Arming teachers in Va

General discussion - Feel free to discuss anything you want here. Firearm related is preferred, but not required

Arming teachers in Va

Postby wittmeba » Fri, 13 Jul 2018 14:01:46

I agree with this idea. It seems the only way to fight walk-in shooters at schools. All respect for LE but it will take them some time to get to the destination and that can cost lives.

They should selectively ask teaches if they are willing and able, train and rehearse if needed. Any notion that all teachers should be armed is invalid. They need the confidence they can protect when needed.

https://www.breitbart.com/big-governmen ... heir-guns/
It is still a scary thought as to how close we came
to having Hillary Clinton as president of the USA.

A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Re: Arming teachers in Va

Postby SHMIV » Sat, 14 Jul 2018 06:54:56

I'm in agreement with the idea, as well. All the arguments against it, that I have heard, are rather silly.

The opposition acts as if teachers will be forced, against their will, to carry guns around. They also act as if those guns will be kept in obvious places, where students will be able to grab them with ease. One argument suggested that the teachers may suddenly freak out and open fire on everyone.

I think that bus drivers should be invited to this movement, too. If we succeed in eradicating shootings in school, angry students will just start targeting buses, so preemptively arming drivers just strikes me as a logical precaution.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby AlanM » Sun, 15 Jul 2018 07:51:47

There are ways to target a school without entering the building.

Some years ago I read a news report of a group of three boys that were going to do just that.
Two of them were going to set up a hide on a hill with rifles overlooking the main entrance/exit of the school and the third one was going to enter the school and set of the fire alarm.

I don't remember how this was stopped or if it actually happened.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Postby wittmeba » Sun, 15 Jul 2018 10:29:11

Well said, SHMIV.

You look at ANY other event where there are masses of people there are armed guards and security officers everywhere -- entrances, roaming, etc. Schools are no different but they are everyday. They have got to move some security to the school if they really want to protect the kids. It is a shame that it is necessary -- but it is a reality too.
It is still a scary thought as to how close we came
to having Hillary Clinton as president of the USA.

A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby smltooner » Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:30:31

Count me in for arming teachers.
They are the closest responders to protect the students.
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Postby Ironbear » Mon, 16 Jul 2018 10:41:54

if you have teachers that you feel you can't trust with the physical safety of your children; maybe you shouldn't be entrusting them with the hearts and minds of your children...
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 16 Jul 2018 13:54:21

AlanM wrote:There are ways to target a school without entering the building.

Some years ago I read a news report of a group of three boys that were going to do just that.
Two of them were going to set up a hide on a hill with rifles overlooking the main entrance/exit of the school and the third one was going to enter the school and set of the fire alarm.

I don't remember how this was stopped or if it actually happened.

That was the 1998 Westside Middle School massacre. In 1999, original plan at the Columbine High School massacre was to copy-cat the 1998 shooting... but they ended up doing what they did instead.

It wouldn't shock me if someone tried to copy that recently. Fortunately most of the people who pull this crap are not skilled nor mentally healthy. Most of America has no idea how much carnage a competent, skilled individual could cause if they decided to.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby AlanM » Mon, 16 Jul 2018 15:06:21

Thanks for the information. Found it on Wikipedia.
There was just two of them.
The 11 yo pulled the fire alarm and then joined the 13 yo.
5 dead, 10 injured.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC is a 1911

Return to General Discussion