I'm starting to see more people open carry.

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Re: I'm starting to see more people open carry.

Postby M1A4ME » Sun, 02 Apr 2017 08:11:07

If you have the mindset to open carry, do so. It's legal.

I don't.

I also keep my cash out of sight in my wallet. I keep my rifle out of sight in the trunk instead of on the back seat. Or behind the seat in the truck, vs. hanging in the back window.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 02 Apr 2017 12:08:50

Roverhound wrote:Marc, I do the same thing.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

M1A4ME wrote:If you have the mindset to open carry, do so. It's legal.

I don't.

I also keep my cash out of sight in my wallet. I keep my rifle out of sight in the trunk instead of on the back seat. Or behind the seat in the truck, vs. hanging in the back window.

Agreed. It's not for everyone... nor is it for every occasion. I think the days of keeping the hunting rifle in the back window rack are pretty much over. Might be good while actually driving to/from the hunting grounds, but that's about it. Anything else and I would expect to have my window broken and my gun stolen.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 02 Apr 2017 17:47:42

I still see long guns in the back window, from time to time. It really depends on where you are. In rural areas, it's really less likely that someone will snatch a rifle from a random truck. Urban and suburban areas are a different story.

As far as open carry, most people that oppose the notion tend to state the same concern, I've noticed. Namely, the concern that they might be bonked on the head and have their weapon stolen and used against them. (The secondary concern being that they don't want to make the neighbors nervous.)

As has been previously stated, use your situational awareness. You should be paying attention to your surroundings, anyhow. And, there's nothing like strapping a highly obviously pistol to your belt to heighten your senses. The other thing, though, is that you should choose your destinations wisely. If you think that there is a high probability that someone behind you in line at that c-store is suddenly going to decide to knock you in the head, steal your gun, and rob the joint, maybe you should pick a different store, to begin with, whether you are carrying openly, concealed, or not at all. Avoid potential problems by first avoiding the problem areas.

There are risks in everything. Houses start burning while it's occupants are sleeping, carloads of people are injured by bad drivers, sinkholes open up in the ground and swallow everything on top of it. But, I'm still going to sleep in my house; I've done what I can to keep my house from randomly combusting, then installed smoke detectors. I'm still going to drive places; I drive safely and keep aware of my surroundings, and try to anticipate the boneheaded moves that could be pulled, and prepare for them. And, if the earth just decides to open up underneath me, well, until levitation devices are commonly available at Walmart, there's not much to be done about that.

As far as making the neighbors nervous, they'll get over it. Be a kind and decent neighbor, and don't give them cause for concern. Act and look like a normal, law abiding human being, and the neighbors and surrounding community will have less cause for concern, when you suddenly decide to walk around visibly armed.

Open carry is a good thing. We're talking about tools that have been used, for quite some time now, by responsible adults. We're not talking about shamelessly carrying adult novelty items around, in full view of children.

The public, at large, really needs to see more normal people, doing normal things, while armed. It will help to re-normalize what should still be normal, to begin with. Firearms, in general, get a lot of negative press. The occasions in which law abiding citizens use firearms to defends themselves, their property, or others, barely make it past the local news, if it goes that far. Armed criminals, it seems, get far broader coverage, especially if the act is truly depraved. Think school and Church shootings, for example. The guns, of course, are where the blame is placed, which implies that those that own them are evil or unstable. The only way to counteract that negativity is for the impressionable viewers of CNN, MSNBC, etc., to actually SEE that gun owners are normal. But, if they don't see that you are a gun owner, then they won't know that you are a gun owner.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby smltooner » Mon, 03 Apr 2017 21:34:40

SHMIV wrote:.....As has been previously stated, use your situational awareness. You should be paying attention to your surroundings, anyhow. And, there's nothing like strapping a highly obviously pistol to your belt to heighten your senses. The other thing, though, is that you should choose your destinations wisely. If you think that there is a high probability that someone behind you in line at that c-store is suddenly going to decide to knock you in the head, steal your gun, and rob the joint, maybe you should pick a different store, to begin with, whether you are carrying openly, concealed, or not at all. Avoid potential problems by first avoiding the problem areas......

AMEN SHMIV
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Postby Reverenddel » Tue, 04 Apr 2017 11:24:44

CORRECT! The best defense is an offense, and the best offense is to NOT be where there is trouble in the first place.

Active avoidance = No LEO/Court involvement in any aspect of your life.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby Swampman » Thu, 06 Apr 2017 16:07:27

smltooner wrote:
Swampman wrote:Yeah, it is very quiet out this way. Gun violence is usually limited to family squabbles. Only real problem we have out this way is drugs.

Hey, did anyone see that property in Franklin County, VA for sale? 227 acres going for $485,000. Do the math, that's about $2,200 an acre.

I live in Franklin County. If you have anymore info on the property, I'll see what I can find out about it.

Can't find it now. Saw it on Facebook a few weeks ago. Looked like it was about equi-distant from Lynchburg and Roanoke. It was listed as a hunting property with ATV trails and did have one house (looked like a fancy single-wide) on it. Just did a FB search, but no luck.
Progressives/Liberals - Promoting tyranny and a defenseless people since 1913.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Swampman
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jim

Postby Viper21 » Fri, 07 Apr 2017 09:19:26

I see somebody OC at least once a week. I'm in a pretty rural area. Never gave it much thought, & have yet to see anyone ever complain, or even make mention of it.

I prefer CC for myself but, have zero problem with somebody OC'n.

As previously mentioned, SA is probably the single most important thing one could add to their self defense plan. Much easier to prepare for a threat when you see it coming.....

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

Postby luxembourgoisie » Tue, 11 Apr 2017 23:52:25

As I'm living in Arlington, I personally wouldn't open carry under any circumstances, but I'd feel comfortable with open carry where I grew up in Michigan and where my parents live now in Tennessee. I'm planning on applying for a concealed carry permit as it seems like less hassle for going back and forth between home and the range.

luxembourgoisie
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Glock 22 Gen 2

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 12 Apr 2017 12:27:35

OC in Arlington is not a good idea. I don't blame you one bit.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Previous

Return to General Discussion