1911 Grip Bushings

Handgun discussions - Handgun ammunition selection, gun modifications, pictures. Tell us about your handgun.

1911 Grip Bushings

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 12 Jul 2016 14:37:03

Now I know why the dude sold his gun... The grip bushings are coming out with the panel screws.

Any one know a highly qualified experienced 1911 gunsmith that does excellent work with these?

I appreciate it.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Re: 1911 Grip Bushings

Postby FiremanBob » Tue, 12 Jul 2016 15:31:12

Call Patrick Heraghty at Classic American Gunsmith in Charlottesville.

434-989-1263
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby M1A4ME » Tue, 12 Jul 2016 16:11:29

I had that happen once on my Combat Commander.

I used a pair of pliers to get a good grip on the bushing (after taking the grip panels off) and then used a common screw driver to unscrew the grip screw. Worked for me just fine.

Then I degreased the threads on the frame and the bushing and used a wider bladed (not thicker, wider) screw driver back into the frame after applying some blue Loctite to the bushing threads.

No more issues after that. Uh, probably about 35 to 37 years ago.

If you don't want to try to reuse the old bushings, order some new ones and install them (again, degrease threads on the bushing and the frame and use some blue Loctite).

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby bali » Wed, 05 Oct 2016 17:53:59

the fix, with steel frames is simple, actually. Just silver braze them into place. Such work will then require re-finishing of the frame, most likely, altho heat control gel might be able to save the finish (where it shows, beyond the stock panels

In aluminum, about the best you can do is jb weld, and I'd add some pins thru the frame and into the stock panels, at other places, as insurance.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   International Practical Shooting Confederation (IPSC) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
bali
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Return to Handguns/Pistols