School grounds

Open Carry and Concealed Carry. Where did you carry today?

Re: School grounds

Postby decemberkid911 » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:06:24

Hello, I have a question about concealed carrying my firearm into my kid's daycare. It used to be a religious building but not any more but the it is a religiously exempt child day center. (There is no religious activities when I drop off my kid) Is this still recognized as a "school" under the VA gun law?

decemberkid911
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Glock 22C

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 10:46:02

I'm not a lawyer, but it seems to depend on if the daycare is registered as a private school, or if it is strictly "Childcare in absents of the parent(s)". If its the latter, you are fine, assuming there are no other applicable laws. If its a private school, you will be breaking the law if you carry.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby decemberkid911 » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 11:13:00

Thank you for the reply. I just checked to make sure on the state web site. It's actually registered as Child Day Center which is defined as "
Child day centers are child day programs offered to (1) two or more children under the age of 13 years in a facility that is not the residence of the provider or of any of the children in care or (2) 13 or more children at any location. During the absence of a parent or guardian, the operator of the child day center has agreed to assume responsibility for the supervision, protection and well-being of children under the age of 13 years for less than a 24-hour period. By law, a child day center may be granted either a six-month conditional license, a six-month provisional license or a two-year license."

It is not a private party. So I guess it is not recognized as a school and I'll be ok to concealed-carry inside? I'm not pressed to carry inside. I can always leave it in my vehicle. I was just curious.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

decemberkid911
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Glock 22C

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 20:12:16

Based on your opinion of it being a Day Care Center and not a school, if I were in your position, I would carry in the Day Care Center with confidence. Again... that is based on the idea that there are no other laws prohibiting carrying of a weapon, such as the property owner having signs posted that weapons are prohibited.

If you do carry in the daycare, in my personal opinion, I would go out of my way to be 100% on my toes, ensuring that there is no accidental exposure and ensure the kids have no idea. The last thing I would want is some brainwashed kid freaking out because the spotted it by mistake.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby decemberkid911 » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 20:51:13

I agree. Having Extra caution and situational awareness is never a bad thing. Thank you very much.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

decemberkid911
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Glock 22C

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 18 Aug 2015 21:02:57

NP. Be safe and enjoy life my friend.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Previous

Return to Carrying Your Firearm