why is it necessary for a ffl to ship a gun to a shop.....

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

why is it necessary for a ffl to ship a gun to a shop.....

Postby davasmith » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 07:25:40

I contacted a man in montana about coloring a pistol for me, its the one my daughter wants pink with camo grips. He told me i'd have to send it to him through a ffl. Why? I'm not purchasing the firearm from him, I am just having some work done on it. He says it would take 150.00 to overnight the gun back and forth. Just curious as I have never done this before.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joshua

My Arsenal:
A sharp wit, and a big stick.... shhhh...

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Re: why is it necessary for a ffl to ship a gun to a shop.....

Postby dorminWS » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:23:55

As I understand it, you don't need an FFL to send a gun to a gunsmith for repair or upgrade.

I just sent a Colt Commander to Flagstaff, AZ for a 1* build. I sent it directly to them by regular FedEx 1-day service. It arrived the next day and it cost less than $20.

Draw your own conclusions about the guy in Montana.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby davasmith » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:49:16

Yeah that's what I was thinking. Damn have to start over now. Thanks

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 12:20:49

Chances are the guy in MT is a FFL.

With all this internet gun buying some FFL's have gotten burned by moving stolen guns when they accept firearms from unknown remote sellers. As such many of them now require FFL-to-FFL only. Does this really stop anything, probably not, but the dealers feel more comfortable with dealer-to-dealer.

jdonovan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby davasmith » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 14:21:27

The only thing bothering me is the inconvience of going to the ffl to swnd then back to pick it up not to mention the added cost.

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Postby VBshooter » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 03:39:23

I have always sent my guns UPS Insured to the factory for work so your situation sounds the same to me..Just declare it;s a firearm when they ask so that there are no surprises. Far as i know you can still do it that way,
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Spence

Next Firearm:
H&K Sig or an AK47/74

Postby allingeneral » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 08:40:28

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby snatale42 » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 20:09:13

You can send it to him directly, he's either trying to make money on the shipping, or he's an idiot.
Need help with your computer? I'm a PC Technician that will give my "friend rate" to any VGOF member. I can fix most problems remotely. I take Credit, Guns, Ammo and some accessories as payment! PM me for Details

snatale42
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Stephen

My Arsenal:
What Aresenal?

Postby ktownking » Fri, 23 Mar 2012 00:47:03

Or he's not an FFL. For someone to receive a gun out of state, they have to have an FFL. Either way, if you don't have an FFL, you will be required to overnight it to him. The fact that he wants to overnight it back, tells me he doesn't have an FFL. If he did, he can mail it priority back to you.

Sounds like your guy refinishes firearms, but isn't a dealer, or an FFL.

Check out Idaho Ordnance, The owner George does awesome work, and he will send it directly back to you.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
ktownking
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby SMG45 » Sat, 24 Mar 2012 20:18:35

Why not try out these guys.
http://www.amelonfirearms.com

SMG45
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby Diomed » Mon, 26 Mar 2012 04:46:40

Are you trying to ship a handgun? This is where the "you must be a FFL" business comes up most. This is because mailing a concealable firearm is illegal if you're not a FFL. Most of the common carriers, if they accept firearms for shipment, will only ship via overnight, making it a very expensive proposition.

It's usually useless to argue with folks like this. They think they know the rules, and get mulish if you try to correct them. Or they could know exactly what the rules are, and have their policy anyway due to a variety of reasons.

If you know a friendly FFL, it's going to be cheaper to have him mail the gun than to go through UPS or FedEx - $15 plus whatever you tip the dealer versus $50 and up.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Return to General Discussion