Mosins or Garand ?

Discussion about Curios and Relics and the special rules that apply to ownership and sale of these firearms.

Mosins or Garand ?

Postby babarsac » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:59:37

After watching way to many WW2 movies I've caught the Garand bug and just printed out the necessary forms from the CMP. Here is my dilemma; I only have so much room in the safe and a lot is being taken up by my two Mosins. That doesn't even include the stacks of ammo I have for them.

So if given the choice would you rather have the Mosins (91/59 & PU-Sniper) or a Garand? :confused:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
babarsac
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Adam

My Arsenal:
30-06, 5.45x39, 22lr, 9mm, 380 ACP

Re: Mosins or Garand ?

Postby Moccasin » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 11:13:59

Garand of course. The only reason I bought a Mosin first was that it was more readily available. I will get a Garand eventually.

Moccasin

Postby punchie » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 13:41:39

Find a different place for the "stacks of ammo", keep both Mosins, and buy the Garand.
AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY

punchie
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Stephen

Postby Hiwaytahell » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 15:59:42

Keep the mosins and get the garand. I had a cmp garand years ago and loved it. I had to get rid of it due to finances though :doh:

Hiwaytahell
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Two rocks, and a snowball.

Postby Fordmechanic » Wed, 17 Jun 2009 07:59:47

I have 2 Garands, and 1 sniper Mosin 91/30, 1 '33 hex head Mosin 91/30, a 91/59 carbine mosin and a Tokarev SVT 40. Buy the garand, then get the Tokarev! You won't regret it!

Fordmechanic
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
2 M1 garands, Mauser 98K Russian capture,Mauser 98k soldier bringback,2 M1 Carbines, Lee Enfield, Swiss K31,Swedish Mauser, 91/30 Mosin sniper /w PU scope, 91/30 hex head, 91/59 Mosin carbine, 03 Sringfield, M1917 Rifle, Tokarev SVT 40, 1952 Tula SKS semi auto. CETME with all H&K internals. OHHH , and about 6000 rds of mil surp ammo.

Next Firearm:
Gewehr 43, German WW2 semi auto rifle

Postby TJB63 » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 08:35:11

Garand.....Then an M1A

Keep the Mosins and do what I did.....Get another Safe.

TJB

TJB63
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: TJ

Postby Tinygnat219 » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 13:25:59

Here's the problem you have, not finances, but space. Take the ammo OUT of the safe and bingo, you have room.

Problem solved. :clap:

Tinygnat219
On Target
On Target

Postby Moccasin » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:01:49

Tinygnat219 wrote:Here's the problem you have, not finances, but space. Take the ammo OUT of the safe and bingo, you have room.

Problem solved. :clap:

OK Einstein. My ammo is either on or beside my safe and I still don't have room for any more guns. I've taken to putting some of the handguns in my underwear drawer (I can do without underwear). So what do you suggest I do so I'll have more room?

Moccasin

Postby herohog » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:34:48

Under the bed is good. Good excuse to herd all the dust bunnies out from under there!

herohog
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Speedy

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 22 Jun 2009 18:37:56

You'd be surprised how many ammo cans will fit under a king size bed :mrgreen: :yes:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby cwats04 » Tue, 23 Jun 2009 10:59:41

take one of the mosins out of the safe and buy a cheap hard case for it that can sit outside of the safe, then put the garand in the safe

cwats04
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: C

Next Firearm:

Postby DRat » Sat, 13 Feb 2010 18:47:57

I would certainly go for the Garand, and agree the ammo could go somewhere else to make room for it.

DRat
On Target
On Target

First Name: Denis

My Arsenal:
Various pistols and rifles; military rifle collector

Next Firearm:
30 cal AR rifle

Postby HK91762mm » Sat, 20 Feb 2010 20:06:57

Absoluty get in on the M1 Garand deal -They are great shooters. The mosins --Hey you need an excuse to buy another gun safe --OR just keep em in the closet- If You live in a bad area MOVE now while you can before they break in and conficate safe and all !

I got an M1 from CMP it turned out to be a winchester -WIN -13 !

HK91762mm
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
Ar-15,Ak-47,Hk91-UZI,FAL,Garand,03-A3

Postby drjon4u2 » Sat, 10 Apr 2010 23:32:32

The Garand is a double step forward in rifle evolution and in caliber design, and, is a much better built and substantial weapon.

The Russians had to break the copied bolt into multiple pieces to avoid paying Mauser copyright infringement fees. Although the Mosin is a durable weapon and its ctg. equivalent to the 30.06, it just has clunky sights, poor workmanship, a problem with sticking ctgs. and hard cycling. Ammo is cheap, but then so was life for the average Ivan.

The best Moisin I had was a Czarist all matched with original blue made at the Peter The Great manufacturing facility in 1910, but the sights were terrible, marked in Arshans (figure that one out) and with its tent peg bayonet attached had terrible balance.

The Garand has sights that are still in use (not including lock nut and lock bar) on the M14 and are terrific. The weapon is a tack driver even when it has many thousands of rounds through it. It won a two front war and was used in amny other wars. The rimless ctg will bring down any creature in North or South America and 95% of African beasts and is easy to find in multiple loadings. You can shoot high power and CMP and collector sites like Scott Duff and his books explain everything about the arm. CMP is a great source of shootable and safe rifles and reasonable price. Good balance and neither of my two Garands has ever failed to function. The triggers are simply great two stage machines with super clean break. The twist bolt functions in every condition. It and its child, the M14 are the best of the best.

drjon4u2
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
USFA Prewar 7.5
USFA Custer 7.5
Colt SAA 5.5
Kimber Warrior and RCPII
Colt Gold Cup Electroless M70
Colt AR15 SP1
LWRC .223 Piston 16"
M1As Springfields and LRBs
Sig P220
PPK
Garands SA42 and SA45
S&Ws
1909 Luger P08
1916 Luger P08/14
etc, etc, etc etc
There are never enough toys..............

Postby kanata67 » Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:17:23

keep the m91's and get a garand. I plan on hitting up cmp myself once I get with the nearest qualified club to meet the requirements. As for storage... I need a safe myself. In the mean time I have all mine guns in plastic hard cases or the original/shipping box. Most are in my toy room closet along with most of my bows and pointy things. It's easy enough to put a lock on a closet door. Granted I can't put any clothing in my closet and I kinda need a bigger closet. The plastic hard cases are nice in that they are cheap and you can keep most accessories and a loaded clip/box of ammo with the gun for quick access.

I highly recommend keeping only 1-2 clips/20rd boxes of ammo with each firearm. Store the rest of your ammo far away from your safe, preferably near an outside wall. A friend living in a quad style apartment had to have the fire dept. keep a hose trained on one closet after one of the neighbors set the building on fire. The fire dept didn't take him seriously till the first box of tracers went off.
"The deeper sorrow cleaves into your soul the greater it's capacity to contain joy" -DeSade

when in doubt set it on fire.

kanata67
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
walther p22
others

Postby allingeneral » Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:27:36

kanata67 wrote:I plan on hitting up cmp myself once I get with the nearest qualified club to meet the requirements.

VCDL membership qualifies you for CMP. http://vcdl.org
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby kanata67 » Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:03:22

allingeneral wrote:
kanata67 wrote:I plan on hitting up cmp myself once I get with the nearest qualified club to meet the requirements.

VCDL membership qualifies you for CMP. http://vcdl.org

sorry but I have to get with the club in either fort white or jacksonville as I'm near gainesville, fl.
I'm sure the info will help many others though
"The deeper sorrow cleaves into your soul the greater it's capacity to contain joy" -DeSade

kanata67
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
walther p22
others

Postby Diomed » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 01:35:08

kanata67 wrote:sorry but I have to get with the club in either fort white or jacksonville as I'm near gainesville, fl.

You can still join the VCDL and use it for CMP purchases. Geography is irrelevant when it comes to affiliated club membership (for example, there is no location for the Garand Collectors Association, really).

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby kanata67 » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 18:33:01

Diomed wrote:
kanata67 wrote:sorry but I have to get with the club in either fort white or jacksonville as I'm near gainesville, fl.

You can still join the VCDL and use it for CMP purchases. Geography is irrelevant when it comes to affiliated club membership (for example, there is no location for the Garand Collectors Association, really).

cool. Unfortunately I also need to get signed off on the
"Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:
You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

- Current or past military service."

do I need to qualify at a range or does my honorable dd214 work? I'm ex navy and suffice to say the weapons training for the guy with glowey wands directing planes wasn't what I would call comprehensive.

kanata67
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
walther p22
others

Postby CowboyT » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 23:02:35

One more vote for keeping your Mosins and putting your ammo somewhere else to make room for the Garand.

I have to disagree about Mosins not being all that good, though. They're tough, and mine is very accurate indeed, more so than its shooter.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom ain't free, folks. It takes work.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
CowboyT
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Cowboy

My Arsenal:
'Scuze me...what "arsenal"?? I thought militaries had "arsenals"....

Next Firearm:
Huh? How'm I supposed to know?? I'm a Liberal!

Next

Return to Curios and Relics