Looking To Practice On Private NOVA Land

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Looking To Practice On Private NOVA Land

Postby kelly1244 » Sat, 14 Oct 2017 19:52:27

Good evening all -

Apologies, as this is my first post here. I've been lurking for a while (helped me figure out which guns to purchase!) and I've got a question for everyone.

I just recently acquired a Ruger AR-556. I'm looking to test fire/practice with this Rifle (as well as plink a few rounds off my 9mm) before I take it to a range. I'm a Fairfax resident, and I admit that some of the ranges out this way are a bit intimidating... I'd like to try to familiarize myself with the new rifle in a more quiet/intimate setting - would also like to make sure my sights are good before I hit an indoor range. Ideally, I'd like to bring my father along - I would like to teach him how to fire, as well.

With this in mind, I was wondering if anyone could guide me with respect to VA laws. I know you can't fire on property that isn't privately owned, and that it has to be within a certain distance of residential areas to be considered legal. Can anyone recommend a preferred "quiet spot" - or better yet, would anyone be willing to offer a spot up on their own land? Would be willing to drive about an hour - hour and half or so to any radius around me. Also willing to compensate you fairly for your time/space.

Thanks in advance!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
kelly1244
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Taurus PT111 Millennium, Ruger 9E 9mm, and a Ruger AR-556

Re: Looking To Practice On Private NOVA Land

Postby kelly1244 » Sat, 14 Oct 2017 20:13:42

I'm 31, by the way... Dad is 62. I can provide any necessary/preferred documents to prove that I own the weapons, as well.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
kelly1244
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Taurus PT111 Millennium, Ruger 9E 9mm, and a Ruger AR-556

Postby jdonovan » Sun, 15 Oct 2017 09:12:31

would you be interested in a class with a few other students? An instructor friend and I have thought about putting together a ar-15 101 type class. We see many people in your situation, they are interested in owning a rifle, but have limited experience and are not quite sure how to best get started.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 15 Oct 2017 13:31:53

kelly1244, welcome to the forum! I wish I new someplace close... truth is, all of the outdoor ranges I am aware of that either offer privacy due to low attendance or on private land, are somewhat far away. Anything local would be pretty busy.

If jdonovan puts together that 101 type class, I would highly recommend it. I know JD personally... he is very talented and patient.

jdonovan wrote:would you be interested in a class with a few other students? An instructor friend and I have thought about putting together a ar-15 101 type class. We see many people in your situation, they are interested in owning a rifle, but have limited experience and are not quite sure how to best get started.

JD... I would consider going through this class if you get something going. I have a friend or two that are somewhat new to AR's that may be interested too. Let me know if you move forward on this. It would be good to have a refresher on the fundamentals.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby kelu » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 10:05:26

I'm also interested if you make this class happen. And I think my daughter too :)
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby jdonovan » Thu, 26 Oct 2017 17:08:31

3 people is probably enough to kick of the planning. Let me talk to my instructor buddy about what we need to do to pull things together.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

ads

Return to General Discussion