Cold Steel Boar Spear with Secure-Ex SheathBoar Spear with Secure-Ex Sheath
Cold Steel
    Cold Steel Pocket BushmanPocket Bushman
Cold Steel
    Cold Steel Light Samburu SpearLight Samburu Spear
Cold Steel

Mountable Holsters for your car?

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Mountable Holsters for your car?

Postby Dingir » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 08:44:33

I recently purchased a mountable holster for my car (volkswagen) The holster is to the bottom left of the steering wheel, just in front of my left knee.

My question is, is it legal to have a holster mounted (with a gun in the holster) within an arms reach while driving about and to/from work?

I currently do NOT have a CHP, but i have applied for one already and am awaiting a response.

I do NOT carry a gun in this holster currently while driving.

Dingir
On Target
On Target

First Name: James

My Arsenal:
Bersa Firestorm .380

Next Firearm:
Mossberg 500, Kimber 1911 .45, Desert Eagle .50

Re: Mountable Holsters for your car?

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:14:16

Dingir wrote:My question is, is it legal to have a holster mounted (with a gun in the holster) within an arms reach while driving about and to/from work?

I currently do NOT have a CHP, but i have applied for one already and am awaiting a response.

You need a CHP to do this. Without a CHP, you need to have the handgun in a case or container to be legal.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 13:53:21

Its strange you can open carry in a vehicle, if the firearm is on your person. It is also permissible if the firearm in a case/compartment

However, that same firearm openly on the passengers seat is illegal.

jdonovan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 14:08:49

It occurs to me that if I were a cop doing a traffic stop and saw an empty holster on the steering column, I'd get REAL paranoid about where the damn gun was.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby TenchCoxe » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 15:55:30

Folks, it is legal in Virginia to carry a handgun openly without a permit. The question is whether it is "hidden from common observation." If so, you need a CHP. Otherwise, you can carry openly, whether in your car or elsewhere, without a CHP.

Based on several cases intepreting that statute, I would bet that a police officer would have a very good argument that carrying in a holster down low next to your leg as described above should be considered "hidden from common observation."

There is a provision that allows you to carry a handgun "hidden from common observation" in a vehicle or vessel, without a CHP, if the handgun is "secured in a container or compartment" within the vehicle or vessel. We've had lots of discussion here whether "secured" means "locked" (I believe there is a very strong argument that it does not), but at the very least, secured almost certainly means a *closed* container or compartment, whether locked or not. I would doubt that a holster would be considered to be "secured" in a "container or compartment," but we don't yet have much at all in the way of official interpretation of that statute.

As for the statement above that having the gun openly on the passenger seat is illegal, I would like to know where that comes from? Because I don't see where there is anything making that illegal. It certainly would not be "hidden from common observation" - anyone standing next to the car and glancing in easily could see the gun lying there. I don't know of a requirement for it to be "on" your person. If you're the only person in a car, and you have a gun on the front passenger seat, it clearly is under your dominion and control and thus in your possession, and likely would be considered to be "about your person."
"[The swords of the militia], and every terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American."

TenchCoxe
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Not as many as I would like.

Postby dorminWS » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:33:16

TenchCoxe wrote:Folks, it is legal in Virginia to carry a handgun openly without a permit. The question is whether it is "hidden from common observation." If so, you need a CHP. Otherwise, you can carry openly, whether in your car or elsewhere, without a CHP.

Based on several cases intepreting that statute, I would bet that a police officer would have a very good argument that carrying in a holster down low next to your leg as described above should be considered "hidden from common observation."

There is a provision that allows you to carry a handgun "hidden from common observation" in a vehicle or vessel, without a CHP, if the handgun is "secured in a container or compartment" within the vehicle or vessel. We've had lots of discussion here whether "secured" means "locked" (I believe there is a very strong argument that it does not), but at the very least, secured almost certainly means a *closed* container or compartment, whether locked or not. I would doubt that a holster would be considered to be "secured" in a "container or compartment," but we don't yet have much at all in the way of official interpretation of that statute.

As for the statement above that having the gun openly on the passenger seat is illegal, I would like to know where that comes from? Because I don't see where there is anything making that illegal. It certainly would not be "hidden from common observation" - anyone standing next to the car and glancing in easily could see the gun lying there. I don't know of a requirement for it to be "on" your person. If you're the only person in a car, and you have a gun on the front passenger seat, it clearly is under your dominion and control and thus in your possession, and likely would be considered to be "about your person."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I agree that a gun openly on the passenger seat shouldn't be considered to be concealed (assuming you didn't inadvertantly throw your hat, road map, coat or something else down and cover it up - even partially).

But it's a bad idea to have it out there anyway, in my opinion. Any cop who walked up and saw it there would be justifiably nervous about it.
"The Bill of Rights is what the people are entitled to against every government, and what no just government should refuse, or rest on inference."
-Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
dorminWS
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: G2

My Arsenal:
I don't think it's a good idea to put that online. WHO KNOWS who's checking? I love big-caliber and longe-range rifles and 1911 pistols, and I've got a few.

Next Firearm:
I can always use another 1911.

Postby Dingir » Mon, 19 Mar 2012 16:43:33

Hope fully soon ill get a call from the local courthouse. Its been just about 3 weeks since i turned n te application.

Dingir
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
Bersa Firestorm .380

Next Firearm:

Postby Diomed » Tue, 20 Mar 2012 00:53:14

What kind of holster was this?

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby Dingir » Tue, 20 Mar 2012 04:49:17

Diomed wrote:What kind of holster was this?

http://www.texascustomholsters.com/cust ... o-gallery/

Dingir
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
Bersa Firestorm .380

Next Firearm:

Postby Diomed » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 00:59:16

Gracias! Shame you have to drill to install.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby Dingir » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 06:10:39

Diomed wrote:Gracias! Shame you have to drill to install.

that part did suck, but you can mount them just about anywhere.
ive seen some people wrap an ankle or wais holster around their sun visor or seat.

Dingir
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
Bersa Firestorm .380

Next Firearm:

Postby Dingir » Tue, 27 Mar 2012 16:46:44

Just got my CHP too

Dingir
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
Bersa Firestorm .380

Next Firearm:

Postby kevinmfduane » Tue, 27 Mar 2012 17:07:31

This post makes me think of something I have always wanted to do in my old hot rod C10. I have always wanted to weld in a lockable shotgun holder/bracket like cop cruiser used to have, and maybe still do.

kevinmfduane
On Target
On Target

Postby Dingir » Wed, 28 Mar 2012 07:28:30

kevinmfduane wrote:This post makes me think of something I have always wanted to do in my old hot rod C10. I have always wanted to weld in a lockable shotgun holder/bracket like cop cruiser used to have, and maybe still do.

haha thatd be awesome

Dingir
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
Bersa Firestorm .380

Next Firearm:

Return to General Discussion