Champion Traps and Targets Monkey Bag Precision Shooting BagMonkey Bag Precision Shooting Bag
Champion Traps and Targets
    Champion Traps and Targets Shooting Glasses, Pink/RoseShooting Glasses, Pink/Rose
    Champion Traps and Targets 10/22 30Rd Metal Head Magazine10/22 30Rd Metal Head Magazine

Why so few S&W's in VA gun shops?

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Why so few S&W's in VA gun shops?

Postby Geezer » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 12:59:43

I am soon to be relocating to the Gainseville area and have visited quite often lately. I was surprised at the lack of new/used Smith and Wessons in the 3-4 gunshops I visited. There seemed to be lots of Taurus's though. I'm talking about the older all steel guns and reissues of their older revolvers.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts (ICORE) Member   Virginia Gun Collectors Association (VGCA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
Geezer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Location: Formerly The People's Republic of Massachusetts, now NOVA
First Name: Jack

My Arsenal:
More than my wife thinks I have

Next Firearm:
got enuff already

Re: Why so few S&W's in VA gun shops?

Postby jrswanson1 » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 13:28:56

Most people have the good sense to keep their old S&W revolvers, especially pre-lock versions. Newer S&Ws don't last long on the shelves here, either. I'm still ticked that I missed out on a used 625, should have snapped that one up for $450.

jrswanson1
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
3 AR-15s
CETME
Rem 700 CDL 7mm-08
Win 94 .45 Colt
Ruger Mini-14 .223
Kel Tec Sub2000 9mm
Rem 870 Express Super Mag
Rem 11-87P
Spanish SxS 12 Gauge
ParaOrdnance P16-40 .40 S&W
CZ-75B 9mm
Ruger Mark II
CVA Magnum black powder rifle
Remington 700 Sendero II in 300 WM
Keltec PF9
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt
RIA 1911 Bright Nickel .45 ACP
Enfield No. 1 Mark III*
Vz54/91
Vz52
Model of 1917 Enfield
Fazakerly No. 4 Mk I South African issued
Lithgow No. 1 Mk. III
Vz-24
Ishapore 2a
Enfield No.1 Mk III Republic of Ireland issued

Next Firearm:
Who am I kidding

Postby steelheart » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 14:41:21

come on up to winchester. old dominion has a few s&w and also the gander mountain has a few. gander has a stainless steel 9mm not sure how much it is off hand.

steelheart
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: keith

My Arsenal:
s&w tactical .40- .270 remington- 20 ga stephens shotgun

Next Firearm:
beretta 96a1

Postby Geezer » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:18:00

jrswanson1 wrote:Most people have the good sense to keep their old S&W revolvers, especially pre-lock versions. Newer S&Ws don't last long on the shelves here, either. I'm still ticked that I missed out on a used 625, should have snapped that one up for $450.

That makes sense. I've been holding on to dozens of pristine old S&W's for years. Now at 70 I'll be letting a few of them go when I relocate to VA later this year. Glad to know there's a market for them down there.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Confederation of Revolver Enthusiasts (ICORE) Member   Virginia Gun Collectors Association (VGCA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
Geezer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
got enuff already

Postby Geezer » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:21:17

steelheart wrote:come on up to winchester. old dominion has a few s&w and also the gander mountain has a few. gander has a stainless steel 9mm not sure how much it is off hand.

I'll be down in Gainesville the week of 3/18-25 Any info on gun shops in Winchester area would be much appreciated. Never been to a gander Mtn. store. Where is the one you mentioned located?

Geezer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
got enuff already

Postby John1 » Thu, 15 Mar 2012 18:56:40

Geezer wrote:
steelheart wrote:come on up to winchester. old dominion has a few s&w and also the gander mountain has a few. gander has a stainless steel 9mm not sure how much it is off hand.

I'll be down in Gainesville the week of 3/18-25 Any info on gun shops in Winchester area would be much appreciated. Never been to a gander Mtn. store. Where is the one you mentioned located?
Gander Mountain is on Commonwealth Court, in Winchester, take exit 310 off interstate 81. The Winchester area also has, Frederick County Firearms,
Stonewall Arms, and Old Dominion Sports Center to name a few more.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
John1
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: John

Postby bryanrheem » Fri, 16 Mar 2012 20:22:08

which caliber you interested in? The gun shows that roll around in Chantilly usually have a bunch in .357, and 44.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby steelheart » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 11:00:08

john1 thank ya for getting geezer the info. dang internet connection in the house is as good as a screen door on a submarine. i keep forgeting about frederick county firearms too. i think i need to stop drinking 5w-30 :hysterical:

steelheart
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: keith

My Arsenal:
s&w tactical .40- .270 remington- 20 ga stephens shotgun

Next Firearm:
beretta 96a1

Postby Geezer » Sat, 17 Mar 2012 13:41:53

bryanrheem wrote:which caliber you interested in? The gun shows that roll around in Chantilly usually have a bunch in .357, and 44.

Actually I'm not buying any more as I have lots of smith revolvers. I was just curious. That said, of course, if I were to see one I don't have I might not be able to restrain myself! :roll:

Geezer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
got enuff already

Return to General Discussion