Kia motor recall

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Kia motor recall

Postby wittmeba » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 10:44:27

Our son has been struggling with finances for a bit -- because he just spends too much and he is a little too generous.

His ex-gf and he split up. He told her she could take the Kia car he bought mainly for her while they were together.

Well after about a year she hit a divider in the middle of a street cutting a left turn too short. Then she hit a deer -- not necessarily her fault. She contacted our son and told him he needed to get the vehicle fixed. He said no and contacted the insurance company to be sure they didn't authorize any repair without his concent. They understood and flagged his policy.

The car quit running and she got it towed to a repair shop and the guy indicated the motor was seized, would cost about $3000.00 for a repair. While it was sitting at his shop the battery was removed -- no known reason for this.

She notified him and told him where the vehicle was. She went out and bought another vehicle -- doubt it is much as she has no credit and her family is all in the same boat.

He had the vehicle towed to his house and planned on letting it sit til he could get the funds for a repair.

Anyway...while I was surfing I stumbled upon a post that Kia had a recall. Turns out they have a problem with steel shavings in the oil orfices and may cause the engine to seize. He called Kia and they will be announcing the recall and in addition extended the warranty from 100,000 to 120,000 -- his has 107,000. Kia picked up the vehicle took it to their shop in Salem. They are waiting for a new motor for installation. He should be reimbursed for the towing of about $250.00 total.

Oh how happy we are.
If all the laws worked, there would never be any crime.

I often take a very long windy road to my destination. When I arrive I often wonder how I missed the shortcut.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Re: Kia motor recall

Postby kelu » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 14:11:07

Good things happen to good people.
Well... at least sometimes.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Hammer » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 16:46:42

Are you going to tie a bow around if and give it back to x-gf? Sorry; couldn't help myself.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Hammer
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bud

My Arsenal:
Savage Model 11, .308
DPMS Oracle AR-15
S&W 1911 "E"
Ruger SR9c
Beretta M9, 25th Anniversary Edition
Browning BDA 380 (hers)
Ruger LCP (hers)

Next Firearm:
guess i need a shotgun

Postby wittmeba » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 18:35:46

Hammer -- I'll surface that suggestion but wouldn't hold my breath.

I often take a very long windy road to my destination. When I arrive I often wonder how I missed the shortcut.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:

Postby dusterdude » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 18:44:09

What years does this cover

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
dusterdude
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
bersa 380,taurus pt145 and m1 garand

Postby Snakester » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 19:35:37

Xgf...Xwife...Xanything......Just another reason everyone needs to have a deep hole dug somewhere ! :friends:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 26 Apr 2017 22:55:45

I have been generous enough to give vehicles to exes. However, I have never paid their insurance, or put tags on it for them.

When the car is running again, sell it. Or, if it's in better condition than his daily driver, keep the Kia and sell the other. Use the money to pay off some debt.

I understand the financial struggling; I spent far to long rowing that particular boat, myself. (One way I managed to jump to a better boat was by changing my associates, btw. I started hanging out with successful people, and avoiding folks that were content in their poverty. It works.)

At any rate, that's wonderful about the recall. Little bonuses in life, like that, are truly a blessing. I hope that your boy is able to get the most out of that blessing.

"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby wittmeba » Thu, 27 Apr 2017 12:37:55

Here is where it started. Half way down the page they advise which vehicles may be affected. Sons is a 2011.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/hyundai-kia- ... 00478.html

When he called the customer service informed him the 100,000 miles has been extended to 120,000. Once verifying the 107,000 miles Kia took the vehicle -- now he just waits til they get the engine installed.

They had to install a battery to check for problems -- that was the $140.00. He will likely pay this but the towing costs should be reimbursed.

wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:

Postby wittmeba » Tue, 16 May 2017 11:01:35

KIA still cannot come up with a replacement motor. Might end up having to rebuild the one in (or was) the vehicle. I wonder how many they will actually feel they need to replace after the announcement later this month.

wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:

Postby Mindflayer » Wed, 17 May 2017 23:30:45

Suggest sending the motor to the ex.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Return to General Discussion