Wildlife? CC on private land? Some questions...

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Wildlife? CC on private land? Some questions...

Postby PulsatingBeaver » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 17:07:44

I have some questions that might be obvious but, i dont know the answers. First off, Are there snakes in NOVA? I mean has anyone seen them around here? Are they abundant here? Im asking becasue the weather is changing and the grass is growing. Pretty soon ill have to mow the lawn, and we a ton of lawn to cut. Half of my backyard is wooded and desolet, no one goes back there unless its me mowing the few patches of grass. Im terrified of snakes and any info would help.

Second topic. I dont have a CHP and cannot get one becasue im not 21 yet, im 19. I have a .22 revolver, can i conceal it while i cut the grass(on my own property) just in case there is a snake hiding in the grass?

PulsatingBeaver
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: pulsatingbeaver

My Arsenal:
.22lr
.223/5.56

Next Firearm:

Re: Wildlife? CC on private land? Some questions...

Postby Alex » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:57:55

IIrc, cc on your own property is ok under VA law. And if its not, you should be fine to oc.

As to the snakes, I haven't personally heard of nova being a snake area, but snakes are found most everywhere in VA, in some capacity. Usually, they come out of wooded areas to nest under foundations of houses, or hang out near wood piles or the like.

Hope it helps, and for what its worth, a good impact weapon might work better for your purposes.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"In God we trust, all others will be checked for warrants."

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Alex
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alex

My Arsenal:
Sorry, I sold all of mine.

Next Firearm:
A scary rifle with a high-capacity clip

Postby joeshmo » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 19:24:51

I have seen copperheads in nova and a ton of rat snakes.

joeshmo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: what

My Arsenal:
I'll never tell

Next Firearm:
red rider bb gun

Postby jdonovan » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 20:53:16

PulsatingBeaver wrote:I First off, Are there snakes in NOVA?

yes
I mean has anyone seen them around here?

yes
Are they abundant here?

no
Im terrified of snakes and any info would help.

get a riding lawnmower.

CC on your own property is fine. Just don't forget and walk across the street to talk to a neighbor.

jdonovan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby newdovo » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 21:12:58

Alex wrote:...for what its worth, a good impact weapon might work better for your purposes.

A shovel is a classic snake killer. Helps you keep your distance, too.
I've killed several snakes with a machete, also. The shovel was available, but it just seems cooler to use a machete. You do have to get closer, though. Oh, and if you have a sheath you can wear it on your belt.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
newdovo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: newdovo

Postby PulsatingBeaver » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:47:26

joeshmo wrote:I have seen copperheads in nova and a ton of rat snakes.

Im so paranoind now! SH%T

PulsatingBeaver
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
.22lr
.223/5.56

Next Firearm:

Postby PulsatingBeaver » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:49:35

Alex wrote:IIrc, cc on your own property is ok under VA law. And if its not, you should be fine to oc.

As to the snakes, I haven't personally heard of nova being a snake area, but snakes are found most everywhere in VA, in some capacity. Usually, they come out of wooded areas to nest under foundations of houses, or hang out near wood piles or the like.
Hope it helps, and for what its worth, a good impact weapon might work better for your purposes.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

One of the back corners of our yard is a huge pile of wood... im so terrified now. Also i once found a turtle in the pile, odd becasue we dont live near water.

PulsatingBeaver
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
.22lr
.223/5.56

Next Firearm:

Postby joeshmo » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 22:54:52

Dont be paranoid, I have only seen copper heads in rocky areas such as difficult run and great falls park. No reason to be scared of a rat snake, all they want to do is get away from.

joeshmo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: what

My Arsenal:
I'll never tell

Next Firearm:
red rider bb gun

Postby PulsatingBeaver » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 23:09:51

joeshmo wrote:Dont be paranoid, I have only seen copper heads in rocky areas such as difficult run and great falls park. No reason to be scared of a rat snake, all they want to do is get away from.

i sound like such a punk right now, but thats probably the most frighting thing to me. You will never see me at greatfalls ever again!

PulsatingBeaver
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
.22lr
.223/5.56

Next Firearm:

Postby sigster » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 23:31:39

I run into copperheads every year here at home. If you're that worried, get a good pair of leather boots and a pr of leather leggings for when you mow. Copperheads are mostly ankle/calf biters.
They like woodpiles, rocks, leaf piles, etc.

sigster
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Bobby

My Arsenal:
pointy stick and a big rock

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 16 Mar 2012 01:58:32

Beaver, here in Williamsburg, copperheads are pretty common. At this point, I've cut hundreds of square miles worth of ridiculously tall grass, and I've done so with out ever encountering a snake of any sort. I typically find copperheads when tromping through the woods. I've only found them near the house twice. Those instances are separated by two decades, and they were babies both times.

Just take your time, and pay attention to the ground around you.

As for the other snakes, Joe is right; they have about as much interest in a Beaver encounter as you've got in a snake encounter. They won't mess with you.
"God Almighty created simplicity. Complexity, inspired by the Great Deceiver, tends to be the province of men. " S. H. M., IV

I'm an American-American

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby Nemo24 » Fri, 16 Mar 2012 10:17:03

The vibration of the mover will get rid of most snakes you'd otherwise encounter on the open grounds. It's the ones in the tree branches ABOVE you that you have to worry about. They don't seem to care about the lawn mower noise.

Of the tree-dweller species' ( or "lurkers", as I call them), the worst one in the NoVa area is the Greater Bark Snake. The adults can reach up to 8 feet long and are a dull grey or dark brown in color (hence the name). They usually hunt prey by laying flat along thicker tree branches 6- to 10- feet above ground and dropping on wild game that happens by, simultaneously biting and constricting. Deer, cows, and horses are especially susceptible. Their eyesight is good but they mostly rely on their sense of smell ("tasting the air" with their tongues) to detect prey.

Basically, any medium- to large mammal with a thin hide is vulnerable to the Greater Bark Snake.

Good luck!

:roll:

Nemo24
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
None that the general public needs to know about...

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 16 Mar 2012 11:38:20

Copperheads and eastern diamondback rattle snakes are the only two poisonous snakes that are found in the NE part of the state.

Both are relatively uncommon in the more populated areas of NoVA.

The 'common' snakes... garters, black/grey rat, racers et-al are highly beneficial, and if possible please leave them alone. I understand you are afraid of them, but try to back away, they will probably head the other direction and you can avoid killing them.

The #1, best, snake prevention, is getting rid of the snakes food source. If there is no snake chow in the area they will move along to somewhere there is food.

jdonovan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby skeeterss0 » Fri, 16 Mar 2012 13:04:02

Of the tree-dweller species' ( or "lurkers", as I call them), the worst one in the NoVa area is the Greater Bark Snake. The adults can reach up to 8 feet long and are a dull grey or dark brown in color (hence the name). They usually hunt prey by laying flat along thicker tree branches 6- to 10- feet above ground and dropping on wild game that happens by, simultaneously biting and constricting. Deer, cows, and horses are especially susceptible. Their eyesight is good but they mostly rely on their sense of smell ("tasting the air" with their tongues) to detect prey.

Basically, any medium- to large mammal with a thin hide is vulnerable to the Greater Bark Snake.

Read more: post115816.html#p115816#ixzz1pIfxV1lh

Ok, the kid was paranoid enough about watching the ground, now he's gonna be looking up in all the trees too. :hysterical:
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:
not sure, revolver or 20 gauge shotty

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 18 Mar 2012 09:51:57

Nemo for the win... When you're using a gas mower, it shakes enough to send the scaled packin'...

A small yard hoe with a sharpened edge ain't cool looking, but long enough to dispatch the snake, and curved enough to hook it, and chuck it into the woods... Where mice and small birds will dance about it, and praise your name...

Otherwise, no worries about them.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby PulsatingBeaver » Sun, 18 Mar 2012 14:23:07

Nemo24 wrote:The vibration of the mover will get rid of most snakes you'd otherwise encounter on the open grounds. It's the ones in the tree branches ABOVE you that you have to worry about. They don't seem to care about the lawn mower noise.

Good luck!

:roll:

if this were the case i would book it to NY, i dont care for guns as much as i though... scary to think anyway. Thank you for the years of psych evaluation that i will need now...

PulsatingBeaver
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
.22lr
.223/5.56

Next Firearm:

Postby Nemo24 » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:22:37

Reverenddel wrote:Nemo for the win...

:first:

Nemo24
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
None that the general public needs to know about...

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 11:59:44

A few points about poisonous snakes:

I have more than once encountered copperheads in berry bushes and even laurel thickets at or above eye-level while trout fishing or berry picking. I think they must do that to try to catch birds. There's nothing like being busy fishing or picking huckleberries and suddenly realizing you are FACE-TO-FACE with a copperhead. I've never picked berries or fished in NOVA, but it dang sure happens in SW VA. I've also seen copperheads not only around water; Ive seen them go into a lake and swim.

I fear the timber rattler much less than the copperhead. Sometimes they might even warm you by rattling. But not always. They are more predictable. You can usually count on only seeing them in the woods. Big thing to remember about them is that in the springtime; if you see one and avoid it, be watchfull for its mate.

One last thing: I know some folks who found a cottonmouth water moccassin in their boat in SOUTHERN OHIO. They aren't supposed to be up there. The cottonmouth lives in abundance not too far south of NOVA; and there is the intercoastal waterway not too far away. Once in a blue moon, one of them turns up out of its normal range.

Everything everybody has said about snakes on this post is good information (except the bark snake, which I never heard of and about which I assume somebody was either joking or using a different name for some harmless snake). But you cannot safely assume that a damned snake will always, or will never, do a certain thing. The only safe thing to do is WATCH WHAT YOU'RE DOING AND WHAT'S AROUND YOU.

When I was a boy, we used to go out and actually catch rattlesnakes for the hell of it. I never encountered a snake that didn't want to get the heck away from me unless I provoked it first.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Return to General Discussion