VCU's VAC weapons reg is working, huh?

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

VCU's VAC weapons reg is working, huh?

Postby mk4 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:24:20

Nobody needs a gun at VCU, right? :roll:

http://www.wric.com/story/17274233/vcu- ... t-gunpoint

Virginia Commonwealth University has sent out a warning to students and staff after a student was sexually assaulted at gunpoint Tuesday night.
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Re: VCU's VAC weapons reg is working, huh?

Postby mamabearCali » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 13:34:30

Great.....You know perhaps I need to really look into online education for my children and any continuing education for my spouse or me. This is ridiculous.
"I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend."

mamabearCali
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Christie

My Arsenal:
Glock 36

Postby Alex » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 14:47:37

Daily occurrences like this are the reason I have adopted my "concealed is concealed." Policy.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"In God we trust, all others will be checked for warrants."

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Alex
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alex

My Arsenal:
Sorry, I sold all of mine.

Next Firearm:
A scary rifle with a high-capacity clip

Postby meak99 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:05:57

Alex wrote:Daily occurrences like this are the reason I have adopted my "concealed is concealed." Policy.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Another reason I asked the question in the VT thread.... suppose one decides to carry anyways, despite these regulations. The VT regulation states that the individual will be asked to remove the weapon from the premises or face arrest. Not sure about the VCU regulation. What would the arrest be for - trespassing? WOuld be for being in violation of the law granting the board(s) of directors the authority to make these regulations - which is the actual law cited in the regulation? And, would the arrest really only come after being given the chance to leave?

meak99
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Matt

Postby SilentServiceVet » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 17:52:10

mamabearCali wrote:Great.....You know perhaps I need to really look into online education for my children and any continuing education for my spouse or me. This is ridiculous.

Online is a great option. After leaving the military, I began using my GI Bill and enrolled in college. I now have less than 20 semester hours to go until I have my bachelor's degree. Best part is, I don't have to drive to a campus or deal with 20-something's who think their liberal views are the end-all-to-be-all. :clap:

Some ships are designed to sink ... others require our assistance.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Virginia Gun Owners Coalition (VGOC) Member  
SilentServiceVet
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nate

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer P226 MK 25
S&W M&P9c
S&W M&P Shield 9
S&W Bodyguard 38
S&W Bodyguard 380
Dan Wesson Valor V-Bob

Postby backpasture » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 19:23:04

I have always felt safe at Tech and still do now inspite of the tragedy. What bothers me is the rides/walks to campus. I guess since those there do not understand lonely country road threats, we need a just off campus secure locker business for student hunters, target shooters, and visitors who happen to carry in cars etc.

Another reason I asked the question in the VT thread.... suppose one decides to carry anyways, despite these regulations. The VT regulation states that the individual will be asked to remove the weapon from the premises or face arrest. Not sure about the VCU regulation. What would the arrest be for - trespassing? WOuld be for being in violation of the law granting the board(s) of directors the authority to make these regulations - which is the actual law cited in the regulation? And, would the arrest really only come after being given the chance to leave?[/quote]

backpasture
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby AlanM » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 20:37:40

Excuse my ignorance, but what does "VAC weapons reg." refer to?
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby mk4 » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 21:22:24

VAC = Virginia Administrative Code. As contrasted to the criminal and civil codes. State agencies such as public universities publish regulations in the VAC, which is where VCU's weapons regulation resides.

HTH.
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Postby Diomed » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 01:35:54

Listening to the evening news while fixing dinner, the newsreaders were dancing hard around the police saying they weren't convinced this was a legitimate report.

So, meh. The rule is stupid, that doesn't change based on one possible incident.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 08:38:06

Personally? I think all public schools should be held to the same regulations, policies, and laws that affect regular public buildings.

I went to VCU... Yeah. Crime free my __________ :roll:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby Tazguy04 » Thu, 29 Mar 2012 10:28:17

I lived just off campus with my old lady who want to VCU's school of Nursing and school of buisness, I open carried every day when I walked her back and forth from classes , I never had a single thing said to me. I did talk with serveral VCU PD officers and most of them complemented me on the ol 1911, I think this was due to the string of robberies and assaults that was happing at that time. YMMV

Tazguy04
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Kevin

Return to General Discussion