Front sight on Mauser M48

Discussion about Curios and Relics and the special rules that apply to ownership and sale of these firearms.

Front sight on Mauser M48

Postby MountainCat » Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:52:43

I just picked up a 50s Yugo M-48 the other day. The front sight is shifted to the left at almost it's full limit.
A quick assessment (10 rounds) showed that the sight likely has to be shifted even farther.
Initially, I was worried that the barrel may be bent but a quick net search revealed that there are others with the same issue.

I can't tell with my eyes if the front sight mount is rotated but that is probably the cause. Correct?

How common is this situation with Mausers?

MountainCat
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: T

My Arsenal:
Rubber Band Pistol

Next Firearm:
Rubber Band Rifle

Re: Front sight on Mauser M48

Postby vbrtrmn » Tue, 19 Jan 2010 02:25:37

You should be able to drift the sight to the left and right with a punch or press.

Read this article on replacing the sights and you'll see a pic of him drifting the sight out.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/mojot38/index.asp

Here's a review on a tool for adjusting the front sights, not sure about the cost.
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/lt2/index.asp

Any gunsmith should be able to do this for you.

Good luck!

vbrtrmn
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Paul

My Arsenal:
Rubber Band Gun

Postby MountainCat » Thu, 21 Jan 2010 19:30:41

Thanks but that's not the problem. I'll try to explain better.

A previous owner (manufacturer??) sighted the gun in by drifting the sight all the way to the left and it needs to go farther. It could possibly go a little farther and still have good contact with the dovetail but I would rather fix it properly.

My best guess is that the front sight mount is not clocked on the barrel properly.

At this point what I plan to do is de-solder the mount and clock it with a digital level.

I was really more curious as to how common the problem is. I would think that a rifle builder would have a jig for something that needs proper alignment when it's soldered.

MountainCat
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: T

My Arsenal:
Rubber Band Pistol

Next Firearm:
Rubber Band Rifle

Postby Afrikaner82 » Fri, 29 Jan 2010 20:21:12

It sounds like you have a rifle with poor workmanship to it at the factory. I have not needed to move my sights on any of my Mausers. Do not know what would have caused it but go to the surplus forum and see if anyone has had the same issues.
For God, Country and Corps.
Semper Fi.

In life we face many challenges but face them we must, stand up and face what is coming.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Afrikaner82
On Target
On Target

First Name: Louis

Postby Jim » Sun, 03 Oct 2010 16:51:22

I wonder if the barrel is bent.
Lord, please protect us today from having to use deadly force.

Jim
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

Postby Jacob » Tue, 25 Sep 2012 16:46:01

A lot of the Yugos were 'thrown' together, despite being nice most of the time out of the box, they assembled so-so. How does the rear sight look? It could be a tolerance stack of the two being out in opposite directions, check them both. Also check for severe stock pressure on the barrel, that could be shifting, and of course look at the crown.
Shoot it close, at 25 yards, then gradually take it out and see how the POI changes and does it group ok just extremely to the left, or does it group badly to the left.
Lot of variables, let us know what you do wind up finding to be the problem.

Jacob
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Jacob

My Arsenal:
German Guild Rifle off of a 1903, set trigger, French Walnut, Buffalo Horn grip cap, Zeiss 4X in claw mounts.

Next Firearm:
Anybody's guess...

Return to Curios and Relics