Modifying HiCap Magazines to LoCap Magazines

Modifying HiCap Magazines to LoCap Magazines

Postby drakeb » Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:57:18

I have a Beretta 92FS with a bunch of 15 round capacity magazines. All are Beretta Italy factory mags. If the legislation goes through, I would not like to throw these away.

I took one apart and measured the inside diameter of the spring. As luck would have it, the end of a Scripto Sharpies just fits in side the springs. The end of the Sharpie is bullet nosed and will not get stuck on the springs like a dowel rod might. I cut two of them off at 1.25" and put them side by side inside the follower spring. Closed it up and the HiCap Mag will now only accept 7 rounds.

In your opinion, is this a high capacity magazine anymore?

Bob in Charlottesville

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
drakeb
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Bob

My Arsenal:
92FS

Re: Modifying HiCap Magazines to LoCap Magazines

Postby GeneFrenkle » Wed, 16 Jan 2013 16:13:08

IMO, it remains a 15 round magazine because it was manufactured that way and is a non-permanent change.
And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

GeneFrenkle
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby gunderwood » Wed, 16 Jan 2013 19:26:02

It's not up to us, it's however they define the unConstitutional law. If a mag ban gets passed, it is unlikely that a temporary mod will be sufficient. If you need lo-cap mags, just buy a few, don't ruin otherwise good standard-cap mags.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby Snakester » Wed, 16 Jan 2013 23:14:17

My Remington 1100 has a 5 shot Mag. 4+1 without a wood plug , but to be legal to Deer hunt the plug has to be installed . Even with the plug is installed it will only shoot 3 , but it is still a 5 shot gun. If you can modify your high Cap. mag. with out permanent damage to be able to only hold 7 rds. that is a great idea if it comes to this. I just would not ruin any of your high cap mags. :ar15: :ar15: :ar15:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby jdonovan » Thu, 17 Jan 2013 10:13:40

drakeb wrote:In your opinion, is this a high capacity magazine anymore?

none of our opinions matter.

compliance with the law matters. Va has no high-cap mag law, so we can't evaluate your compliance with it.

I would expect any future law would require a non-removable modification... i.e a rod/bar welded inside the mag. Depending on the law it might say any high-cap is allays a high-cap, and can't be modified.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby snatale42 » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 10:48:48

I wouldn't worry about something that's unlikely to happen. Even if it DID, your mags would most likely be grandfathered.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
snatale42
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Stephen

My Arsenal:
What Aresenal?

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to Firearms