Best Shot Group I Ever Shot

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Best Shot Group I Ever Shot

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 15 Dec 2018 23:43:25

I am super happy! I ditched the bi-pod and mono-pod today. Using front and rear bags, I shot the best group of my life. Five rounds at 100 yards, 0.625 MOA. Bone stock RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor and a Burris XTR II 3-15x50.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Re: Best Shot Group I Ever Shot

Postby Reverenddel » Sun, 16 Dec 2018 17:54:34

:first:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby MarcSpaz » Sun, 16 Dec 2018 18:36:15

:thumbsup: Thanks, Rev!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Snakester » Mon, 17 Dec 2018 18:05:22

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That's pretty fine shooting , Marc....Most people do not know how tiny those holes are. I've got a new batch of golf balls ready and waiting. Just been so busy but , that's about to end. I'm up for some shooting even if it's cold and wet. :pistol:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:05:43

Snakester wrote: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: That's pretty fine shooting , Marc....Most people do not know how tiny those holes are. I've got a new batch of golf balls ready and waiting. Just been so busy but , that's about to end. I'm up for some shooting even if it's cold and wet. :pistol:

Thanks! I appreciate the kudos!

As far as the size goes... you ain't kidding. Each white square is 1 inch and each hole is 1/4 inch. All of those hole are in a smaller area then the size of the tip of an average man's thumb.

I'm in the same boat. My customers have been complaining that stuff hasn't been progressing fast enough. Since they didn't appreciate the 70 hours a week I have been working, I dialed it down to 40 hours, which is all they are paying for. My life got a lots easier the past couple of weeks.
Last edited by MarcSpaz on Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:14:23, edited 1 time in total.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Snakester » Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:14:18

We finally got moved to Dinwiddie....House sold and closed in Hopewell and Carol retired. I've got a nice project lined up for January and February ...All inside work , then I think I am calling it quits....Ready to take it easy for a while.....We'll see !

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 17 Dec 2018 19:15:11

Snakester wrote:We finally got moved to Dinwiddie....House sold and closed in Hopewell and Carol retired. I've got a nice project lined up for January and February ...All inside work , then I think I am calling it quits....Ready to take it easy for a while.....We'll see !

That's awesome! I am so happy for you guys!

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby kelu » Tue, 18 Dec 2018 21:24:07

Ready to use Marc rifle (with his permission, until I get one of my own) to hit some balls :)
I'm eyeing to a 338, but I'm waiting to see if I get approval to join Peacemaker, otherwise it's useless at 100 yards.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 19 Dec 2018 00:07:12

kelu wrote:Ready to use Marc rifle (with his permission, until I get one of my own) to hit some balls :)
I'm eyeing to a 338, but I'm waiting to see if I get approval to join Peacemaker, otherwise it's useless at 100 yards.

Of course!

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby jdonovan » Thu, 20 Dec 2018 20:59:28

kelu wrote:I'm eyeing to a 338, but I'm waiting to see if I get approval to join Peacemaker, otherwise it's useless at 100 yards.

have a spare rem 700 338 that I'll part with. PM me if you are interested.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby kelu » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 13:00:35

JD, I know that is a REM 700P, which I'm not a big fan. I'm looking to a Ruger precision, they have good prices these days.
Now, I'd like to request for an advice: 7 mm mag or 338?
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 10 Jan 2019 18:01:30

Between those two, I would go with the 338 LM.

At 1,000 yards, compared to 338 LM, 7mm WSM drops an additional 20 inches and the 7mm RM drops an additional 40 inches.

Wind drift is just as bad. Compared to 338 LM, in a 10mph FV wind, 7mm WSM drifts an additional 30 inches and the 7mm RM drift an additional 20 inches.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby jdonovan » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 09:57:18

if you haven't had the option to be behind a 338, you should try before you buy. The 338 Lapua is approaching the objectionable recoil level for many people.

If it kicks so hard you flinch when you shoot it, then you will never shoot well.

I really like the current crop of 26/6.5mm bore cartridges. 260 rem/6.5 creed if you need a short action. 26 nosler, 6.5 prc if you care less about barrel life, and want a speedier round. And even the big 6.5's will recoil 1/2 to 1/3 as much as the 338 Lapua.

Also lets be honest about what we are doing. Hole in paper, or ringing a plate so the need for significant downrange energy isn't really there for a civilian target shooter.

the 338 vs the 6.5 prc is less than 0.5 mil of drop 0.7 mill drift @ 1000

The ammo cost is about $1/round more for the 338.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Fri, 11 Jan 2019 13:11:06

I agree 100%. That's why I own the RPR in 6.5. However if my choice was only 338 LM or 7mm, I'll take the 338.

I'm just turning money into smiles... the 6. Creedmoor does an amazing job of making that happen for me.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to General Discussion