Article: Army wants a harder-hitting pistol

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

Re: Article: Army wants a harder-hitting pistol

Postby skeeterss0 » Wed, 09 Jul 2014 07:51:31

Palladin wrote:I move they adopt the .50 Desert Eagle :pistol:

I doubt the newer namby pamby generation could handle the.50........not even sure i could.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:
not sure, revolver or 20 gauge shotty

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 09 Jul 2014 08:49:22

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Good idea. It could double as an entrenching tool. Just point it at the ground and pull the trigger 2-3 times. Instant foxhole. And when you run out of ammo, just grab the barrel and use it as a sledgehammer. :hysterical:
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby AppleaDay » Thu, 10 Jul 2014 07:49:40

The army will probably stick with the requirement for an external safety so no Glock.
A S&W M&P in .45 might be the ticket. They even make them in tactical doo-doo color. :whistle:

AppleaDay
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby jgreiner » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 13:43:45

dusterdude wrote:Betcha it will be a 40

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it will be the .40, there are issues about it's stopping power with ball ammo. And wear issues. It appears the .45 is leading the discussions, but we may see a tupperware .45 rather than a 1911 format, due to ease of cleaning, etc.
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.” – Benjamin Franklin

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
jgreiner
On Target
On Target

First Name: Jeff

My Arsenal:
S&W 1911 SC E Series Bobtail
S&W Model 66 4"
S&W M&P 9mm Pro
Ruger Mark 1
Marlin 39A
Winchester Model 67A
Winchester Model 37A
Ruger 10/22 Takedown

Next Firearm:
HD shotgun

Postby jgreiner » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 13:44:33

skeeterss0 wrote:

I doubt the newer namby pamby generation could handle the.50........not even sure i could.

I either carry a .45 acp, or a .357 magnum. Nothing else.
“We must hang together, gentlemen…else, we shall most assuredly hang separately.” – Benjamin Franklin

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
jgreiner
On Target
On Target

First Name: Jeff

My Arsenal:
S&W 1911 SC E Series Bobtail
S&W Model 66 4"
S&W M&P 9mm Pro
Ruger Mark 1
Marlin 39A
Winchester Model 67A
Winchester Model 37A
Ruger 10/22 Takedown

Next Firearm:
HD shotgun

Postby dusterdude » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 16:07:42

I do hope its a .45,love em

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
dusterdude
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
bersa 380,taurus pt145 and m1 garand

Postby dorminWS » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 17:07:25

jgreiner wrote:
I doubt it will be the .40, there are issues about it's stopping power with ball ammo. And wear issues. It appears the .45 is leading the discussions, but we may see a tupperware .45 rather than a 1911 format, due to ease of cleaning, etc.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I know folks who like to call the .40 S&W the .40"short & weak". I've probably not shot over 500 rounds of it, and really have no opinion about the round. I don't have much that fires it except a couple of Glock 22s; and I'm not much of a Glock fan. Everybody KNOWS what I'm partial to; but I, too doubt they would re-adopt the 1911.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference." -Thomas Jefferson
Gun-crazy? Me? I'd say the gun-crazy ones are the ones that don’t HAVE one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby 0ne5hot » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 18:18:12

"The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy’s will to be imposed on him."
~ Sun Tzu

0ne5hot
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
The ~6" of grey matter between my ears...

Next Firearm:
maybe a handgun???

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 18:19:18

I think a modern double stack design .45 would be awesome. As nice as the traditional 1911's are, I would think ammo capacity would be a concern. A 14-15 round single stack would be too long for practical use. Sig P227 with a 14 +1 would get the job done nicely. HK, SA, and Para-Ordnance all have nice double stack .45's

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby grumpyMSG » Fri, 11 Jul 2014 20:29:03

Given that the M11/ Sig 228 (compact pistol in military terms) and the Sig 226 both made it into service with only a decocker for safety, I wouldn't be surprised with a double action/ single action pistol makes it into specification, I would speculate it won't be a plastic/polymer weapon and it will be equipped with a rail. I also don't believe anything will come of this competition, like the past few pistol and rifle/carbine competitions and it will just be another waste of money.
You just have to ask yourself, is he telling you the truth based on knowledge and experience or spreading internet myths?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
grumpyMSG
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Several Classics, ARs and a few Pistols

Next Firearm:
It'll ask to come home with me...

Postby Chasbo00 » Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:09:01

grumpyMSG wrote: I also don't believe anything will come of this competition, like the past few pistol and rifle/carbine competitions and it will just be another waste of money.

My thinking as well. It's just not a priority for the Army at large and the special outfits can already get what they want off the shelf.
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby WRW » Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:14:42

Chasbo00 wrote:
grumpyMSG wrote: I also don't believe anything will come of this competition, like the past few pistol and rifle/carbine competitions and it will just be another waste of money.

My thinking as well. It's just not a priority for the Army at large and the special outfits can already get what they want off the shelf.

Here on the sidelines, patting' my foot.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby trailrunner » Sat, 12 Jul 2014 09:39:53

I give this less than a 50-50 chance of becoming a formal program of record. I just can't imagine that the pistol was that important during the last two wars. Sure, they'll find a case where somebody shot an insurgent 7 times with their M9 and he kept coming. Guns are like camo - old school things that people love to debate over and over. The army made a big mistake with their choice of ACU a decade ago, and now they are fixing it, but I don't see the same thing happening for their pistols.

The real debate would be whether the military should use hollow points, or is it more important to give the appearance of being kind and gentle when killing someone?

trailrunner
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: trailrunner

My Arsenal:
two squirt guns and a rubber-band gun

Next Firearm:
nerf gun

Postby BertMacklin » Sat, 12 Jul 2014 10:24:21

trailrunner wrote:I give this less than a 50-50 chance of becoming a formal program of record. I just can't imagine that the pistol was that important during the last two wars. Sure, they'll find a case where somebody shot an insurgent 7 times with their M9 and he kept coming. Guns are like camo - old school things that people love to debate over and over. The army made a big mistake with their choice of ACU a decade ago, and now they are fixing it, but I don't see the same thing happening for their pistols.

The real debate would be whether the military should use hollow points, or is it more important to give the appearance of being kind and gentle when killing someone?

Hague convention prevents such things as expanding ammunition. However, last I checked they still used depleted uranium rounds so I am sure the military is not for keeping a gentle hand when killing, but anything other than ball is a war crime, or at least violation of the convention.

BertMacklin
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Glock 22 Gen. 3
Rem. 597
T/C Venture 30-06
H&R Topper 20

Postby AJ86 » Sat, 12 Jul 2014 19:00:37

I could see them going with a Smith and Wesson M&P in .40 if the went striker fired and Sig Sauer P226 in .40 for the double/single action and decocker... Although, we may be surprised with an HK model on the drawing board.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

AJ86
On Target
On Target

First Name: Andrew

My Arsenal:
JC Higgins model 29 .22LR
Savage 111 .300WinMag
Smith and Wesson M&P Shield .40S&W
Sig Sauer P226 .40S&W
Kel Tec P32 .32acp
Savage 93 .17HMR
CVA Stalker .270Win
CVA Buckhorn .50 BP
Remington 870 Express Magnum 12g
M1 Carbine .30
Japanese Type 97 6.5x50mm Arisaka
Pepperbox pistol .45 BP

Postby trailrunner » Sat, 12 Jul 2014 21:46:10

BertMacklin wrote:Hague convention prevents such things as expanding ammunition. However, last I checked they still used depleted uranium rounds so I am sure the military is not for keeping a gentle hand when killing, but anything other than ball is a war crime, or at least violation of the convention.

The US didn't ratify the part of the Hague convention that prohibits expanding ammunition, and therefore isn't technically bound by the treaty. I also believe that both parties in the conflict have to have signed the treaty for it to be effective.

The depleted uranium is generally an AP round, chosen for its very high density and some other properties.

trailrunner
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: trailrunner

My Arsenal:
two squirt guns and a rubber-band gun

Next Firearm:
nerf gun

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 12 Jul 2014 23:50:05

trailrunner wrote:...The army made a big mistake with their choice of ACU a decade ago...

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby BertMacklin » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 00:11:04

trailrunner wrote:
BertMacklin wrote:Hague convention prevents such things as expanding ammunition. However, last I checked they still used depleted uranium rounds so I am sure the military is not for keeping a gentle hand when killing, but anything other than ball is a war crime, or at least violation of the convention.

The US didn't ratify the part of the Hague convention that prohibits expanding ammunition, and therefore isn't technically bound by the treaty. I also believe that both parties in the conflict have to have signed the treaty for it to be effective.

The depleted uranium is generally an AP round, chosen for its very high density and some other properties.

One of those properties is that it turns the next generation of locals into a still born freak show in jars.

BertMacklin
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Glock 22 Gen. 3
Rem. 597
T/C Venture 30-06
H&R Topper 20

Postby cwfunrider » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 19:34:05

I know a couple SF guys who said they carried what ever side arm they wanted in the sand box on missions. The one I know the best carried a Glock 19. One of my absolute favorite hands guns.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 13 Jul 2014 19:55:46

I've heard the same. One of my buddies (Army Captain) said he took his Glock 22, EOTech/magnifier, sling and his own mags for his issue AR on his last 2 deployments.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

PreviousNext

ads

Return to Handguns/Pistols