How To Respond To An Active Shooter

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Postby mmckee1952 » Wed, 16 Aug 2017 18:38:05

By: James England
Whether you work in an office or out in the field, take classes at the local college or shop in the grocery store – you’re probably well aware of the risk of an active shooting. The rate of these events isn’t altogether high but the psychological damage they inflict on the psyche of Americans is absolutely staggering. In this article, we’ll attempt to go over what some professional organizations have advocated on how to respond to an active shooting event.
Step 1: Deal With The Immediate Threat
In an active shooting environment, if you are under fire, you are directly being threatened. Your safest bet is to immediately take cover. Cover can come in the form of anything you perceive has a decent ability to deflect your enemy’s attacks. This can come in the form of a dumpster, parked vehicle – anything that is nearby and suitable. Cover doesn’t need to be ideal, it just needs to work until you have the chance to move to safer ground.
Step 2: Dealing With An Imminent Threat
If you are not taking fire, the threat has not come to you, yet. You have time to work out what you’re going to do. And it should start with the following three recommendations from the Advanced Law Enforcement Rapid Response Training playbook.
•Avoid
•Deny
•Fight
Avoid the fight at all costs. This can include sheltering in place and barricading the doors and windows (Deny) and, if need be, improvising a weapon and fighting (Fight).
Step 3: Moving From Cover To Cover Or Sheltering In Place
If your position is not secure – i.e. in a barricaded room or similarly semi-secure location – you need to wager the odds of whether it’s worth moving. Because you cannot necessarily know how many assailants are involved in an active shooting environment or the location of law enforcement responding to the event, you will have to decide whether your current position is safe to stay until the situation is resolved.
If the answer is ‘no’, then identify a more secure location of cover. You should only move from a position of cover if you are reasonably sure that where you’re at is less safe than where you are moving to. Otherwise, you’re just giving your assailant an opportunity to identify your hiding position and press his attack upon it.
Step 4: Identifying Yourself For Law Enforcement
When law enforcement arrives, they’ll likely be in a heightened state due to the danger they’re putting their own lives in to recover and save lives. It’s imperative that when you hear law enforcement moving, you identify yourself and immediately make sure your hands are completely visible. Law enforcement are trained to watch the hands because, as they’re often trained, “hands can hurt you”. Make sure your hands are visible, you make no sudden movements, and comply with all requests.
Do not emerge from cover until the shooting or violence has stopped. You’re not helping law enforcement if you wander out into the middle of a firefight – you’re just exposing yourself and potentially hurting their chances of stopping the assailants.
Read More: https://selfdefenserx.com/how-respond-a ... %20Shooter
My Thoughts: Hope no one is ever put in this position, but if you are, maybe this info might give you a higher percentage to survive the situation in one piece.
“Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”
― Benjamin Franklin

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
mmckee1952
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Michael

My Arsenal:
1911, Bersa Thunder 380, Mitchell 12 gauge,

Next Firearm:
S&W MP 15 sport

Re: How To Respond To An Active Shooter

Postby FiremanBob » Thu, 17 Aug 2017 08:06:59

Good tactic for self-preservation. But my view is that if one has a clear opportunity to stop the threat to fellow citizens by taking out the murderer, one should take it. Waiting for the police is likely to result in additional unnecessary victims.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby kelu » Thu, 17 Aug 2017 09:31:01

If history is any lesson (at Sandy Hook police waited 5 min at the door, in Orlando couple hours, etc), you're on your own.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 17 Aug 2017 11:43:10

"How to Respond to an Active Shooter"....

Two to the chest, one to the head.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby Rualert » Thu, 17 Aug 2017 14:14:31

Reverenddel wrote:"How to Respond to an Active Shooter"....

This ^^^^^^

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Rualert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Casey

Postby skeeterss0 » Fri, 18 Aug 2017 07:52:28

yes, more people should attack the shooters, there would be less shootings and lower body counts. Many time's once a shooter is confronted by opposition they will either run or take themselves out.
USMC 1981-2001 Semper Fi

US Constitution
Amendment X

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
skeeterss0
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
working on it

Next Firearm:
not sure, revolver or 20 gauge shotty

Postby Jon » Fri, 18 Aug 2017 18:02:49

There's no one right answer to this. It just depends.

In most cases I'm either looking for an exit with gun drawn or hunkering down behind cover with gun drawn. I'm not going to go looking for a fight.

If I happen to be in the immediate area of the shooter, lets say 25yds or less, they're likely to find out what bullets flying back at them feels like. The closer inside that range I am to them the more deliberate my shooting would be.

Of course that's ^ all assuming I'm by myself. If the wife or family are with me retreating safely is paramount unless I'm in very close range of the shooter, to the point where I had no choice upon trying to exit the situation.

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Jon
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jonathan

Postby Swampman » Tue, 05 Sep 2017 12:26:12

Yup, what Jon said. By myself is a very different situation than if I have family or friends along.
Progressives/Liberals - Promoting tyranny and a defenseless people since 1913.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Swampman
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jim

Postby M1A4ME » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 16:13:02

Beat me to it, again.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby WRW » Wed, 06 Sep 2017 17:00:32

M1A4ME wrote:

Beat me to it, again.

I have never quite understood that drill. If the head shot is available, why play with your target?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby M1A4ME » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 07:04:10

The chest is much easier to hit.

It may not incapacitate them (being a fatal shot is not the same thing as stopping the threat). They may bleed out, eventually, but they can still harm you or others till they bleed out. Once they have been slowed down by the torso shots they have the choice of lying there no continuing the attempt to kill/harm others or they may keep trying to carry out their original aims/intents and you have to take the time to put a complete stop to their illegal and life threatening actions.

There has always been some fear that the person(s) committing such acts might have on bullet resistant or bullet proof clothing/vests and while a couple rounds to the chest might stun them or cause them to stop their actions temporarily it probably won't incapacitate them till the threat is eliminated.

It was used as a training aid/shooting drill for many years.

I'm old enough I remember when they started the double tap training/shooting drills. That was two fast/quick shots to the chest/torso. As more studies were done in the 70's and 80's they found that too often when the police would shoot someone that person would continue to fight/threaten/kill police officers. So they started teaching the idea/practice of shooting them twice. These days, with the smaller/lighter bullet calibers used by so many departments you often hear of the police shooting the bad guy(s) 5 to 15 times, or more.

If you've got to shoot a threat that many times to stop it then you've got the wrong gun/bullet or the wrong training. Think about it. How many deer would you get if you had to hit one that many times to put it down? Or squirrels, or rabbits? I know, game animals aren't armed, but still, if you had to use that many bullets to harvest that game animal, you'd starve. So why do we promote carrying self defense guns/bullets that can require that?

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby WRW » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 09:38:30

I found it interesting that the occurrence that led to the Mozambique Drill was actually terminated with a neck shot, though the intent was the head. And yes, if something doesn't work then do try something else.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 07 Sep 2017 11:31:13

Baylor drills help with shooting skills.

I might go 2/1, but "rinse/repeat" ain't outta the question.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby drewannrez » Fri, 24 Aug 2018 02:12:06

First, if you are able to safely get away from the shooter, do so. Once away from the scene, prevent others from going toward the shooter and call 911.

Second, if you can’t safely run away, hide. Barricade doors and turn lights off. Take cover behind large objects and try to be as silent as possible.

Third, and finally, if you cannot safely run or hide, be prepared to fight. Improvise weapons and commit to defending yourself.

drewannrez
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby Utah » Fri, 24 Aug 2018 14:44:22

This is incorrect...

It's two to the chest, the rest to the face...

Dalai Lama
"My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing will begin in five minutes."
(Ronald Reagan 11 August 1984)

Utah
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 24 Aug 2018 15:49:23

:hysterical:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to General Discussion