Copyright Infringement - Discussion and Warning

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Copyright Infringement - Discussion and Warning

Postby allingeneral » Fri, 08 Oct 2010 21:57:01

Please use this post to ask questions and provide answers to help our users understand the ins and outs of copyright law as well as to understand the catalyst for this action in our forum...

These requirements have come about due to a recent round of lawsuits that have been levied against over 100 websites and individuals over the past few months. The suits were (and continue to be) filed by a company called "RightHaven". This company has teamed up with the Las Vegas Review Journal (LVRJ), the largest newspaper in Nevada, and they are purchasing the copyrights to the LVRJ stories, then filing suit against websites that have copied the copyrighted materials into their websites.

Copyright Announcement/Warning wrote:New DO's and DON'Ts for posting articles from other websites are as follows:

DO
- DO Post a few sentences from the article, not generally to exceed the first two paragraphs
- DO Post a link to the entire article source
- DO Post a summary in your own words and your commentary to get discussion started

Do NOT
- Do NOT Post the entire article, even if you post the author and a link to give proper credit.
- Do NOT Assume that just because it's on the internet that it's "Free"

YOU are responsible for ensuring that you do not break copyright laws when posting here or to any online forum. The management here at VGOF will make every effort to ensure that posts remain within appropriate guidelines, but we cannot read every post, and we will not be held responsible for the postings of our members. That responsibility is yours, and any lawsuits that may arise will also be the responsibility of the offending poster.

Please use the "Report this post" button to report any posts that you believe should be adjusted by the administrator/moderators.

Please continue to post article information and links to articles for discussion here ate VGOF - just do so with proper discretion and consideration for copyright laws.

The floor is yours...
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Re: Copyright Infringement - Discussion and Warning

Postby gunderwood » Fri, 08 Oct 2010 22:24:32

If I make fun of it does that count as satire? :whistle:
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby allingeneral » Fri, 08 Oct 2010 23:13:59

gunderwood wrote:If I make fun of it does that count as satire? :whistle:

Depends on how much of the article is quoted. Also - please be sure not to affect the marketability of the original work.

and perhaps the most important thing - how funny is your satire?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby KaosDad » Sat, 09 Oct 2010 09:17:48

OK, I get it now. We have a bunch of chuckle-heads trying to become the RIAA of the print world. Let's ignore tha fact that the way we have been quoting articles on forums (at least this forum);

1) Gives full credit to the author.
2) Gives full credit to the web article where it originated.
3) May actually drive business TO the original website.

A number of the retorts to RightHaven are spot on - they are using law suits as a buisness model. Welcome to the Westboro Baptist Church.
Proud Navy Dad

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
KaosDad
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rich

My Arsenal:
Tee Hee.

Next Firearm:
Whatever pisses off Moms Demand and Bloomburg

Postby ShortMan » Sat, 09 Oct 2010 09:21:24

I just saw a news article saying a judge banned personal backups of DVD's.

http://www.dailytech.com/US+Court+Rules ... e15969.htm
OK, that article is old. But I saw it because of a new article saying that if you manage to copy a blu-ray, its illegal. Even for personal backup.
The courts are upholding this.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
ShortMan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Short

Postby Jim » Sat, 09 Oct 2010 12:29:49

I kinda' figured that copying and pasting a story on the web was like photo copying an article in the paper and putting up on the bulletin board at work. I never had any idea we could be sued for that.
Jeesh, they write the article, publish it on the web, then say we can't forward it in it's entirety to someone else.
Fine. I'll just post the link and be done with it.
Next thing ya' know, it'll be illegal for me to give the paper to my wife when I'm done with it 'cause she didn't buy her own copy.
Lord, please protect us today from having to use deadly force.

Jim
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

Postby Chasbo00 » Sat, 09 Oct 2010 14:48:52

According to the first link below, VCDL is being sued over copyright infringement. We need to do our part and keep VGOF and Rick safe from this 21st century, ambulance chasing BS.

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/se ... onal-webs/

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/fi ... ght-trolls
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby mrjam2jab » Sat, 09 Oct 2010 18:37:11

Here is how Stephens Media...the owner of the LVRJ...says you can share the info...

Sharing the info

Stephens Media welcomes hypertext links to its electronically-published textual content. The appropriate method for linking to Stephens Media content is to post only the headline and the first paragraph of a story and then a link to the original textual material.
Scott B --- States don’t have rights. People do.

Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
mrjam2jab
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Scott

My Arsenal:
S&W 3913 9MM
S&W Model 10-5 .38spcl
H&R Model 900 .22
Rayven .25
Marlin 336CS 30-30
Interarms JW-15 .22
"Kmart" 12ga double barrel S/S

Postby VBshooter » Sat, 09 Oct 2010 19:54:28

Even more confusing is the articles with the DO NOT Yada Yada stuff and a link right next to it to Facebook and all kinds of social messaging,.What do ya do then??
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Spence

Next Firearm:
H&K Sig or an AK47/74

Postby allingeneral » Sat, 09 Oct 2010 20:01:22

mrjam2jab wrote:Here is how Stephens Media...the owner of the LVRJ...says you can share the info...

Sharing the info

Stephens Media welcomes hypertext links to its electronically-published textual content. The appropriate method for linking to Stephens Media content is to post only the headline and the first paragraph of a story and then a link to the original textual material.

Another interesting paragraph from Stephens Media's website:

Stephens Media also respects the intellectual property rights of others and will immediately takedown, upon written notice, any copyrighted material of a third-party.

It sure would be nice if they followed their own suggestion here. But, instead of sending "written notice" to anyone they find with their copyrighted materials posted - they just file suit against them - immediately - with no previous "cease and desist" or other notification asking that the material be removed.

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby zephyp » Mon, 11 Oct 2010 12:53:37

Folks, we could avoid alot of trouble and gain tremendous benefit if we simply make up our own news...who knows, we might even help craft and forge the future of country...make them quote us...

VGOF Newswire -- In a stunning display of humble pie, President Barack Obama is urging democrats and progressives to show their support for Republicans..."This is no time to shirk our duty as Americans. Each and every one of us must buck up and cast our support and vote for the Conservative Party." Rumor has it from an unconfirmed White House source that Obama will soon replace Biden with Sarah Palin and immediately resign thereafter.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 11 Oct 2010 13:35:50

:hysterical:

I'm sure that VGOF Newswire is just as accurate as the mainstream media too.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 11 Oct 2010 15:57:38

Made-up news is how we ended up with the likes of John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

No thanks on repeating that :roll:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby zephyp » Mon, 11 Oct 2010 16:48:08

OakRidgeStars wrote:Made-up news is how we ended up with the likes of John Stewart and Stephen Colbert.

No thanks on repeating that :roll:

Indeed but this is another fine lesson from "Rules for Radicals..." - use their own strategies against them...
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to General Discussion