How to grip a handgun to shoot fast & accurate

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

How to grip a handgun to shoot fast & accurate

Postby Chasbo00 » Mon, 08 Feb 2016 16:30:32

Every now and then I come across an article I really like. This is one of them.

Shooting a handgun well means that you shoot both quickly and accurately. If you are only shooing slowly, then how you grip the handgun does not really matter much. You will be accurate so long as you pull the trigger straight to the rear without disturbing pistol's target alignment. However, if you want to shoot fast too, then how you grip the pistol is critical. This article lays out what a good semi-auto handgun grip is for both fast and accurate shooting and how to get there.

http://preparedgunowners.com/2016/01/05 ... -accurate/
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Re: How to grip a handgun to shoot fast & accurate

Postby screwedbygoogle » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 12:32:10

Chasbo00 wrote:....

If you are only shooing slowly, then how you grip the handgun does not really matter much. ....

I lost interest after reading this part.

screwedbygoogle
original username modified by google

screwedbygoogle
On Target
On Target

Postby Chasbo00 » Mon, 28 Mar 2016 14:00:42

screwedbygoogle wrote:
Chasbo00 wrote:....

If you are only shooing slowly, then how you grip the handgun does not really matter much. ....

I lost interest after reading this part.

I'm curious - why are you only interested in shooting a handgun slowly?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Utah » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 13:36:58

Not speaking for screwedbygoogle, but shooting fast or slow…grip DOES MATTER.
"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
(Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Utah
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Chasbo00 » Fri, 01 Apr 2016 14:00:04

Utah wrote:Not speaking for screwedbygoogle, but shooting fast or slow…grip DOES MATTER.

How so?

If you properly align the handgun with the target and pull the trigger until the handgun discharges without disturbing the handgun's alignment, then you will hit the target. How you grip the handgun does not really matter when shooting slowly. However, if you want to shoot quickly, then managing recoil becomes important. By managing recoil well you can fire both rapidly and accurately. How you grip the handgun directly affects how well you can manage recoil.

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby twidpa » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 09:00:26

"If you properly align the handgun with the target and pull the trigger until the handgun discharges without disturbing the handgun's alignment, then you will hit the target. How you grip the handgun does not really matter when shooting slowly. "

Assuming the goal here is to shoot as accurate as your body/ firearm/ ammo combination is able, and adding in the fact that the art of the trigger pull is congruent with the grip of the pistol as the trigger finger is part of the gripping hand, how could the grip not matter in slow or fast shooting? The above statement seems to come from a plinker rather than a pistolero or competitive shooter.
No offense intended to the plinker.
T

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
twidpa
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
rifle pistol and shotgun

Postby HilarityEnsues » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 17:43:09

I just grab er one handed and let it rip

HilarityEnsues
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Adam

Postby Chasbo00 » Mon, 11 Apr 2016 18:39:35

twidpa wrote:Assuming the goal here is to shoot as accurate as your body/ firearm/ ammo combination is able, and adding in the fact that the art of the trigger pull is congruent with the grip of the pistol as the trigger finger is part of the gripping hand, how could the grip not matter in slow or fast shooting? The above statement seems to come from a plinker rather than a pistolero or competitive shooter.
No offense intended to the plinker.
T

See the grip demoed at 2:30 in the below video.

I seriously doubt Adam Painchaud could accurately shoot 5 rounds per second using this grip, yet he has no problem frequently demonstrating an accurate shot using this grip in his classes - so long as he shoots slowly.

Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby twidpa » Tue, 12 Apr 2016 09:24:19

I see your point. You are completely correct. Forget my obviously erroneous idea. Thank you for showing me the light.
T

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
twidpa
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
rifle pistol and shotgun

Return to Handguns/Pistols