New Scope Mount Needed

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

New Scope Mount Needed

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 12 Jan 2018 19:37:12

I have been using American Defense QD mounts for 7 years now. I had one fail on me today while at the range.

I was getting in a little "Me Time" with my RPR and the group was all over the place. I tried to move things around and everything seemed fine, so I sent another partial mag down range, but it was off by inches at 100 yards.

I checked all the ring screws, which were fine, and the QD levers. The front was fine but the back was loose. I tightened it up and sent a few round down range, but it was all over the place. I found the rear lever was loose again, only this time, I couldn't tighten it because the threads were blown out.

American Defense sells replacement levers. It's a $200 mount and the lever is $22. I'm going to fix it, but I'm wondering if I should switch to a different mount type. The scope has been on and off a few different rifles... maybe close to 50 moves/remounts. I'm fairly sure I popped the threads by over-tightening the lever and exposure to a ton of recoil.

I'm wondering what you guys use for mounts, and if they have seen heavy use like mine has, how are they holding up? I like the QD mounts so if there is an optic failure, I can quickly and easily swap to backup sights. But if the QDs features introduce the failure point... that's a drag too.

Oh, I am looking to work my way out to 1,000 yards this year. I am going to get a new mount with MOA built-in. For a 6.5 Creedmoor, using a scope with 7.5 feet FOV at max zoom at 100 yards, and 110 MOA hight adjustment, is 20 MOA appropriate for my setup? Should I stay level? Go more aggressive, like 30 MOA?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Re: New Scope Mount Needed

Postby jdonovan » Sat, 13 Jan 2018 08:25:03

buy once cry once... Sphur. I've never felt that rich, but I've not herd complaints from anyone who has them.

I personally have had good luck with everything I've gotten from larue.

but nothing will win against a big guy with a wrench over tightening things. Perhaps a torque wrench should be in your future? But given your past with cars, and track things, I would have expected that was already in your tool box.

You should be able to run a ballistics solution at jbm ballistics, and see what the drop is at 1000, and that should help you select the right mount height.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 13 Jan 2018 10:03:44

jdonovan wrote:buy once cry once... Sphur. I've never felt that rich, but I've not herd complaints from anyone who has them.

Wow! Those are not cheap! LOL Looks like Quantico Tactical is a dealer and they are just up the street from me. I'll have to check them out in person. Something to think about.

jdonovan wrote:I personally have had good luck with everything I've gotten from larue.

I have some stuff from LaRue, but no scope mounts. I like their products and the price point is about where I have been looking. Depending on how my trip to QT goes, I may buy one and see how it works out.

jdonovan wrote:but nothing will win against a big guy with a wrench over tightening things. Perhaps a torque wrench should be in your future? But given your past with cars, and track things, I would have expected that was already in your tool box.

Oh, yes... you are correct on all counts. LOL That is part of the reason I am looking at possibly getting away from QD mounts.

I have almost zero input on the torque values because its a quick release lever system rather than a bolt-on. You can only clock the nut in 1/8th turn increments. If I get it to the point where I don't feel like the lever is stressing the threads, its too loose and moves on the pic rail. I turn it 1/8th turn (minimum allowed based on design) and you are applying some serious clamping pressure, but, it doesn't budge.

I have to be honest, I'm shocked it has lasted for 7 years. But if I get the "fixed" mount, I'll have a lot more control over what's happening.

jdonovan wrote:You should be able to run a ballistics solution at jbm ballistics, and see what the drop is at 1000, and that should help you select the right mount height.

Cool. I'll check them out. I appreciate all the info. Hopefully I'll get where I need to be so I can make it happen. I'm really excited about learning to shoot long range.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby jdonovan » Sat, 13 Jan 2018 18:47:46

now that I'm back home, and have some time...

ASSuming you're not hand loading, and shooting factory ammo.

I picked the hornady 140 ELD offering. 2710 at the muzzle, and a G7 of .305

JBM predicts -31 MOA @ 1000. I'd go with a 20 MOA base. You Could go with a 30, but you might run out of adjustment in your scope, and not be able to dial down enough to get a 100yd zero. With a 20 moa base, and 11 moa dialed into the scope, you would be zeroed for 1000.

Look at your scope specs, and if it has > 30 MOA of elevation, then you can probably run a 30 base.

Really I think its only a bigger issue if you trying to go substantially beyond 1000 yds.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 13 Jan 2018 20:26:14

Good choice in ammo. I'm using the Hornady 143 ELD-X. Shoots like a laser. I'm very happy with it. I don't do hand loads. I am way too busy. I work 60+ hours a week. Time is a limited commodity most days.

The calc gave me roughly the same results... I used the G1 ballistic coefficient for that projectile. It came out to 29.3 MOA (8.5 mils) at 1,000 yards.

I am using the Ruger Precision Rifle, bolt action. They claim that with a good cartridge, its a 1,600 yard weapon.

The scope is a Burris XTR II 3-15x50. Its got +/- 55 MOA from mechanical center. Based on that, I think your right about pushing it with a 30 MOA mount and 100 yard zero.

Normally I wouldn't care about the 100 yard zero and just use a holdover marking. Unfortunately, the guys at Peacemaker said I have to have the scope zeroed for 100 with no holdover, and then I have to know my dope based on range and weather. Actually. they want us using the center cross-hair for everything, no holdover at any distance.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to General Discussion