Frankford Arsenal Corn Cob Media 7 lbs. In a BoxCorn Cob Media 7 lbs. In a Box
Frankford Arsenal
    Frankford Arsenal Quick-n-EZ Standard Media SeparatorQuick-n-EZ Standard Media Separator
Frankford Arsenal
    Frankford Arsenal DS-750 Digital Reloading ScaleDS-750 Digital Reloading Scale
Frankford Arsenal

A-ha: "delay" status for VA State police background check

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

A-ha: "delay" status for VA State police background check

Postby Batty67 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:28:51

Hello. Went to Dick's in Manssas to get a Ruger 10-22, and to look at loads of models that Dominion Arms had in stock, including one with the highly praised Hogue overmolded stock (which was sweet)! Anyhow, confirmed that I need the BASIC 10-22 as I'm going to get a hogue stock, swivel mounts for a sling, and tactical rail for eventually mounting some kind of relatively cheap scope or red dot. TBD. So I went back to Dicks.

Per usual, whenever I apply for a firearm, the "instant background" check ALWAYS comes back delayed. On a weekday, maybe 30 minutes to 1 hour. Weekends are another thing. So I do the paperwork, grab some lunch, and one hour later...still delayed. Grrr. Okay, wanted to see the movie Moneyball (good flick) and saw it locally. 4 hours later, still delayed. I'm fricking spittin' angry. 40 minute drive to Manassas, killed 5 hours shopping and waiting, and still delayed and no rifle. I actually end up finding and talking to the supervisor doing with background checks, who is very polite and frazzled. She explains they are woefully understaffed and that there is pretty much always a gunshow going on somewhere in Virginia and on a weekend, if you get "delayed" it is highly likely they won't get to doing the more time-intensive check until end of the day (8-10 pm) OR first-thing the following morning before the gunshow applications start pouring back in. She explained that before cut-backs to staff, they'd assign 1-2 people to do the "delayed" checks so they might get through them within a few hours.

Also, the reason I'm flagged is my name is common and others in the state have my same first and last name and birthdate but were born on different years. Thus, whenever I apply the instant check does not know exactly which person is applying so they need to pull my SSN and address to first see who it is and THEN do the instant check. Such checks take a few minutes. Problem is: when they're slammed, which is every weekend, those delays get flagged for off-hour processing, and they plow through those applications that can be processed quickly (she said each of the non-delayed applications takes 30 seconds or so).

What all this means is that if I apply for a firearms application on the weekend it had better be FIRST thing and if I'm lucky, it might get processed in an hour or so. If I'm applying after Noon, I'm almost certainly going to have to wait until the following morning for approval. And this is not likely to change anytime soon. So I'm going to apply mid-week if humanly possible!

The supervisor indicated how they are usually the "stove-pipe" and many, many dealers lose business in this economy because frustrated potential buyers are not willing or able to come back to a gunshow to pick up their purchase. And that basically, the processs sincerely annoys flagged persons. At $2 a background check, and in this weak economy, losing firearm sales due to quite understandable frustration with delays (and the instant check is effectively taking 24 hours much of the time for person that get flagged for delays), I just don't see how allowing this semi-broke system to keep on stumbling along is acceptable.

Again, the supervisor was very polite and explained the process to me, and I wanted to share what I learned.

Batty67
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Mark

My Arsenal:
CZ 2075 RAMI BD (9mm)
M1 "tacticool" carbine (.30 carbine)
Ruger 10/22

Re: A-ha: "delay" status for VA State police background check

Postby meak99 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:34:42

I'm to the point where when I buy a new one, I plan on just coming back the next day to take possession. It's rapidly turning into an unlawful "waiting period".

meak99
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Matt

Postby thekinetic » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:38:02

Yeah but don't let their politeness fool you as they can be real snakes. I would have looked at them and said I wait here until it is complete, and would sat there in the way all day and would have insisted it get done before I'd move.

That kind of puts them off especially if you would start being annoying like humming some song like waltzing matilda....and nothing else. Believe me you would have shot to the front of the list!
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
thekinetic
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jon

My Arsenal:
Error 404 Guns Not Found

Postby cyras21 » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:42:46

There's a background check for rifles? I thought checks were for handguns only.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
cyras21
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Clement

My Arsenal:
Springfield Target Loaded 1911
2 XD 9 Sub (everyday carry)
Jericho 941 (Baby Eagle) 9mm
Taurus .38 Special
Winchester 870 Tactical
Remington 700 270
Remington 700 300 Ultra
AR15

Next Firearm:
Saiga 12

Postby davasmith » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 10:43:30

Beat the system then, become an FFL yourself. No waiting period, no bull**it!

davasmith
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Joshua

My Arsenal:
A sharp wit, and a big stick.... shhhh...

Next Firearm:
Class 3 Form 4 ???

Postby frankD » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 14:29:58

The longest I have had to wait was around 30 minutes.

frankD
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Frank

My Arsenal:
Guns? I thought this was a weight watchers forum.

Next Firearm:
A Klondike bar....

Postby thekinetic » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 14:31:59

davasmith wrote:Beat the system then, become an FFL yourself. No waiting period, no bull**it!

What's an FFL?
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
thekinetic
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jon

My Arsenal:
Error 404 Guns Not Found

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 19:29:12

Federal Firearms License... Or as I like to call it, "BATFE'S INVITATION TO COME UNINVITED INTO YOUR HOME!"

No, As stated, some of us with the VCDL have VOLUNTEERED TO ASSIST THE VIRGINIA STATE POLICE with background checks ALONE, specifically those of us bonded, with CHP's, TS-1 Clearances, etc, etc.

And they REFUSE... each time...

Someone press them why they REFUSE VOLUNTEERS WHO ARE MORE THAN WILLING to assist them in the task!

I cannot get a straight answer from ANYONE!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby Diomed » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 02:40:43

thekinetic wrote:Yeah but don't let their politeness fool you as they can be real snakes. I would have looked at them and said I wait here until it is complete, and would sat there in the way all day and would have insisted it get done before I'd move.

Coming to Richmond and getting into the VSP call center to bother the reps into approving you faster? Somehow, I expect that would end with handcuffs and a night in the lockup.

cyras21 wrote:There's a background check for rifles? I thought checks were for handguns only.

There is for all firearms transfers involving a dealer. There are some specific exceptions, but most everything requires a check.

Hollywood lies.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby Batty67 » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 07:40:26

On the one hand, I appreciate the customer service as it were, giving me a polite explanation cooled me down. They are working hard with insufficient staff. Oh, I picked up the 10/22 yesterday, and have already ordered a new (Hogue over-molded) stock, some magazines (rotary and 1 Ruger 25-round), sling, and sling clips for the stock. Might get a trigger/bolt locking mechanism replacement group. The list of "goodies" for the 10/22 is remarkable. Have not even shot it yet!

Back to the instant-check, at at $2 per check, if they get a 1000+ on a weekend day, it should EASILY pay for additonal staffing, and G-d forbid, updating the software so people like me that get delayed and that purchase a gun more than once in a blue moon can get the delay time decreased substantially. I suspect the money is going elsewhere in the State Police.

Batty67
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
CZ 2075 RAMI BD (9mm)
Ruger 10/22

Postby Xaviar13 » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:25:35

Hey Batty....congrats on the new 10/22. I agree with your post. I've got a very common name as well and am always amazed at how long it takes to get approved. You'd think that using a CHP as the 2nd form of ID would expedite the process but it seems like nothing works.

Xaviar13
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: X

Postby mk4 » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:34:20

chp as 2nd id does nothing except waive the va "1 handgun per 30 day" prohibition.

if you want to expidite nics/fbi processing because you've got a common name, birthday, etc... there's a process to get a unique identifier number from the fbi(?) to confirm identity. i don't have the link at hand. i believe it requires submission of fingerprints.
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Postby mk4 » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 17:59:34

mk4 wrote:chp as 2nd id does nothing except waive the va "1 handgun per 30 day" prohibition.

if you want to expidite nics/fbi processing because you've got a common name, birthday, etc... there's a process to get a unique identifier number from the fbi(?) to confirm identity. i don't have the link at hand. i believe it requires submission of fingerprints.

found this: http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/nics/a ... re_eng.pdf
it's the app for the fbi nics voluntary appeal file (VAF) and generation of a unique personal identifier number (UPIN), which supposedly separates one from any 'similar' hits, causing delays in the approval process. only you can decide if the hassle of the delay is worth going through the UPIN process.
“For life, liberty and Little Lizzie.” - John Connor (2005)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
mk4
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: mk4

My Arsenal:
...was the victim of a tragic boating accident.

Postby meadmkr » Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:50:30

The UPIN only slows down the process in VA. The software (website) they have doesn't even have a spot for it so it has to be called in. Don't bother with one until they have enough staff to make it worth the effort.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Postby Batty67 » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:24:47

mk4 wrote:chp as 2nd id does nothing except waive the va "1 handgun per 30 day" prohibition.

Ding! I too noted that I have a CHP (given in the last 6 months) and the VA State Police supervisor apparently hears that all the time. Makes ZERO difference in processing delayed approvals. And as far as they're concerned, it only makes a difference for the handgun purchase restriction. She had a seemingly prepared canned speech about how LOCAL LE does those CHP background checks, or at least much of the checks, and the State Police occassionally have to revoke them when they catch an error and a person should not have been given one.

Bottom line: if you get flagged, you will continue to get flagged, so either submit the paperwork on a weekday, or expect an overnight delay to get approval. Sucks, but does not look like it will change anytime soon...

Batty67
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
CZ 2075 RAMI BD (9mm)
Ruger 10/22

Postby Tweaker » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:10:11

F da Po lease?
Officially outed waissists: Taggure, Allingeneral, Tweaker, VBShooter, Snaz, Jim, OakRidgeStars, Wylde, clayinva, Komrade Kreutz, scrubber3, Mindflaya'. All the kewl kids are waississ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsW75KJXO4&feature=related

Tweaker
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
Guns are icky, I'm here for the jerky recipies!

Next Firearm:
Ooooh, no. They scare my widdo heart!

Postby Gargoyle » Tue, 27 Sep 2011 17:13:14

I don't have a common name and it sometimes takes until the next day for my approval to come thru. I also wasn't born in VA if that makes any difference.

Gargoyle
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Phil

My Arsenal:
A couple Winchesters and an Ed Brown

Postby manisbad » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 21:31:59

Batty67 wrote:Back to the instant-check, at at $2 per check, if they get a 1000+ on a weekend day, it should EASILY pay for additonal staffing, and G-d forbid, updating the software so people like me that get delayed and that purchase a gun more than once in a blue moon can get the delay time decreased substantially. I suspect the money is going elsewhere in the State Police.

Really, you think the 2 dollar fee is more tha enough to cover the staff that does the background checks. Do you remember 2 years ago there was bill to have the fee raised to 5 dollars but was struck down, well that would have helped bring on more staffing and the delays would not be as long. The Firearms Center runs off the money it makes, they are not paid out the general fund like all other state agencies.

reverenddel wrote:No, As stated, some of us with the VCDL have VOLUNTEERED TO ASSIST THE VIRGINIA STATE POLICE with background checks ALONE, specifically those of us bonded, with CHP's, TS-1 Clearances, etc, etc.

And they REFUSE... each time...

Someone press them why they REFUSE VOLUNTEERS WHO ARE MORE THAN WILLING to assist them in the task!

I cannot get a straight answer from ANYONE!

I guess you know how to read a criminal history from all 50 states as well as know all the things that would prohibit someone from buying a firearm. Not only things the State of Virginia would deny on but what the Feds would deny on as well. On top of being allowed access to criminal histories etc.. that all employees there have to have an extensive background check to be allowed to do.

Why not get with your rep. in the general assembly and have the fee raised from 2 dollars to 5 and then you wouldnt have the long delays.

manisbad
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby Tweaker » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 22:33:07

Better idea!

Tell them to shut that BS down!

It is totally unnecessary and duplicative of the federal background check.

Welcome to VGOF! Also, you're idea stinks. ;)
Officially outed waissists: Taggure, Allingeneral, Tweaker, VBShooter, Snaz, Jim, OakRidgeStars, Wylde, clayinva, Komrade Kreutz, scrubber3, Mindflaya'. All the kewl kids are waississ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTsW75KJXO4&feature=related

Tweaker
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
Guns are icky, I'm here for the jerky recipies!

Next Firearm:
Ooooh, no. They scare my widdo heart!

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 28 Sep 2011 23:40:00

"I guess you know how to read a criminal history from all 50 states as well as know all the things that would prohibit someone from buying a firearm."

As a matter of a fact Newbie... I WOULD! :whistle:

A criminal history report reads the same from all 50 states, showing arrest/judgment/conviction-release... It's not complicated, and I read them for my job.

As a matter of LAW, the things that prohibit someone from buying a firearm are listed in the 18.1 codes, and read fairly simple.

Answering your smarmy "On top of being allowed access to criminal histories etc.. that all employees there have to have an extensive background check to be allowed to do" :hysterical:

Um.. it's called PUBLIC RECORDS :roll: , and you don't need an "Extensive Background Check" to be allowed to do that... Viola! http://www.courts.state.va.us/main.htm

There's your "extensive background check". It's called the "internet", and what you are advocating is a TAX because BUREAUCRATS don't like the fact that CITIZENS are LICENSED, BONDED, AND WELL TRAINED!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Next

Return to General Discussion