Crosman TAC R71, AEG 500rd -Clear/BlackTAC R71, AEG 500rd -Clear/Black
Crosman
    Crosman Model 1077 12 Shot Semi CO2 .177Model 1077 12 Shot Semi CO2 .177
Crosman
    Cuddeback Cuddeback AttackCuddeback Attack
Cuddeback

Buying a .40 cal Pistol - Almost

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Buying a .40 cal Pistol - Almost

Postby allingeneral » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 11:33:13

So, I was in Gander Mountain in Fredericksburg last night looking to buy. I had narrowed down my search of the case to two .40 cal semi-auto pistols. One was the Taurus PT140 PRO, and the other was a nice little S&W SIGMA.

So, I'm handling them and doing my personal checkout of both pieces. I think the SIGMA was $399 and the Taurus was $429. I liked the feel of the SIGMA, plus it had a rail, which I'll probably never use, but I like the thought of having it there :)

I was talking to the person behind the counter about layaway since I wanted to pay 50% down and come back to pick it up in a couple of weeks. FYI - GM layaway policy on new and used firearms is 30% down and 90 days to complete the sale.

So, anyway - I was still looking things over and was just about to get my wallet out and this group of 3 guys walks up. One of the guys tells me that I should "Go ahead and spend the extra money and get the Glock". I had just conversed with the lady (less than 5 minutes ago) behind the counter that I didn't care for the Glock and she said "Yeah, people either love them or hate them".

So, the guy goes on to tell me about how the Glock 22 and 23 can use the same magazines even though they are different sizes (compact/full-size or something). He told me about how he was in law enforcement and that he used one for primary and the other for backup.

So while he's talking, the lady pulls both Glocks out of the case. I looked them over for a second and reconfirmed that I didn't want one. By that point, I just wanted to get away from this guy since I'm perfectly capable of selecting my own firearm. I told her to go ahead and put it all away and that I would stop back by and talk to her in a bit. I ended up coming back and looking at a couple of used .40 cals, but I never asked her to take the SIGMA back out for me. She can thank that Glock knucklehead for costing her a sale.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Re: Buying a .40 cal Pistol - Almost

Postby VBshooter » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 11:51:46

That line of love em or hate em is true.. I do on occasion carry my Glock 23,,There are times when the lighter frame and size are an asset. My usual carry gun is my Sig 228,, Metal Frame ..little bit heavier and a sweetheart to shoot,, Tupperware is definitly an aquired taste,
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Spence

Next Firearm:
H&K Sig or an AK47/74

Postby Moccasin » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 11:56:52

So when are you going to go get a .40? And while I'm asking that have you ever looked at galleryofguns.com (Davidson's)? If you know what you want you may be able to get it cheaper from Davidson's. I just pulled up a PT140 there for $394 new if you are willing to drive to Orange.

Moccasin

Postby wylde007 » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 12:02:19

I love my 19. It was between that, the Sig (229, I think) and Taurus 24/7. 19 just felt "right". And it is ALL ABOUT COMFORT. Comfort in the hand, comfort while shooting, comfort drawing and comfort carrying.

No one else's influence or input can tell you whether any of those criteria are going to be met for YOU. It is simply arrogant for anyone, especially someone in law enforcement who really should know better, to assume that their preferences and experiences translate directly into someone else's life.

I bought a 1911 in 9MM. I love it. I carried it for few weeks. It's heavy. It doesn't like the humidity - AT ALL! I have cleaned that gun more in a month than the Glock in two years. It is beautiful and a delight to shoot but, much like a beautiful woman, it is high-maintenance.

I think it's akin to working out in the gym (something I've neglected of myself) and there seems to always be some muscle-bound knuckledragging idiot who presumes to be your personal trainer. You know the guy? The guy who says you'll build mass faster or work this-or-that muscle group better if you just do the exercise "this" way? He doesn't know you, he doesn't know why you're there or what regimen you may already be on or into. All he is is arrogant.
Last edited by wylde007 on Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:59:10, edited 1 time in total.
The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid.
Novus Ordo Seclorum

wylde007
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Travis

My Arsenal:
All lost in a boating accident

Postby flashman » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 14:32:48

You might thank that guy if he spared you buying a Sigma. I'm not familiar with the Taurus, but they don't have the best rep for dependability. Might look at a M&P or an XD or XDm if the Glock doesn't feel right.
Faithful and True

flashman
Sighting In
Sighting In

Postby allingeneral » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:09:33

Funny thing - being that this board is all about the locals... I wonder if the guy that I saw at GM last night is on here? :doh:

So, the Sigma has a bad reputation, eh? I guess I'll go read up on it a bit.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby WRW » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 15:22:14

I have put somewhere around 100 rounds through my son-in-law's Sigma, and watched him fire maybe three hundred rounds. Nice enough weapon. One thing I've been wondering about, is if the counterperson would supply a snap cap to allow the customer to try out the trigger pull. I'm not a fan of double action only, but my experience with the Sigma is that it does have a smooth enough pull to be accurate.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:15:42

flashman wrote:You might thank that guy if he spared you buying a Sigma. I'm not familiar with the Taurus, but they don't have the best rep for dependability. Might look at a M&P or an XD or XDm if the Glock doesn't feel right.

I'm not a fan of the Sigma either. +1 on the M&P Compact in .40 S&W

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby ProShooter » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 16:41:06

You'll never fall in love with a Glock by just looking at it. Its an ugly gun. Go to the range and rent one. Shoot it, and see how she runs. Then see how easy it is to take down and clean...

You'll be buying that Glock 23 before you know it! :)

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby BlueTiki » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:05:50

As long as we are on the topic, does anyone here have a M&P .40 compact like the one Jay pictured above?
I ask this because I bought my full size back when they had a promotion going for two free Magazines from S&W. Well, I just got my two Magazines and they where the compact. They don't even come close to fitting in my full size pistol. I've sent an email to S&W to see if there is anything I can do to exchange them but I have a feeling I'll not here from them. I'd consider selling them to some one that could use them for a reduced price. Maybe the two for the same price as a single full size.

BlueTiki
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Smith and Wesson M&P .40 cal

Postby meadmkr » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:15:52

allingeneral wrote:I had just conversed with the lady (less than 5 minutes ago) behind the counter that I didn't care for the Glock and she said "Yeah, people either love them or hate them".

Handguns are a personal choice and should be a good match for the owner/operator!!!

I'm in the "like 'em" camp and neither love nor hate them. I really like my Glock22 but would never push someone to buy a Glock unless it both fits their needs and their ergonomics. I haven't found anything I like better or is in my price range. With that said I won't usally let myself get baited into a brand-A vs brand-B religious battle but if they push too hard I won't let somebody bash MY choices based on my needs :bangin:

Good for you not letting another shooter push you into a decision!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
meadmkr
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
If the Mrs is reading this I only have 4 [wink, wink]

Next Firearm:
Supressor (brand tbd)

Postby zephyp » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 17:30:26

allingeneral wrote:Funny thing - being that this board is all about the locals... I wonder if the guy that I saw at GM last night is on here? :doh:

So, the Sigma has a bad reputation, eh? I guess I'll go read up on it a bit.

I've sometimes wondered the same thing. The internet makes the world a small place. When will you run into somebody in person that you flamed in an online forum and would you recognize each other.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby moss20 » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 20:01:55

I love my sigma 9mm. Have over 100 rounds through it with no problems. The place I got mine has the .40 in stock for around $367.00 w/extra clip I think. I can stop and check on it if you want me to because I drive buy the place twice a day.
Improvise, Overcome, Adapt

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
T Jefferson

4-H Certified Shotgun, Rifle, Pistol, Archery & Muzzleloading Instructor
NRA/ATA Shotgun Coach

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
moss20
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Doug

My Arsenal:
One for every occasion ....... like shoes

Next Firearm:
Whatever I can find that interest me

Postby Vahunter » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 21:02:56

I had a Stigma before I bought my XD. I liked the way it concealed but accuracy just plain sucked. I guess it was due to the fact that it took three men and a boy to squeeze the trigger. I'm not a big glock fan but it sure is alot better than the sigma, which btw I saw on sale a while back for $229.00. It was the model that is being issued to the Iraqi police.

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby mongo » Mon, 03 Aug 2009 22:10:29

Go to a range that rents guns and try some out. I read a lot of good things about the Springfield Armory XDm 40. A local range had the XD 40 so I tried that. I liked it and decided on the XDM since everybody said it was an upgrade over the XD. Im pretty happy with my decision. It does cost a little more though.

mongo
On Target
On Target

First Name: xxxx

Postby wylde007 » Tue, 04 Aug 2009 14:36:57

moss20 wrote:I love my sigma 9mm. Have over 100 rounds through it with no problems.
Let us know when you can tack a couple of zeroes onto the end of that number. :clap:

100 rds? C'mon man. You don't even need to clean a gun after 100 rds!
The quiet war has begun, with silent weapons
And the newest slavery is to keep the people poor, and stupid.
Novus Ordo Seclorum

wylde007
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Travis

My Arsenal:
All lost in a boating accident

Postby WRW » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 12:54:17

meadmkr wrote:
allingeneral wrote:I had just conversed with the lady (less than 5 minutes ago) behind the counter that I didn't care for the Glock and she said "Yeah, people either love them or hate them".

Handguns are a personal choice and should be a good match for the owner/operator!!!

I'm in the "like 'em" camp and neither love nor hate them. I really like my Glock22 but would never push someone to buy a Glock unless it both fits their needs and their ergonomics. I haven't found anything I like better or is in my price range. With that said I won't usally let myself get baited into a brand-A vs brand-B religious battle but if they push too hard I won't let somebody bash MY choices based on my needs :bangin:

Good for you not letting another shooter push you into a decision!

That there is one good post. I tried my son-in-law's Sigma again last night and found it to be quite accurate. I still don't like it, but can't speak bad about it.

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby JacobDW » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:34:12

run from the sigma! RUUUUUNNN!!! the rail is non existent, its solely proprietary so no other rail accessories will fit it unless you get an adaptor.. lame... and the trigger is down right POOP. AND you cant disassemble the slide or replace the sights w/o shipping to SW. for a beater truck/boat gun its great, for primary PD no way not for me...

I Sold mine and bought a G23 and havent looked back since.

JacobDW
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 09 Aug 2009 14:36:49

I will agree that I didn't care for the way the trigger is made on the Sigma.

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby SgtBill » Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:24:14

Rick it was not me in GM when you were there. LOL I don't go there as it is about 1 and 1/2 hr. drive for me to get there. The few time's that I have been there I found that the people that worked there seem to think that they know more about weapon's then anyone that is on the other side of the counter.

That said I have a Glock 22 that had a 5 lb. trigger bar in it and it sucked. I changed the trigger bar to a 3.5 lb. one and made the gun more or less a single action weapon with the 2 pound reduction. It is now my favoret to plink with with the light trigger and the Crimson Trace laser light.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Next

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to General Discussion