Feed issues

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Feed issues

Postby tangodown » Fri, 29 Apr 2016 06:41:41

So I got that Bersa(Series 95 .380), and while it fires true and accurate, I am having a feed issue on the stock Bersa mag. It will feed shoot and eject the first 4 rounds, then on the 5th round it will fail to feed from the mag to the breach? Now I have bought an after market mag for it, and it seems to have reduced the feed issue, but it continues to persist.

I am not sure what the issue is. It doesnt matter the brand of ammo either. Is it a feed ramp, follower plate, spring pressure or a shooter issue possibly? I have never run across this issue before, any imput would be appreciated.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Re: Feed issues

Postby FiremanBob » Fri, 29 Apr 2016 07:27:24

If four feed fine, it isn't a feed ramp issue. I'd go with spring pressure or possibly a burr near the top of the mag that the follower plate hits on the last round.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby tangodown » Fri, 29 Apr 2016 14:40:58

didnt even think abou that, will file all edges smooth. see if that fixes it
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Postby bali » Sat, 08 Oct 2016 19:23:28

i've seen people let their thumbs (un-noticed of course) put friction on the slide, causing occasional, or frequent malfunctions that drive the smith crazy trying to find the reason for! :-) but if it always happens on a give round in the stack, then, yes, it's something about the spring, follower or mag body at that point in the cycle.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Return to Handguns/Pistols