National Concealed Carry Reciprocity, H.R. 38

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Re: National Concealed Carry Reciprocity, H.R. 38

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 07 Dec 2017 11:41:32

Dear Mr. Spaziano,

Thank you for contacting me regarding the Constitutional Concealed Carry Reciprocity Act of 2017 (S.446). I appreciate the benefit of your views on this important issue.

As you know, on February 27, 2017, this legislation was introduced by Senator John Cornyn (R-TX) and referred to the Committee on the Judiciary, of which I am not a member. This legislation would require each state to recognize the concealed carry gun permits of all other states, allowing individuals with a concealed carry permit in any one state to bring that firearm across state lines.

Virginia has determined what it deems to be appropriate concealed carry permitting standards, but neither the Commonwealth nor any other state should be subject to national laws that would override those standards and result in a race to the bottom. With the tragic rate of gun violence today, I simply cannot support efforts to further weaken our nation’s gun laws. That includes renewed efforts this Congress to relax the standards for issuing concealed carry permits or to establish a national system that would further erode state-level concealed carry standards.

In recent years, I have heard from more and more victims of gun violence and their families in Virginia who are concerned about further weakening current laws. In the four years since the Senate’s last significant gun safety debate, the country has suffered over 100 mass shootings and tens of thousands of Americans are killed through gun violence each year.

I am a proud supporter of second amendment rights and will always advocate for responsible gun ownership for hunting, recreation and self-defense. But weakening our nation's concealed carry standards is not the answer. Knowing what I know today, if and when S. 446 comes before the Senate for a vote, I will oppose it in the interest of the safety of all Virginians.

Please know that I will continue advocating for responsible reforms that keep criminals and the dangerously mentally ill from owning guns, while also protecting the rights of responsible gun owners. I appreciate your contacting me and will keep your opinion in mind should the Senate address this issue or other relevant legislation.

Again, thank you for contacting me. For further information or to sign up for my newsletter please visit my website at http://www.warner.senate.gov.

Sincerely,
MARK R. WARNER
United States Senator

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby rifle » Thu, 07 Dec 2017 14:04:07

MarcSpaz wrote:but neither the Commonwealth nor any other state should be subject to national laws that would override those standards and result in a race to the bottom

I would have to ask Warner to explain how the gay marriage issue and the abortion issue are able to override states that passed laws against them. Of course we know how they are, they were ruled a constitutionally protected rights.

Well so is the right to bear arms
Trust? Years to earn, seconds to break. Be careful who you trust - remember, the devil was once an angel

rifle
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
might have one or two laying around here

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 07 Dec 2017 15:07:31

The whole situation has me upset to the point where I can't take it anymore. I don't want to run for office... but the jackass lawmakers are refusing to honor the will of the people! It's disgusting that they put Party First, Party Always. The more I try to resist throwing my hat in the ring... the more stuff like this happens.

He has basically taken the stance that the Constitution has zero value or authority and his constituents are too stupid to know what's best for themselves and the nation. What a jerk.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Viper21 » Thu, 07 Dec 2017 16:14:11

It's bothersome that people like Kaine, & Warner care so little about the safety of Virginians. How many live in the metro area alone that travel to Maryland, & D.C. on a regular basis..? It's upsetting that a law abiding resident of the Commonwealth cannot go into these areas without disarming himself. The right to self defense is the most basic right there is, & I would argue THE most important.... Self Preservation.

I get pretty wound up when I hear these pols say, "tens of thousands of Americans are killed through gun violence each year." We all know that is a talking point not based in 100% fact.

I just hope the Senate passes it. I'm sure the anti-gun lobby will really fire up the base this time. They know that now, there is a President that will sign it into law if it reaches his desk.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

Postby AlanM » Fri, 08 Dec 2017 09:19:52

Why are those two idiots against national reciprocity?
Virginia ALREADY honors every other state's licences/permits.
All they are opposing is Virginia residents protecting themselves when out of the state.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby cwfunrider » Fri, 08 Dec 2017 10:20:49

Viper21 wrote:It's bothersome that people like Kaine, & Warner care so little about the safety of Virginians. How many live in the metro area alone that travel to Maryland, & D.C. on a regular basis..? It's upsetting that a law abiding resident of the Commonwealth cannot go into these areas without disarming himself. The right to self defense is the most basic right there is, & I would argue THE most important.... Self Preservation.

I get pretty wound up when I hear these pols say, "tens of thousands of Americans are killed through gun violence each year." We all know that is a talking point not based in 100% fact.

I just hope the Senate passes it. I'm sure the anti-gun lobby will really fire up the base this time. They know that now, there is a President that will sign it into law if it reaches his desk.

I am very frequently in MD and DC for work. It frustrates the hell out of me when I have to go out of VA to those areas. Many times I leave straight from home, or leave those areas and go straight home so I don't even have the option of leaving it locked up somewhere and then retrieving it.

I am also frequently on federal property within the state of VA where I also have to leave it at home. Reciprocity will not help with that. While generally safe while at those specific locations, traveling back and forth and for the remainder of the day I am forced to go unarmed.

Somehow I got on an email list for Kaine and received an email from his camp just before the state elections. It was enraging to read what he was spouting and endorsing. Immediately "unsubscribed". VA really is lost to the liberals.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
cwfunrider
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
Who?
What?
I don't Understand?

Next Firearm:
That one.....

Postby Viper21 » Fri, 08 Dec 2017 13:21:03

AlanM wrote:Why are those two idiots against national reciprocity?
Virginia ALREADY honors every other state's licences/permits.
All they are opposing is Virginia residents protecting themselves when out of the state.

Because they are liberal party line Dems. They would switch us to a "may issue" state if they could.

Your points are valid imo. I was not aware that VA honors EVERY other states permits. With that being the case, it is that much more outrageous for our own senators to oppose this legislation. Again with that in mind, how could either of them possibly state they are looking out for the best interest of VA residents...?? That is just absurd. :bangin:

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Viper21 » Fri, 08 Dec 2017 18:44:23

Took a page out of Marc's book. I sent this to both of em ....

Mr Kaine/Warner,

It is my understanding that you are against HR 38 National Reciprocity. My question to you is, how can you in good faith claim to be concerned about the citizens of Virginia while opposed to this legislation..?? As you are aware, Virginia already accepts concealed permits/licenses from all 50 states, DC, & a couple US territories. The ONLY thing that changes for Virginia residents with the passage of this legislation, would be Virginia residents now able to protect themselves while traveling to others states that do NOT currently honor VA permits.

While there may be tangible arguments one way or the other on larger issues, I'm specifically concerned about this particular piece of legislation & how it directly affects VA residents. To vote or lobby against this bill directly affects VA residents in a negative way.

Could you explain to me why you are opposed to this legislation when this bill would simply afford Virginia residents the same security & right to self defense we (as Virginians) afford to residents of EVERY other state in the union..?

I got the exact same, canned, form letter response from Warner that Marc did. These clowns.... :bangin:

Viper21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 08 Dec 2017 18:57:21

Figures. They have two gun-related canned replies. The one you and I got and one for the anti-2a people siding with them.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby AlanM » Fri, 08 Dec 2017 19:25:32

FYI :http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Reciprocity.shtm

Code: Select all
As of July 1, 2016, pursuant to Virginia Code Section 18.2-308.014, the holder of a valid concealed handgun or concealed weapon permit or license issued by another state1 may carry a concealed handgun in Virginia provided all of the below conditions are met:

1. The holder of such permit or license is at least 21 years of age.
    2.The permit or license holder carries a valid photo-identification issued by a government agency of any state or by the U.S. Department of Defense or U.S. Department of State.
    3.The holder displays the permit or license and the government issued photo-identification upon demand by a law-enforcement officer.
    4.The permit or license holder has not previously had a Virginia concealed handgun permit revoked.

Although the law requires Virginia to grant recognition to all states that issue permits, those states may not authorize Virginia permit holders to possess a firearm in their state.
Prior to traveling citizens should contact a representative of the state they intend to travel through to determine if that state will recognize their Virginia resident or non-resident concealed carry permit, or visit that state’s website for guidance.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 08 Dec 2017 20:42:08

Someone should email that to Warner. I think they blocked me because i dont get auto reply messages anymore.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Previous

Return to General Discussion