Leupold VX-1 2-7x33mm, Matte, LR DuplexVX-1 2-7x33mm, Matte, LR Duplex
Leupold
    Leupold VX-1 SG/Muz 2-7x33mm Matte Heavy DupVX-1 SG/Muz 2-7x33mm Matte Heavy Dup
Leupold
    Leupold VX-1 SG/Muz 2-7x33mm Matte Trk PlexVX-1 SG/Muz 2-7x33mm Matte Trk Plex
Leupold

Mosins or Garand ?

Discussion about Curios and Relics and the special rules that apply to ownership and sale of these firearms.

Re: Mosins or Garand ?

Postby Diomed » Fri, 24 Dec 2010 01:38:07

kanata67 wrote:do I need to qualify at a range or does my honorable dd214 work?

DD214 is all you need.

Diomed
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Nah

Postby KABAR2 » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:48:44

Unless the Mosin is a Remingon, a Westinghouse or other rare bird
they can sit outside the safe to make room for a good U.S. manufactured
battle rife like the Garand....

Good thing Patton isn't still alive he'd have hit you upside your head for a question like this :bangin:

KABAR2
On Target
On Target

Postby gunderwood » Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:52:31

KABAR2 wrote:Good thing Patton isn't still alive he'd have hit you upside your head for a question like this :bangin:

:clap:
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby drcagle » Wed, 17 Aug 2011 11:32:40

Like everybody says, keep the Mosins and get the Garand. Find a spot in that safe for a garand and you won't be sorry. Even if you have to move a mosin somewhere else it is worth it. One of my daughters, my son-in-law, and I were having a fun day shooting a variety of rifles. 30-30 winchester, ar-15, winchester m70 in 7mm mag, 22 rimfire, etc. She was shooting well (she always does) when she mentioned she had never shot my Garand. Well, I that was easy to fix. The great thing was that of everything she shot that day, she shot the Garand best (even though she was more familiar with the ar-15). Made old dad SMILE. :clap:

drcagle
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby FS00008 » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 07:06:08

Keep the Mosins, add a Garand to the collection.

Mosin 91/59s are becoming extremely rare, and while not yet uber valuable are getting more valuable than they were a few years ago.

WRT the PU Sniper, is it original or a repro?

FS00008
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Lost 'em all in a tragic boating accident ;-)

Postby Kreutz » Thu, 08 Sep 2011 08:40:24

:whistle: mauserK98k :whistle:

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Kreutz
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lolwhut

My Arsenal:
12ga.
9mm
7.62x38R
8x56r

Next Firearm:
can't sell another kidney (never said I was gonna sell mine)

Postby kanata67 » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 20:04:26

http://classicarms.us/firearms.htm still has m-91's cheap. They also have a heavy barrel + receiver package I am curious about. Has anybody had any experience with such a build? With the barrel and receiver package plus a montecarlo stock what else would be needed to make a complete heavy barrel mossin without sacraficing an existing one?
"The deeper sorrow cleaves into your soul the greater it's capacity to contain joy" -DeSade

when in doubt set it on fire.

kanata67
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
walther p22
others

Postby ratherfish » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 13:58:21

Uh oh I may get myself in trouble but that never stopped me.

You're really comparing apples and oranges.

Mosins were made so that they could be produced in mass placed in the hands of an untrained illeterate Russian farmer so that with an hours training he could throw lead. If he reverted back and used it as a farm implement, no harm done.

The M1 is a pleasure. To shoot, to know and would be worth it If only for the stories you get from those of the greatest generation when you take it to the range.

Obama seems to take it as a personal assignment to destroy all that are left outside the US so it may be your last chance.

Knowing the Russian theory of armamant I'd not be surprised if their were warehouses full of mosins in cosmoline all over the world waiting to arm the workers of the world. They just don't throw anything away.
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'
-C. S. Lewis

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
ratherfish
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Will do for now

Postby Remek » Fri, 18 Oct 2013 15:21:58

Did someone find the defibrillation device I hid?
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

Location: Fredericksburg, or that is the nearest recognizable locale
First Name: Rob

My Arsenal:
An Official Red Ryder Carbine-Action Two-Hundred-Shot Range Model Air Rifle!

Next Firearm:
I would never touch something like that!

Postby ratherfish » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 12:27:55

Yes!

In the form of a new to me National Match M1 , all SA, receiver a five digit dated 1942. It was re-barreled and assembled the last time by SA in 1963.

Forced me into a lot of homework an research and renewed my appreciation for the M1. It IS a milestone in the armorers art.

I don't collect military weaponry. But I had to have it. I don't own any Russian armaments as I've stared down the wrong end of most at one time or another. The m1 is special. Hope you found a good one.
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'
-C. S. Lewis

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
ratherfish
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Will do for now

Postby Remek » Sat, 19 Oct 2013 14:15:38

Glad you found one and like it. Congrats!

I have been planning to buy a Garand for about 6 months now. I just have to get past the idea of stashing more money is not as important as a Garand.

Hoping to buy one as an Xmas present for myself.
"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
Thomas Jefferson

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby bryanrheem » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:27:35

I am also about to pull the trigger on a Garand. Was saving up for a tax stamp, but figured the Garand is going to get harder and harder to get.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
bryanrheem
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bryan

My Arsenal:
just keeps growing....

Postby Remek » Thu, 31 Oct 2013 12:43:10

I keep looking for a private sale, to stay off the 4473s, but I cannot find any. Might have to give up and just buy.
Thomas Jefferson

Remek
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Previous

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to Curios and Relics