[Review] Beware of the ISSC M-22

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

[Review] Beware of the ISSC M-22

Postby Denny1944 » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:02:06

I don't want to badmouth or be all pissy about a new gun that has just come on the market, however, I owe it to my fellow shooters to pass this along.
The M-22 is designed as a mini-glock look alike. That is fine. It seems to be reasonably priced as it sells in the upper $300s. Now, let me pass along my evaluative comments:
Pro's: Nice design concept
Great safeties
Outstanding addition of a "decocker"
Comes with two slide return springs (one for low velocity ammo and one for high velocity)
Nice presentation/storage case.
Very simple and easy to field strip.

Ok you are saying, then what is lacking?

Con's: The pistol stovepipes or jams about 1 in 5 rounds. Consistently!
(yes, I tried 4 grades of ammo varying from match to cheap! same same)
The pistol is small for my paw! Way too small!
Safety in trigger is ribbed and rough, in fact, slightly painful!
Overall, the pistol seems somewhat flimsy especially when you consider you
have laid down nearly 400!
The magazines are just cheap made. I also think this is the source of the ammo
not feeding, jamming, etc.
Final observations and comments: The M-22 in concept is really neat. The designer sure put enough safeties and what should be good features into the firearm. It is a shame, however, they skimped on a couple of things which just make the pistol unreliable, frustrating to use and could be potentially dangerous.

By the way, the firearms emporium was great. They gave back near full credit (minus restock fee) and were readily amendable to trade up to a known reliable pistol. I give them praise for their good faith and helpfulness. In the process, they came out about 200 bucks ahead and they have a happy customer. :-)

Denny1944
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Denny

My Arsenal:
Pistols:3 x S&W K frames(2x 22, 1x 38sp Cmbt Masterpiece), Ruger MKIII Competitor, Beretta 92FS, XD9 sub-compact 9mm.
Rifles: 22s: Winchester Pump '06, Savage, Marlin; 30 30 Winchester, 30 06 Remington

Shotguns: Richman 12ga over under, Marlin 20ga; and vintage Iver John Bicycleworks 12ga (1897).

Re: [Review] Beware of the ISSC M-22

Postby allingeneral » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:06:16

Thanks for the review, Denny.

Here's a picture of the firearm if anyone is interested:

issc-m22.jpg
issc-m22.jpg (9.49 KiB) Viewed 26035 times

And a link to their site if you want to read about it.
http://www.issc.at/m22.html

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby bossgvr4 » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 14:45:41

A Walther P22 woulda kicked that things A$$ for $50 more.

What did you end up purchasing ?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bossgvr4
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Dave

My Arsenal:
Assorted for engagements @ various ranges

Postby allingeneral » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:17:30

Yessiree! That will be the next handgun I buy. The kids should really like it. Hell, I'll probably like it too!

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby BluemontGlock » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:19:44

Fired my P22 yesterday... it IS one great little shooter...
was feeding it Federal Lightings and CCi Stingers...

no one is going to stop and say "oh its only a .22" when this is rattling off... and i find the single action pull on this pistol to be
light, crisp and clean = accuracy...

I really like the ambi mag release, i tend to use my index finger on my right hand to action the release, not corrctly alingn'd with my thumb..

I did shoot a few bullseyes at 40 ft and just continue to be impressed by the design... although not picutred above, the mag extension really lets you get a good grip on it... even yesterday, in sticky 93' heat...
Be particular, and be vigilant, as the enemy will only attack on two occasions:
When you're ready or when you're not ready.

Also never forget, that everyone who shows up, is not necessarily there to help.

BluemontGlock
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Eliot

Next Firearm:
.45 pistol

Postby Denny1944 » Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:28:30

Rick:
Howdy! Glad to be of help re. the M-22.
The trade up/buy netted me:
Ruger MKIII Govt Competition Target Pistol: competition grips, 6 7/8" barrel
and all the goodies that come with the Ruger. :-) Needless to say, I am one
happy camper.

Denny

Denny1944
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Denny

My Arsenal:
Pistols:3 x S&W K frames(2x 22, 1x 38sp Cmbt Masterpiece), Ruger MKIII Competitor, Beretta 92FS, XD9 sub-compact 9mm.
Rifles: 22s: Winchester Pump '06, Savage, Marlin; 30 30 Winchester, 30 06 Remington

Shotguns: Richman 12ga over under, Marlin 20ga; and vintage Iver John Bicycleworks 12ga (1897).

Postby clohman » Mon, 22 Nov 2010 13:26:45

I had the same feeding problem with the SIG Mosquito. Using CCI Blazer ammunition, I've not had any misfeeds with either the ISSC or Mosquito. I teach NRA Basic classes every other weekend and use these guns for students - about 300 a year. BTW, the Walther P22 digests everything.

Chip

clohman
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby cabrera » Thu, 07 Apr 2011 19:22:01

ISSC M22 22 cal

I just picked one up for $199 new and out of the box I knew right away I liked the feel of the M22. The weight of the M22 was balanced and the stock grip and its divided finger sections fit my hand perfectly. I could toggle with my thumb the safety action and slide release & magazine release without an issue.

The M22 comes stock with a FULL Weaver rail vs. Glock, which only has 1 notch in their rail and an adjustable rear sight for training purposes. Basically it’s a 22 cal Glock 17 (same size overall) training clone. I feel they did a really nice job with regards to the polymer frame and action as well as iron sights.

It has a single stack 10 round magazine and a large magazine well. The slide release, magazine release, & takedown lever are similar in style to the Glock. The biggest difference is that the M22 is a single action only pistol. The most obvious difference to a Glock is that it has a hammer & safety/decocker. Other safety features it has are: a magazine safety which will not allow the chambered round to fire with clip removed and a drop safety (firing pin safety) which is only disengaged when the trigger is pulled. If, after a fall, the hammer was released, then the firing pin would not be activated. It also has an integrated trigger lock.

What I really liked is that it has an adjustable rear site with Glock type U shape notch as well as a larger front sight but similar in style to the Glock 17.

After inspection was over, I took it to the range and tested it. The loading of the ten-shot magazine was easy. The magazine spring worked well and didn’t need to be beat in to load easily like other cheaper .22LR.

Those wide white sights allowed me to group nicely on the first few shots. Double & triple tapping was a breeze due to the M22 4 Lb trigger pull. The recoil was the same as all .22LR, nothing major. I shot another 12 magazines through it and each time grouping got tighter. One big observation: I did not have a single misfire or jam whatsoever. I was firing CCI Mini-Mags & Remington Thunderbolts.

Overall I was impressed with the Austrian engineering and attentiveness to detail in its design. The level of safety in all the components and the relatively low cost of 22LR ammo make this gun a great buy for economical target practice and training.

Technical data
Caliber .22LR
Capacity 10 rounds.
Action Single Action
Trigger weight 4 lbs.
Trigger travel 0.16 in.
Overall length 7.00 in.
Overall height 4.80 in.
Overall width 1.00 in.
Barrel length 4.00 in.
Sight length 5.50 in.
Weight (W/O magazine) 21.4 ozs.