Daughter invited me to the range

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Postby newdovo » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 00:45:32

I'm going to a father/daughter luncheon tomorrow. My wife leads a Christian mentoring group for middle school aged girls, and they planned the event as a way for fathers to have some quality time and dote on their daughters. I'm looking forward to it. I like the idea of having some individual time with one of my kids.
It's encouraged that, afterward, father & daughter will continue their date with another activity. Movie, ice cream, etc. The speaker will have some topics, intended to be discussed after the event.
My gal asked to go to the range. :thumbsup: She has gone to shoot with me a dozen times or so, whether on family property or at a public indoor or outdoor range. But this is the first time that she has asked me to take her. I love this kid.
I do think that there's a bit of her wanting to please Dad. But I did offer up movies, etc. and she was insistent... so I can't argue with that... :roll: Actually, ice cream afterward sounded good, too. :)

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
newdovo
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: newdovo

Re: Daughter invited me to the range

Postby Palladin » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:47:10

:clap: Go! :clap:
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 10:08:30

My daughter is just about ready for the range.... Remember when yours was this big?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
In a near AWB world, I say:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby Kreutz » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 21:48:54

Have three daughters myself, cannot wait to get them (and my son) to a range.

Gotta say though my oldest daughter is freaked out by loud noises (she's almost 5), do they grow out of that? I figure 10 is probably a good age for a .22

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Kreutz
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lolwhut

My Arsenal:
12ga.
9mm
7.62x38R
8x56r

Next Firearm:
can't sell another kidney (never said I was gonna sell mine)

Postby SHMIV » Sun, 19 Feb 2012 23:42:00

I was 3 or 4 when I first fired a .22. I was about 7 when I first fired my 12 gauge, which also happened to be about a 1/4 second before my very first flight.

My sisters also fired .22 rifles long before they were 10. I think, Kreutz, that if you demonstrate that not all loud noises are something to be frightened of, she may grow out of it sooner. I used to be scared of airplanes when I was little. At the time, my Grandfather was the head honcho at the Richmond airport, so my Mother arranged a visit to the airport to break me of that fear. Part of the trip involved following the jets down the runway as they were taking off. Planes were demonstrated to be nothing to fear, and I was never afraid of them again. (TSA, on the other hand...) Side note; in breaking me of that fear, one of my coolest, and fondest, memories ever was formed.
"God Almighty created simplicity. Complexity, inspired by the Great Deceiver, tends to be the province of men. " S. H. M., IV

I'm an American-American

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby biggun » Mon, 20 Feb 2012 17:34:22

Kreutz wrote:Have three daughters myself, cannot wait to get them (and my son) to a range.

Gotta say though my oldest daughter is freaked out by loud noises (she's almost 5), do they grow out of that? I figure 10 is probably a good age for a .22

A ready age is determined by mom and or dad. Back when I coached with 4H, the avg. age was 12. I recall that only a few were not ready to be responsible, this was under constant adult supervision.
Most important is spending quality time with your kids. A safe and positive intro in the beginning will lead to many more fun enjoyable hours with the ones you love the most.
Be safe

biggun
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby Wingandaprayer » Tue, 21 Feb 2012 13:56:44

I took my daughter to the range for the first time last year (she was 9). We had a great time and have been back a couple of times since. But before we ever stepped foot on the range we had a lesson on gun safety. Later on I was extremely proud of her when we were watching the TV show "Last Man Standing" and Tim Allen, the main character, was improperly handling a pistol and my daughter said "He's got his finger on the trigger!" Maybe they really do listen. :clap:

Wingandaprayer
On Target
On Target

First Name: Paul

ads

Return to General Discussion