Yeti Shuns NRA

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Yeti Shuns NRA

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 21 Apr 2018 19:48:48

It appears that Yeti has severed ties with the NRA, pulling support for NRA youth programs, with no reason given:

http://floridapolitics.com/archives/261 ... ts-on-yeti

Glenn Reynolds suggested Orca coolers, as an alternative. I had already been eyeing RTIC coolers, as they are less expensive.

Currently, I use a Walmart knock-off of the Yeti cup; that thing keeps my coffee hot, far longer than it needs to. Indeed, I can pour in some hot coffee, and it can remain undrinkably boiling, for hours. Plenty effective, especially at $10-12.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Re: Yeti Shuns NRA

Postby Monkey » Sun, 22 Apr 2018 21:24:01

I've never been moved by Yeti products. Very expensive gear that provides a capability that many don't need. Interesting move, them dropping an organization who is has a well-established relationship with what should be their core target demographic.

Kinda like when Sleep Number beds dropped Laura Ingraham because of some adolescent hissy fit - uhhh...who gives a flip, cuz your beds are WAAAAAAAY expensive anyway...

Been looking at RTIC - slightly less performance for a heck of a lot less. WIll look at Orca too.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Monkey
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: J

My Arsenal:
Redacted

Next Firearm:
Whatever stray follows me home...

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 22 Apr 2018 22:28:56

Orca seems, from the very brief glance that I took, to fall in between RTIC and Yeti, price wise.

I feel the same way about Yeti, incidentally. I imagine that the only time I would be well served by such a cooler, would be during a week+ long power outage during a heat wave. I may have experienced that sort of thing once, in my lifetime. I'm just as happy with a cheaper cooler.

I wasn't aware that Sleep Number sponsored Laura Ingraham; much less that they dropped her.

Those that produce and market luxury items might want to consider their long-term strategies before reacting to short-term nuisances. A belligerent teenager, regardless how noisy, is far from wanting or affording a hyped up bed, cooler, or any other luxury item.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 22 Apr 2018 22:42:13

I saw this earlier today. I have never like Yeti and never purchased any of their products.

What I don't get is, why do businesses keep choosing to alienate half of the potential buyers in the country. I'll tell you this... NRA member or not, as word spreads, pro-2a people will stop doing business with them.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Fubar » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 05:45:53

MarcSpaz wrote:I saw this earlier today. I have never like Yeti and never purchased any of their products.

What I don't get is, why do businesses keep choosing to alienate half of the potential buyers in the country. I'll tell you this... NRA member or not, as word spreads, pro-2a people will stop doing business with them.

This......Can't think of one company that has realized BENIFITS from doing this.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Fubar
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: wayne

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 11:00:19

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby AlanM » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:04:34

How many school kids buy YETI products?
For that matter, how many anti-gun adults buy them?

Pardon the pun, but what's the "target" population for YETI?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:32:44

Rtic is the shiznit. It's also SUPPORTING the NRA, and putting out there they're willing to help in any way to the NRA Youth Foundation!

I got an acquaintance (stop calling him a "friend" as of late), he is friends with the Yeti guys, and said "Well it's their call", but he uses them for his charity. Also goes to Buffalo Wild Wings, Macados, Target, etc, etc. If his "2A principle" is inconvenienced, he pushes it by the way side. (shakes head)

He owns 4 guns, and spends thousands to "set them up".

He owns guns. He is not a "Gun owner", figured out that difference awhile back. When they come for HIM, like they will for ALL of us? I want him to say as they bag, tag, and carry him "But, but, I didn't support 2A like them!"

#HeIsAJackass

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 14:50:01

AlanM wrote:How many school kids buy YETI products?
For that matter, how many anti-gun adults buy them?

Pardon the pun, but what's the "target" population for YETI?

I don't know who the target market is... but I know its not freedom loving Americans.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:41:24

Oh they have back tracked like a mutha jank.... "NOOO!!! THE NRA IS MISCOMMUNICATING!"

:coffee:

It might be somewhere in the middle, but I think Yeti realized that they saturated their sportsmen market with overpriced injection molded coolers. And they wanted to try a new market.

(shrugs) REAL 2A supporters? Will eat yer face if you go Anti. To paraphrase "Tropic Thunder".

"....Never go full anti..."

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby SHMIV » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 23:37:10

Yeti is based in Austin, Texas. That should explain a lot. Austin is just Frisco in a Stetson. They guaged a move on local sentiment, and just assumed that everyone would be in agreement.

Obviously, they were wrong.

They can backtrack all they want, but now we see where they stand.

It's easy for me to say, "I'll never buy a Yeti!", just as it was easy for me to not do business with the NFL. I was already disinclined to do business with them. I am, however, more motivated to seek alternatives, and to tell others about them.

I have a theory that you could seriously improve the performance of a cheap, Walmart Igloo just by insulating the lid, and adding weather stripping and a latching mechanism. That route would be a whole lot cheaper.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Swampman » Tue, 24 Apr 2018 15:00:29

Who buys their overpriced crap anyway? $400 for for a 36 qt. cooler? Seriously? There are plenty of alternatives out there that are far less expensive, and they already get my business.
Progressives/Liberals - Promoting tyranny and a defenseless people since 1913.

Swampman
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jim

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 25 Apr 2018 00:03:08

SHMIV is 100% correct! If you did the foam insulation in a cheapo cooler, and weather stripped the lid, with better latches, You would INDEED make a better cooler!

All those Injection-Molds do is make it more indestructible. Bear-proof and such.

Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby AlanM » Wed, 25 Apr 2018 10:26:33

AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby Snakester » Wed, 25 Apr 2018 19:31:31

This will be more of a loss for Yeti then The NRA. I've got a Rubbermaid Cooler since 2004...I use it everyday. It's always in the back of my truck or strapped to the rear of my Gator. Let's see...Bought at a yard sale for $7 and used for 14 yrs........50 cents/year....What a deal !

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby Viper21 » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 06:26:02

Reverenddel wrote:Rtic is the shiznit. It's also SUPPORTING the NRA, and putting out there they're willing to help in any way to the NRA Youth Foundation!

I got an acquaintance (stop calling him a "friend" as of late), he is friends with the Yeti guys, and said "Well it's their call", but he uses them for his charity. Also goes to Buffalo Wild Wings, Macados, Target, etc, etc. If his "2A principle" is inconvenienced, he pushes it by the way side. (shakes head)

He owns 4 guns, and spends thousands to "set them up".

He owns guns. He is not a "Gun owner", figured out that difference awhile back. When they come for HIM, like they will for ALL of us? I want him to say as they bag, tag, and carry him "But, but, I didn't support 2A like them!"

#HeIsAJackass

HAHAHAHAHA....! Awesome Rev.... I can relate. Have an acquaintance or two of similar mindset. Ironically when referring to one the other day to an actual friend of mine, I used the exact same reference.

I agree with you distinction of owning guns vs. gun owner too. It's one of those distinction where, you'd have to be one to understand. At least in my opinion.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

Postby Viper21 » Thu, 26 Apr 2018 06:29:20

Snakester wrote:This will be more of a loss for Yeti then The NRA. I've got a Rubbermaid Cooler since 2004...I use it everyday. It's always in the back of my truck or strapped to the rear of my Gator. Let's see...Bought at a yard sale for $7 and used for 14 yrs........50 cents/year....What a deal !

Same here. I think most of the yeti clients have their coolers sitting in their garage, out of the way but, in plain site to make sure their "friends" see they are packing a yeti. :hysterical:

I carry a cooler daily. Have never thought my need required the expense of a yeti, & I am one of those guys that doesn't sweat buying quality tools when the need arises.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

Postby wittmeba » Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:39:44

I sent my comments and got this reply. Sounds like they are being flooded with comments -- good -- they earned them.

Thank you for reaching out to YETI Coolers! We are experiencing higher than expected email and phone volume at this time. We’re sorry for the delayed response. No one likes melted ice or waiting too long for an email so we are working to get back to you as soon as possible.

If your issue is urgent please don’t hesitate to give us a call at 512.394.9384 Monday-Friday 8am-5pm. We look forward to speaking with you.

Kind Regards,

The YETI Outfitters

customerservice@yeti.com

Edit: Just read the NRA said "Don't blow up your Yeti cooler" -- Cover their name with a NRA sticker.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government ... e-sticker/
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby SHMIV » Mon, 30 Apr 2018 20:34:13

Covering the Yeti logo with a NRA sticker makes a lot more sense. (Put a VGOF sticker on it, too!)

If you've already got the cooler, it's kind of silly to destroy it. What does Yeti care? They've made their money off of it already, so they really don't lose anything.

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby wittmeba » Tue, 01 May 2018 16:17:13

To Marc's point it does not take a rocket scientist to identify the market for your products. It won't be the kids of Parkland who would spend more on a pair of tennis shoes than their car.

The only place I have seen Yeti was an ad at an Outdoors Store and on Hunting and Gun shows in the afternoon on weekends. I could buy a $30.00 cooler new every year for 10 years for the cost of a Yeti.

So...drop by the NRA meeting in Dallas and pick up your Yeti cover stickers!!

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/a ... 81234.html
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Return to General Discussion