Favorite Types of Pistol Iron Sights

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Favorite Types of Pistol Iron Sights

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 18:41:30

Ok; so if you had to choose a favorite, which type of pistol iron sight would be your preference?
Glock's rectangular patridge sight? Perhaps the notched express?

Maybe you prefer red dot/reflex, laser sights, or something crazier...

Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

Next Firearm:
Definitely this - http://tinyurl.com/kgrumfk

Re: Favorite Types of Pistol Iron Sights

Postby Mindflayer » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 19:17:58

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby widefat » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:08:34

I Kinda like the sights on my Kahr - (not my pic, but just like mine)
The United States of America:
Born: 4 July, 1776
Died: 6 November, 2012

I am a Native American. I was Born here.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: ryry

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 20:42:06

As far as iron sights go (such an outdated expression given modern materials), I have had example B on every pistol I have ever owned except my Colt Cattleman. The Colt had a sight picture like example A, but the rear sight was a fixed notch/groove in the frame.

I have never tried ghost rings, but I have seen some folks put them on Glocks. I wonder if it would help with quick target acquisition?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Chasbo00 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 21:28:41

B with a red fiber front and plain black rear.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 22:52:05

widefat - I also like their sights. Which model Kahr do you have? I've been looking at their CW45.

MarcSpaz - Ghost rings are great...I can only imagine how well they'd work on a Glock.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Democracy does not guarantee equality of conditions - it only guarantees equality of opportunity.

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 30 Jul 2015 23:32:20

WVUBeta1904 wrote:MarcSpaz - Ghost rings are great...I can only imagine how well they'd work on a Glock.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

I've used them on my M4 clones. They are pretty cool there for sure. I would love to find someone who has a pistol with a set I could look through or go to the range with someone to try one on a pistol.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby widefat » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 05:51:39

WVUBeta1904 wrote:widefat - I also like their sights. Which model Kahr do you have? I've been looking at their CW45.

I have a CM9. NIce little pocket pistol.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 14:36:26

MarcSpaz wrote:I would love to find someone who has a pistol with a set I could look through or go to the range with someone to try one on a pistol.

If I ever go that far with mine, you'll be the first to know when my next range trip is :bigthumb:

widefat wrote:I have a CM9. NIce little pocket pistol.

Are you convinced enough to use it as one of your EDC options?

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:

Postby widefat » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:13:21

widefat wrote:I have a CM9. NIce little pocket pistol.

WVU wrote:Are you convinced enough to use it as one of your EDC options?

Yep - year round.

widefat
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

My Arsenal:
Louisville Slugger, Ash
MagLite, 13"

Next Firearm:
Aluminum, Softball

Postby M1A4ME » Fri, 31 Jul 2015 19:39:22

When I was younger and my eyes worked, "B" was on all my handguns.

Now I like "B" with white dots, or tritium dots (only have night sights on a couple/three handguns. The ones that are loaded all the time.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Marshall357Dillon » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 11:10:56

I am almost 70, and my eyes are not what they used to be. When I shoot at the range, I always practice quick target acquisition, as HD is my primary concern. I find that the B type (like you'll find on the G19) gives my eyes the quickest acquisition. I don't know, maybe the brain finds it easy to align the three tops of the posts for the vertical alinement, , and the daylight space between them gives a quick center for left-right positioning. The white front dot and the white rectangular horseshoe rear gives a good contrast also, which helps fast acquisition. I can find my target really fast with the G19 sights, even with blurry vision (I do not use my glasses when shooting). However, I do prefer ghost sights on a long gun. Go figure.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Marshall357Dillon
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: John

My Arsenal:
various 9mm 38spl and 357 handguns, 12 ga shotguns

Next Firearm:
CZ97B

Postby Ironbear » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 12:39:44

MarcSpaz wrote:I have never tried ghost rings, but I have seen some folks put them on Glocks. I wonder if it would help with quick target acquisition?

I've read something in the past from a USPSA or 3-gunner that tried them. Said they helped with longer range accuracy but slowed him down for faster stuff. Apparently, the problem is that on rifles the ring is close to your eye and blurs away when you look through it, while on a pistol it is far enough away that it doesn't "ghost". You have to hunt to find the front sight through the ring and the top of the ring tends to obscure the front sight.

I have to say I was intrigued by the idea too, but if it was a "better" solution the gun gamers would be all over it, and I'm just not seeing that.

As to the original question, I prefer "B" and consider "D" some of the most awful sights ever. "F" and "C" come across as bad too.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 14:08:38

Good point about the lack of ghosting on that back ring. Completely overlooked that as a possibility.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 15:33:29

I haven't shot for 2-3 months until this past Saturday, at which time I ran a few rounds through several different 1911s (none of them had milspec sights - all were more or less version B). This was my first outing since getting new glasses. To my distress, I found my accuracy had suffered significantly. Part was lack of practice, but I also figured out that for some reason I don't seem to be able to see the sights except as a blurry shadow. Time for some of those white dots, I reckon.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Chasbo00 » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 17:21:33

My shooting glasses' prescription has my dominant eye focused for the front sight and the other eye focused for distance - works pretty well.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby dorminWS » Tue, 01 Sep 2015 17:44:11

Chasbo00 wrote:My shooting glasses' prescription has my dominant eye focused for the front sight and the other eye focused for distance - works pretty well.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Might have to try that. Mine have bifocals AND prisms in them - might be tricky, and will certainly be expensive. Thanks for the tip.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby screwedbygoogle » Tue, 22 Sep 2015 13:03:35

http://www.advantagetactical.com/handgu ... s-glock-42

I bought several sets of these when the first came out.

Since that time the greed factor has driven the price up and the quality down.

The next time I get ready to order a new set of sights I will seriously consider some of these other sights.

However, I found my match scores went up as much as 20 points after I installed the Pyrmid sights, so I am biased.

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!

screwedbygoogle
On Target
On Target

Postby AlanM » Sat, 26 Sep 2015 07:51:36

If your problem is not being able to focus on your sights and the target at the same time I suggest that you use an aperture to sight through. I used to have one that clipped onto my glasses frame that had several different sized holes. It was a great help for accuracy at the range. Unfortunately I've lost track of it.

I won't go into the science of why these work but if you're a photographer the simple answer is that you're stopping down your eye so as to have a larger depth of field. (higher f-number).

I can find two products still on the market to accomplish this:
Hawkeye Shooters Optic Aid
and
EyePal Peep Sight

If anyone is interested I've come up with a way to produce hundreds of black vinyl film circular patches of varying apertures for an investment of about $30, the cost of the EyePal.
Due to copyright and patent considerations I'm fearful of publishing my shopping list here, but if you're interested PM me.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby WVUBeta1904 » Sat, 26 Sep 2015 09:27:04

I'm considering putting some XS Big Dot Tritium sights on one or two pistols. Just picked up a discounted sight pusher tool that will come in handy sooner or later. I'll post some pics if/when it's done.

By the way, this will put me from the "B" style sights, to somewhere along the lines of "C" or "D"

WVUBeta1904
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Next Firearm:

Next

Return to Handguns/Pistols