It's been far too long!

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

It's been far too long!

Postby gunderwood » Tue, 21 Aug 2018 22:47:46

Hi all. It's been far too long since I regularly posted. What's going on? Life's been crazy, but why should I drop my friends?
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Re: It's been far too long!

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 06:42:00

been somewhat quiet here as of late. I know I've been head down trying to get the new house ready for move in, and hopefully that isn't too far away.

be nice getting out of the 'burbs, having some more space in the house, and probably the most relevant to this forum... my own on-prem shooting range.

It will be great, if I don't kill my back from moving all the boxes. :hysterical:
Funny without sound the hysterical guy could be rolling around in pain from moving 1000's of rounds of ammo. Ya, I'm going with that vision.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby M1A4ME » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 06:49:36

jdonovan, I know what you mean. A few months back I decided to move some ammo from one shed to another. I drove the truck down there, backed up to the door, dropped the tailgate and stared carrying cans/crates to the truck. I had ammo I didn't know I had. It kicked my butt getting it to the truck, unloading it and moving it into the other shed was just as bad. I was stiff and sore the next day.

Good news is I knew I had two cases (the long wooden ones) with HXP surplus in them for the Garands. I found a third one I didn't remember being there. Now, for Christmas, the kids (two sons and a nephew) will get a case of HXP to go along with the M1's I gave them earlier in the year.

I just reminded them while the ammo is theirs, I'd like to have the brass and clips back.

Sometimes, cleaning/organizing is a good thing.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 13:02:27

What's up?! Nice to see you back on the forum.

Like JD mentioned... its a bit slow these days. Mostly a couple of handfuls of regulars.

So what have you been up to? Family doing well? Have you been getting range time in? Any new toys to talk about?

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 22 Aug 2018 23:05:56

I think most of us are just keeping our heads down, and shaking them at the antics of the press and public.

As I've been sayin' for 7 years here.... Something is comin' down the pike!

M1 I did the same thing recently, took the ammo cans that were "half-full", and put all the ammo together. I had some leftover 50 cal cans... and immediately started filling them.

Happy is a filled ammo can.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Postby WRW » Fri, 24 Aug 2018 00:46:10

The title of this thread says it all.

Bourbon based boozy peaches in the pantry is happy also.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

WRW
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Daisy Legacy .22

Next Firearm:
9mm maybe

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:14:22

jdonovan wrote:been somewhat quiet here as of late. I know I've been head down trying to get the new house ready for move in, and hopefully that isn't too far away.

be nice getting out of the 'burbs, having some more space in the house, and probably the most relevant to this forum... my own on-prem shooting range.

It will be great, if I don't kill my back from moving all the boxes. :hysterical:
Funny without sound the hysterical guy could be rolling around in pain from moving 1000's of rounds of ammo. Ya, I'm going with that vision.

Congrats! I've sort of given up on pursuing a personal range at this point. I'd have to drive too far for work.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:20:53

MarcSpaz wrote:What's up?! Nice to see you back on the forum.

Like JD mentioned... its a bit slow these days. Mostly a couple of handfuls of regulars.

So what have you been up to? Family doing well? Have you been getting range time in? Any new toys to talk about?

Ya, looks like the forum is slow. What happened?

I've been doing well, just busy. Actually haven't been shooing in a while just due to the other constraints. Started a lot of tasks around the house and those have been eating up all my spare time. However, when I do them, I do them right (what else would you expect?), so I think I'll be set for a long time. Lot's of it is fixing the original builders short cuts after 10years.

No new firearm toys. I need to accessorize a few things, but I'm sort of hitting a natural limit. I have a lot fo quality pieces across most categories at this point. I don't see myself wanting or needing a hundred. Also, goes with the other stuff eating up all my time.

I did ride the Trans-America Trial (TAT) with my brother and hiking the Malerweg trail, etc. Ended up breaking my arm on the TAT after high-siding in Craters of the Moon NP. Finished it though with lots of ice and pain killers. Thankfully, I always wear full protective gear including a neck brace...could have been paralyzed on that high-side otherwise. I just like adventuring, but all you all already know that!

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:23:40

WRW wrote:The title of this thread says it all.

Bourbon based boozy peaches in the pantry is happy also.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

I've been on a homebrew, Scotch and strangely enough, St. Germain kick lately.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby gunderwood » Mon, 27 Aug 2018 21:26:43

Reverenddel wrote:I think most of us are just keeping our heads down, and shaking them at the antics of the press and public.

As I've been sayin' for 7 years here.... Something is comin' down the pike!

M1 I did the same thing recently, took the ammo cans that were "half-full", and put all the ammo together. I had some leftover 50 cal cans... and immediately started filling them.

Happy is a filled ammo can.

For years, I've known that I'm happy leaving the politics out of my life. Both parties are a mess as far as I'm concerned and it's best to just laugh it off and move on. I think my days of long political posts and debating are over. It's not that I don't care, it's just that there's too much else to do in the short time we have.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 28 Aug 2018 02:37:28

gunderwood wrote:Ya, looks like the forum is slow. What happened?

I have an opinion, but I'm not sure I want to post it. Not that its bad, but I am afraid my candor may not be well received by some.

gunderwood wrote:I've been doing well, just busy. Actually haven't been shooing in a while just due to the other constraints. Started a lot of tasks around the house and those have been eating up all my spare time. However, when I do them, I do them right (what else would you expect?), so I think I'll be set for a long time. Lot's of it is fixing the original builders short cuts after 10years.

We are going through the house upgrades/repairs now too. I know exactly what you are talking about. I'm sure it will be well worth the effort for you, though.

gunderwood wrote:No new firearm toys. I need to accessorize a few things, but I'm sort of hitting a natural limit. I have a lot fo quality pieces across most categories at this point. I don't see myself wanting or needing a hundred. Also, goes with the other stuff eating up all my time.

I picked up a few items since we last spent time together. I took the advice from you and JD on glass and bought some quality optics. Also switched to a more appropriate platform for the type of shooting I want to do.

This is my most recent toy... RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor

I may pickup some ACOG's for my M4 clone and 300 Blackout, but as it stands right now, I'm all over 18 inch targets at 300 yards with A2 sights. So, I don't know that I want to spend the cash since I am not shooting much further right now. Plus, if I do, it would likely be with the RPR.

I do want to get some training to shoot out to 1,000 yards, likely at Peacemaker, but I may wait until late fall to start. I have been doing auto-racing for the last couple of years. That burns a lot of spare time.

This is my current race car.

gunderwood wrote:I did ride the Trans-America Trial (TAT) with my brother and hiking the Malerweg trail, etc. Ended up breaking my arm on the TAT after high-siding in Craters of the Moon NP. Finished it though with lots of ice and pain killers. Thankfully, I always wear full protective gear including a neck brace...could have been paralyzed on that high-side otherwise. I just like adventuring, but all you all already know that!

That must have been amazing! I do a little rock crawling a couple of times a year with a nice, modded Wrangler Rubicon. I would love to try my hand at the TAT.

Do you hav any pics? I would love to see some.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

ads

Return to General Discussion