Gunmaster 13 Pc .30 Caliber Rifle Cleaning Kit13 Pc .30 Caliber Rifle Cleaning Kit
Gunmaster
    Gunmaster Super Deluxe Universal 61 Pc Clng KitSuper Deluxe Universal 61 Pc Clng Kit
Gunmaster
    Gunmaster Uni. Slct 30 Pc .22 cal & larger Clng KitUni. Slct 30 Pc .22 cal & larger Clng Kit
Gunmaster

M&P .40 VS Glock 22

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

M&P .40 VS Glock 22

Postby Alex » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:19:36

Hey VGOF,

So I never thought in a million years I'd say this, but I'm thinking of replacing my Glock.
After I got my Armed License to work as security, I decided to pick up a full-size service pistol. I bought my Glock 22, and I like it very much. (I shoot well with it to boot)

So I happily entered my local gun store today and happened to see the M&P's they had on display. Now the owner of the store (and several of his staff) carry & swear by their M&P pistols. I decided to see for myself what they were like in person.

All I can say is.....WOW. I have not had such a comfortable grip in ANY weapon besides a M1911. Upon further inspection, I also saw that the M&P had some neat features that I kinda wish I had on my Glock.

So now I have a dilema.

My main constraints are the following: Budget, and Caliber. I can only carry the caliber I qualified with (.40 S&W). I can also only afford one handgun.

I basically want to get some input from those of you that have shot the M&P .40 (If you've shot a Glock 22 also, that'd be great!)

My biggest factors in picking one of the two:
-I like the thumb safety of the M&P. Having no secondary safety makes me nervous.
-I like the "Feel" of the M&P better. It sits better in my hand.
-I like the simplicity, ease of maintenance, and ease of obtaining parts for the Glock.
-Magazine capacity is about the same. No issues here.
-I shoot the Glock well, but it's not entirely comfortable to shoot for me. I can't really explain it.

I want your thoughts, let me have it!

-Alex
"In God we trust, all others will be checked for warrants."

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Alex
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alex

My Arsenal:
Sorry, I sold all of mine.

Next Firearm:
A scary rifle with a high-capacity clip

Re: M&P .40 VS Glock 22

Postby mk4 » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:59:30

sig sauer p229r .40s&w
;-)

j/k. i just really like hammer guns over strikers.
good luck in the decision process.
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Postby Alex » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 10:41:07

Try as I may, I can't fall in love with any Sig I've ever held/shot. Same thing with any of the Springfield's.

Alex
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby jrswanson1 » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 11:33:17

Not a big fan of either gun. If you shoot one better than the other, get the one you do better with. Lots of parts out there for the M&P. Have you shot one yet?

jrswanson1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
3 AR-15s
CETME
Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08
Win 94 .45 Colt
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm
Rem 870 Express Super Mag
Rem 11-87P
Spanish SxS 12 Gauge
ParaOrdnance P16-40 .40 S&W
CZ-75B 9mm
Ruger Mark II
CVA Magnum black powder rifle
Remington 700 Sendero II in 300 WM
Keltec PF9
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt
RIA 1911 Bright Nickel .45 ACP
Enfield No. 1 Mark III*
Vz54/91
Vz52
Model of 1917 Enfield
Fazakerly No. 4 Mk I South African issued
Lithgow No. 1 Mk. III
Vz-24
Ishapore 2a
Enfield No.1 Mk III Republic of Ireland issued

Next Firearm:
Who am I kidding

Postby Aroooo » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 13:14:31

If you already have the Glock, and shoot it well, keep it. There are things you can do to/for the Glock to make the grip more comfortable if that is the main issue.

As far as manual safeties go - and this is only my opinion - if your gun is in a good holster and your trigger finder is well trained, then manual safeties are unnecessary. I speak from direct experience. I used to never want/buy a gun without one.
NRA Certified Instructor and Training Counselor
Visit us at http://www.vagunsafety.com

Aroooo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Tony

My Arsenal:
Favorites: Sig P245, Glock 23, E. German Makarov, Colt AR-15 Match, Marlin 1894 Cowboy

Next Firearm:
Sig P229 DAK

Postby czub » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:54:27

I too own a glock 22 and rented an m&p at a range in va beach. Fell in love with it immediately. Always liked the glock but the m&p is sooo much more comfortable with a better stock trigger. You can get as good of or slightly better trigger with the glock if you change a few things but then if you ever have to use it for real it could be an issue. I wish I could have some alone time with an m&p to see how easy it is to work on/replace parts. Either way I'll probably get one as soon as I can.

czub
On Target
On Target

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
Badger on a pole.

Postby ffhounddog » Fri, 10 Feb 2012 09:10:36

I had a M&P40 for the longest time but then bought a Glock 23 gen4 and I prefer the gen 4 better than the M&P40. The M&P is a good gun had a few teething issues and when we were getting our new guns we had a few more issues with the M&P than the Gen4 22.

Smiths are good guns and you have to shoot what you are comfortable with. The M&P for parts at least in NOVA I can find parts for them in the local gun shops here.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
ffhounddog
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Rich

My Arsenal:
I have a Glock, Sig, HK, and LWRCi and what my job gives me.

Next Firearm:
HK P30 or another P2000/USPc

Postby Alex » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:03:46

So, figured I'd follow up on my thread.

I sold the Glock, and bit the bullet on an M&P .40

I can honestly say, after playing around with it, and adjusting the back-strap, I think I made a good call. The weapon is SUPER comfy in my hands, and I just like the overall feel better.

I'll be putting some rounds downrange tomorrow, and I'll throw up a range report/Pics.

-Alex

Alex
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby mk4 » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:39:22

really interesting, Alex...

i got to shoot an m&p .40 rental over the weekend at pss in roanoke with my brother. he shot it first and the first thing he said was "it hurts my trigger finger". now, i taught him to shoot the generally accepted way, using the pad of the trigger finger to press (vs squeeze) the trigger. next i shot it and, sure enough, it kinda zinged. not hurt, really, just kinda uncomfortable. moving the finger to use the first joint crease on the trigger solved the 'zing', but is also harder to control movements. we went back to my sig p229r and my edc p239 and no issues at all. in the end, i passed the p229r to him and now i'm in the hunt for a 1911 pattern gun.
:clap:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Postby rlnthndr » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:08:54

When did PSS get their FFL back?

I was over there a few weeks ago breaking in my USP and they did not have it back yet or atleast no rentals or firearms in sight.

Also waving a hand at a local.

rlnthndr
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby mk4 » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 15:16:56

no idea.
last saturday is the first and only time i've been there. they had about 20 rental guns in the case.

in addition to the m&p .40, we also rented a sig 1911. the gun had some issues, but the guys stripped and fixed it, while giving me a different gun, of my choice, to try out while they worked. all-in-all a nice visit. we'd go back.

mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Postby rlnthndr » Fri, 17 Feb 2012 23:06:15

Interesting, they have the potential to be a great place and were before current management owned it.

Basically they tempoorarily llost there ffl license as well as being fined by another group. Glad they got it all straightened out as it is the only local place I am aware oof that rents firearms. I will have to swing by and try one of the m&p pistols out. I was debating between several pieces for my next pistol and ended up with a uspc. Now if I could find someone with an LEM trigger to try out. I may just order one and swap as I could always swap back and the kits move quick even used.

rlnthndr
Sighting In
Sighting In

M&P .40 VS Glock 22

Postby jwinkeler » Tue, 27 Mar 2012 11:22:09

I own an M&P 9 w/o the thumb safety and a glock 22, id go with the M&P just feels better and the triggers more comfortable

jwinkeler
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
remington 870 police
glock 22
berretta 92 fs

Postby ffhounddog » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 09:04:30

ALex,

Now that you have the M&P40 I would take a look at the M&P40c if you can have a backup. I have a Glock 27 backing up my Glock 23 and my wife carries a Glock 22 backed up by a Glock 27.

Rich

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
ffhounddog
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Rich

My Arsenal:
I have a Glock, Sig, HK, and LWRCi and what my job gives me.

Next Firearm:
HK P30 or another P2000/USPc

Postby scrubber3 » Mon, 23 Apr 2012 02:13:55

Let us know how it shoots.
I had a SCAR 17 and 16. I also had a bunch of Glocks and a couple H&K pistols. Oh and a DDM4, but I sold everything when our government told me these dangerous tools can actually hurt someone. Apparently they grow legs and go on killing sprees.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
scrubber3
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: JW

My Arsenal:
SCAR-H, Glock 30, Glock 19, Glock 26, Mosin Nagant, LRB AR decked out.
Colts & Kimbers are what you show your friends.
Glocks are what you show your enemies.

Next Firearm:
MG 42

Return to Handguns/Pistols