Kahr CM9

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Kahr CM9

Postby m4a1mustang » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 12:08:51

I just picked up a new Kahr CM9 from NOVA Firearms yesterday. I've been eyeing this for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger.

Often times I find that my Glock 26 is a little to bulky for summer carry, or when I wear fitted clothing. The CM9 is a good bit shorter, but more importantly a lot thinner and lighter. I have a kydex IWB holster from PJ Holster on the way. I also ordered a Desantis pocket holster to try. When I get those in I'll update with pics and my thoughts.

I haven't taken it to the range but hope to get it there this week for the break-in period. Kahr recommends at least 200 trouble-free rounds of break-in before considering the gun reliable. The gun is VERY tight to start. Difficult to operate the slide, mag release, and field-strip. I've been racking it constantly to help with the break-in but you can only do so much.

So far I'm happy. It looks good, feels good, and is nicely built relative to the other small 9mm I was looking at... the Kel-Tec Pf9.

After I get it to the range I'll update with my report, but for now I just wanted to share pics!
- Steve

m4a1mustang
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Steve

Re: Kahr CM9

Postby m4a1mustang » Mon, 09 Jul 2012 22:40:27

Went to the range tonight... ran about 150 rounds through it (reloading the single mag every time... ugh) and it did it without much fuss. No FTF or FTE. The slide didn't lock back a couple times at the end of the mag, but I've read this is normal for the break-in period (200 rounds minimum). It is definitely loosening up a bit. I suspect after ~500 rounds it will be much smoother than when fresh out of the box.

It is an accurate little gun once you get used to the trigger. Very smooth. I like it a lot better than my fiancée's Ruger LC9. I need some more practice with it, but so far I'm only a little less accurate with this than I am with my Glock 26. I'm more consistent with the G26, but I'm sure that will come with time.

Planning another trip to the range on Friday. :thumbsup:
- Steve

m4a1mustang
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby widefat » Thu, 12 Jul 2012 06:45:50

Hey m4, your experience lines up with mine. My CM9 is my daily carry. Yep, mine was extremely tight for the first hundred or so rounds, then loosened up. VERY comfortable to carry IWB. For IWB, I picked up a couple of 7 round mags with the pinky extension. I also have a galco pocket holster - I use the 6 round mag when using the pocket holster. FIne firearm.
The United States of America:
Born: 4 July, 1776
Died: 6 November, 2012

I am a Native American. I was Born here.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: ryry

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby Rich » Thu, 12 Jul 2012 08:32:13

It is a fine little pistol. I had one and it performed flawlessly. Could never get used to the trigger so I traded it for something else. But that was no fault of the firearm.

Rich
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Rich

My Arsenal:
Never enough

Postby m4a1mustang » Tue, 17 Jul 2012 14:42:32

An update on the CM9:

I added Talon Grips (rubberized texture) yesterday. They are very nice and help quite a bit with grip comfort.

I have 400+ rounds of varying ammo through it now. It eats everything and is pretty darn accurate for a little gun. I'm very happy with it.
- Steve

m4a1mustang
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Jamie » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 20:47:49

I had the chance to fire one of these last week. The trigger was decent when it broke, but long creep and resets were annoying. We too found that the slide sometimes wouldn't lock back on a new gun.

Jamie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jamie

Next Firearm:
deer rifle

Postby Dooga » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 20:55:48

After the Glock, it is hard to get used to any other creep or reset. Right?

Dooga
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Gen 1 G17, Seecamp LWS32, CZ 452 Special Military Training

Next Firearm:
H&K P7

Postby Jamie » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:21:44

Dooga wrote:After the Glock, it is hard to get used to any other creep or reset. Right?

Heh. That argument could be made, but my carry weapon is a Ruger SR9.

Jamie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jamie

Next Firearm:
deer rifle

Postby Wolvee » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 21:31:35

I've never been a fan of the Kahrs but recently after shooting both the PM9 & CM9 I have changed my tune a little bit. I think of it as a High quality alternative to a Kel-tec PF9. If you don't want to deal with all the BS associated with a PF9, the CM9 is an amazing alternative. The PM9 doesn't really serve a purpose for me with the price point and the extra that you get over the CM9.

I carry a highly modified PF9 as a bug and as a pistol to carry when I don't have room for my SK or P30L. the PF9 is crap, but it works for me and I don't mind polishing, cutting and carving on the $200 gun like I would on the $500.

Congrats on the new purchase.
Le prixs'oublie, la qualité reste

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Wolvee
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wolvee

My Arsenal:
German stuff

Postby m4a1mustang » Fri, 20 Jul 2012 22:00:09

I find the trigger to be really smooth. The gun after 4-500 rounds is really a totally different experience than it is during the break-in period. After that first range trip (around 150 rounds) the slide locks back every time. Feels really good in hand.

It definitely isn't a Glock (I have a 26, 19, and 17) but it's probably the closest you can get to a single stack, truly pocketable version of the 26. Serves its purpose well.

I do agree that the PM9 isn't worth the extra $200 or so over the CM9. I actually find the CM9 to be more attractive in hand, anyways.
- Steve

m4a1mustang
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby FiremanBob » Sat, 21 Jul 2012 09:13:30

I tried one at the shop. It sure looks and feels good and is very slim. While the trigger was definitely light and smooth, it was a long pull that I couldn't get used to. But that's my problem, there is nothing wrong with the Kahr.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby familyman » Fri, 29 Mar 2013 14:57:24

I have a CM9 and love it. I have put a few thousand round through it and it is my daily concealed carry option. It can be pocket carried and is a lot of fun to shoot.
What part of
"Congress shall make no law...prohibiting the free exercise therof", "shall not be infringed", "upon probable cause", "shall not be violated"

does the gov't/the court/TSA not understand?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
familyman
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Glock 36, Kahr CM9

Next Firearm:
Glock 17

Postby Dooga » Tue, 28 Apr 2015 23:29:11

I bet the CM9 stands up really well against the Glock 43, too.

Dooga
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Gen 1 G17, Seecamp LWS32, CZ 452 Special Military Training

Next Firearm:
H&K P7

Postby CCFan » Thu, 14 May 2015 17:12:50

My normal EDC was a Glock 26... It still gets used, but I switched to a PM9 some number of years ago... I shot pretty accurately with the Glock and was worried the thin PM9 would suffer some, but it shoots better than I do, for the most part. The thin profile really is conducive to always putting on a firearm.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Si vis pacem, para bellum.
Resistance to Tyranny is Obedience to God.

CCFan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: none

Return to Handguns/Pistols