Flight 93

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Flight 93

Postby WRW » Thu, 12 Sep 2019 22:42:25

Quick question. Why do we, as a Country, honor victims of terrorism that don't survive and give higher honors to victims of terrorism that fight back but don't survive yet we pretty much ignore victims of terrorism that fight back, save lives, and do survive? If given my druthers, I'd prefer heroes live to tell the tale.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Re: Flight 93

Postby SHMIV » Fri, 13 Sep 2019 05:01:32

Hmm. I do not know. Truthfully, I'd never given it much thought.

I will note, though, that my Father-In-Law was a Vietnam veteran. He was proud that he served, but he never wanted to talk about it. He'd get real vague if you started asking, and would change the subject if you kept on. I do know that it was a hard time for him, and I think that he suffered some Agent Orange related issues, for the rest of his life.

My Grandfather served in WWII. He recieved a few medals. He was a lifelong student of history, so he WOULD talk about his war experiences... But, he hated to do it. It was a very terrifying, very miserable time for him. He'd have preffered to forget about it.

And, perhaps that has something to do with it. Maybe the living heroes just don't care to dwell on it, because it was such a terrifying and miserable experience. I also have noticed that most Heroes don't consider themselves as such; just an ordinary human, placed in an extraordinary circumstance, doing the right thing. I don't know; that's all I got, off the top of my tired head :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Re: Flight 93

Postby Swampman » Fri, 13 Sep 2019 08:03:38

So many who survive suffer significant after-effects of wars. I have a friend who was in Vietnam. He was captured and spent time as a POW. He escaped and was found by an American patrol naked, tired, and hungry. After he got home he wouldn't associate with people. He actually lived in a cave for a few years before he assimilated back into society. He still won't eat rice, fish, or any Asian food. He has been happily married for many years. If you bring up Vietnam he shuts down completely.
Progressives/Liberals - Promoting tyranny and a defenseless people since 1913.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Swampman
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jim

Return to General Discussion