Cheapest 22 Ever?

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Cheapest 22 Ever?

Postby Jon » Sat, 21 Apr 2018 19:21:34

While waiting for my AR12 I've been a little antsy having not purchased anything this year yet. While at Walmart today I spotted the elusive (at least around here) Savage 62. I said to myself why not, could be a fun plinker to tinker with. Keeping with the dirt cheap theme I grabbed a $25 3-9x32 scope off the shelf and away I went.

Got home, unboxed, mounted "glass" and proceeded to shoot. Overall impression is it seems to be a functional fairly accurate rifle. But my GOSH it's the worst trigger hands down on any gun I've ever shot period. It's extremely difficult to shoot it to it's potential because of that. It basically feels like a dead trigger until you hit this wall of china, which takes hulk like strength to break through.

But it will shoot if you "do your part". I'll be researching modifying the trigger and would take any advice with open arms.

It's no tack driver but it's not bad overall. Could definitely be a squirrel snatcher at 50yds and in. For a price tag of $99 I'm not disappointed. Like I said it's functional and should be fun to play around with. I put 100rds of Federal value box through it with no problems.

I was unable to keep a full 10rds in the black at 50yds, with that trigger there were always a few fliers. Below are a few pictures and the best/last 10 shots of the afternoon.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Jon
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jonathan

Re: Cheapest 22 Ever?

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 13:36:05

If you can get to the trigger? Spray the crap outta it with air, then oil, and keep shooting it. Sometimes you gotta "wear them in".

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby AlanM » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 16:43:01

According to the manual, which is for models 62, 64, and 954,
https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/manuals/manual_autoloader.pdf
there's no difference between the trigger mechanisms of the 62 and 64.

The spring kit is about $20.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby Reverenddel » Mon, 23 Apr 2018 20:39:09

DOOOO EEEETT!!!!

I'm a huge fan of trigger replacement when you discover it's not what you want!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Newgunguy » Fri, 27 Apr 2018 00:17:28

My first rifle that I purchased up in mASS was my Savage 64 fxp and I love it. I did have to work in the trigger a bit but maybe you have a bad one. When I would clean mine I would completely strip it out of the stock and get the gunk out and the trigger is smooth now. What kind of ammo were you using, I started out using some thunderbolt and federal premium but this was years ago when you could get a box of 500 for under twenty dollars.

Charles.

[url="http://www.signaturebar.com/"]Image[/url]

Newgunguy
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Ruger SR9c
Savage FXP .22LR
2 Mosin Nagants

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 27 Apr 2018 00:43:58

Good looking rifle for the money. Sounds like you need to strip the trigger out, clean it and do a spring job and you'll have a good shooter on your hands.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Snakester » Fri, 27 Apr 2018 16:59:43

:machinegun: We'll work on it Saturday.....Run a couple hundred rds. through it and it should shoot great ! :ak47:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby Jon » Fri, 27 Apr 2018 23:30:34

Yeah I stumbled across that Mcarbo kit shortly after I posted this. It's on the way. I had good success with their kit for my Axis.

Randy I'm going to let all of you shoot it with the stock set up and see what you think. Personally I don't think any amount of breaking in is gonna help.

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Jon
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jonathan

Postby Snakester » Tue, 01 May 2018 19:44:17

:tommygun: After shooting "The Cheapest 22 Ever" I have to say I could not find anything to report negative about it ! We did tweek the scope a little and used a little lock tight to keep it all in place. The trigger was kinda heavy but , got some better as the day went on. Still could stand some improvement and I am SURE it will be addressed SOON ! We were consistently hitting golf balls and 12 ga. shells at 25 yds. and ringing the steel at 100 yds. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 01 May 2018 21:32:44

Good deal!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to General Discussion