Virginia Beach shooting and a question

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Re: Virginia Beach shooting and a question

Postby WRW » Fri, 07 Jun 2019 15:06:00

I'm just not quite sure that preemption includes executive orders. Otherwise, libraries would be posted "No Guns".

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby wittmeba » Fri, 07 Jun 2019 15:48:28

I still feel the laws are confusing and vague by design. One of two things happen -- either you take the risk thinking you understand the gun laws as written or you won't carry -- just how the libs want it. It is far too risky to take a chance with the possibility of being wrong. If you are wrong you risk the loss of ALL your gun rights -- nothing proportional to the crime again just how the libs want it.
A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.
Make America Great Again
M-A-G-A

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby WRW » Fri, 07 Jun 2019 16:09:04

Off the top of my head, meaning I should be checked behind, the executive order banning carrying in a State building would be enforced under trespass laws...misdemeanor. It's been a long time since I have looked into it...

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby domin8ss » Fri, 07 Jun 2019 22:23:22

I think you're correct.

Furthermore, a few days ago Tim Kaine said part of the blame for this mass shooting falls on people who could've done something, but didn't. Does he not understand that prohibiting lawful carry and then making that statement is akin to victim blaming?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

domin8ss
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby WRW » Fri, 07 Jun 2019 23:36:38

As one opposed to the right of self defense for victims he could look in a mirror to find fault.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 14 Jun 2019 19:08:29

Seems that Kate Nixon had a serious discussion with her husband, about carrying at work, the night before she was murdered. She decided against it, so as not to get into trouble.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/gun-free-zon ... orney-says

This is frustrating, to me. I wonder how many other victims were not carrying, for the same reason? I wonder how many others in the building would have been otherwise armed, and inclined to take on the shooter?

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby dusterdude » Sat, 15 Jun 2019 08:11:03

Someone,maybe mr.nixon,needs to sue the city over the gun free zone

Sent from my LG-US601 using Tapatalk

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
dusterdude
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
bersa 380,taurus pt145 and m1 garand

Postby AlanM » Sat, 15 Jun 2019 08:42:31

These gun-prohibitions didn’t keep us safe in Virginia Beach. Why would new laws work any better?
-The murderer passed a required background check. The background checks, which looks backwards, failed to predict future behavior. Background checks never find new criminals.

-Local preemption means that cities can write their own gun laws that are more restrictive than state law. Virginia Beach did that and it failed to stop this murderer. In fact, it enabled the attack.

-Virginia Beach declared its municipal building as a “gun-free” zone. The city did not post armed guards after they disarmed their employees. We know that murderers prefer “gun-free” zones for their attacks because these zones disarm the intended victims. We also know Virginia Beach city employees wanted to go armed at work for their own safety.

-Concealed carry licensing didn’t disarm the murderer. All the criminal histories and fingerprint requirements failed to identify this murderer or stop him, but these gun-prohibitions might have disarmed his victims.

-We already regulate noise suppressors on firearms, but that didn’t disarm the murderer. Both the victims and the responding officers heard the gunshots.

-There was an extraordinarily rapid police response, but electronic key-card access on the municipal building kept police outside while people died inside. Security doors keep out both the bad guys and the good guys.

-The elevated stairway/entrance prevented a terrorist from crashing a vehicle into the main hallway of the municipal building. The stairway also kept first responders from breaking down the doors.

-As expected, no more innocent victims were shot once the murderer faced armed opposition. A good guy with a gun stopped the bad guy with a gun. Does that surprise anyone?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Previous

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to General Discussion