posted?

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 09 Jan 2017 09:26:29

Indeed I will.

It's been such an annoyance, I rarely shoot the gun, and here's the kicker.... It's accurate. Like 35 feet, and I'm chewing the X accurate. However, the QC from Serbia ain't what it's supposed to be.

How about the "Red" on the "Safety" came off with gun solvent? Seriously. I'm cleaning it about the 4th time of shooting it, and wondered "WHAT IS THIS RED PAINT!?!?"

Yeah.

It's functioning, it's accurate, but it's not QC'd well enough for me to depend on.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 11 Jan 2017 22:34:47

Same response:

Good Morning Carl,

I have sent your email onto my technician, and he said that is not abnormal. There is going to be play with the magazine in the magwell loaded or not loaded. It is the design of the firearm so the magazines can be released from the magwell.

Angie B | Customer Service
Team Springfield
420 West Main Street
Geneseo, IL 61254

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 11 Jan 2017 23:05:01

My response:

Morning Angie,
I've attached a video showing the amount of play in the gun, both empty, and full magazine. There is enough play in the magwell that I have to use two pieces of Gorilla Black Tape to silence it, and they drop just fine with the tape. "Acceptable Tolerances" seems to be a bit loose consider I have handle other XD's, and they're not having this same issue. Online, it appears SOME of the .45 ACP's have it as well. I can literally play a mariachi tune with it. Again, the weapon feeds, and cycles, but this just does not appear to be correct. I appreciate your time, but please review the videos.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 12 Jan 2017 13:49:13

Flip side of this whole interaction?

SIG Sauer, contacted them because I was having an issue getting the rear sight to "tighten up", even with the hex wrench they sent for free. Emailed asking for advice

SIG's response: "Oh no sir! Please send that to us! We'll figure it out. "

(drops mic) THAT is what Customer Service is supposed to be like.

Also, Let us never speak of Kimber's customer service, that was a five second, " I will never buy another one again", kinda situation.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby SHMIV » Thu, 12 Jan 2017 14:46:42

That response from Angie B. leaves much to be desired, doesn't it?

I've noticed that customer service, in general, seems to have gone steeply down hill, over the past couple of decades, regardless of what you're buying and from where you buy it.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 12 Jan 2017 22:27:59

FINALLY! After going to GreenTop, handling THREE different .45 ACP XD's. including an XDM...

No significant rattle.

BOUGHT A NEW MAGAZINE! Thinking "Okay, the mags I have are from the first run, and such.

Heavier springs, polished.

(Mexican Mariachi Time)

Finally, S/A is saying "FINE! Send it in".

Dear effin' JESUS! I slightly MENTION to SIG that my rear sight is "off", and i get a shipping label, and free repair...

Effin' S/A? You have to do CIRCUS TRIPS!

LAST... SPRINGFIELD ARMORY...GUN... EVER!

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Snakester » Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:23:07

Spent a couple hours this afternoon shooting all my pistols , checking mags. and listening for any unwanted noises . I try to rotate loaded mags. because the springs will soften after a while being loaded. I didn't hear any unwanted noise but , I could see how distracting that could be. A buddy of mine has a Mini 30 Carbine that dropped the mag. on the 5th round every time. Ended up being a mechanical issue . I have to say Ruger took care of the problem with less then a 12 day turn around. :tommygun:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 02 Feb 2017 23:22:21

So the story ends...

S/A did... nothing. Period. Nothing "Within specs". So this time I went to Green Top, and looked at the USED XD's, not the NEW ones as I had done previously...

Every...last...one...rattled.

Empty mags in the magwell, "rattle-rattle". So my curiosity would be, the gun is within their "Specs", but why is the mag tight when it's "new", and after awhile it "loosens" Uh-huh... polymers "give", but I've never experienced this with a Glock, HK, or S&W...

Doesn't matter. GreenTop has the SIG 227 I want. Temptation. Badly playing. But this gun? It's been designated "house gun". I cannot run all around with a Rattly holstered weapon. That draws attention.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

ads

Return to Handguns/Pistols