Received my VA CCW

Open Carry and Concealed Carry. Where did you carry today?

Received my VA CCW

Postby unixfool » Sat, 28 Feb 2015 17:05:45

I submitted my application for CCW on the 20th. I got the permit in the mail today. That's 8 days from start to finish. I was assuming it would take maybe 3 weeks. That's crazy fast, but my background is very clear (most of my work history is with the federal government).

I now want to enroll in a class and find a good holster. I also need to decide which of my guns I'd like to carry.

I'm so excited.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
unixfool
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Ron

My Arsenal:
SIG: P220 Equinox / SP2022 9mm / P320 Compact 9mm
RIA: M1911A1 MS Tac II 9mm / M1911A1 MS Ultra 2011 22TCM/9mm
Canik: Black TP-9SA 9mm / Desert Tan TP-9SA 9mm
Metro Arms 1911 AC Cdr 45ACP
Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 9mm
Glock 19 Gen 4
Grand Power P11 Mk12

Next Firearm:
It'll be awhile

Re: Received my VA CCW

Postby dusterdude » Sat, 28 Feb 2015 18:39:45

Excellent!!!!

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps  
dusterdude
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
bersa 380,taurus pt145 and m1 garand

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 28 Feb 2015 18:41:55

That's awesome! Congratulations!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby smltooner » Sat, 28 Feb 2015 18:51:22

Carry with pride!
THE HIGH PRICE OF FREEDOM IS A COST PAID BY A BRAVE FEW. In memory of our fallen heroes.

THOSE WHO SERVE DESERVE HONOR, RESPECT, THANKS.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
smltooner
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Ted

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sat, 28 Feb 2015 20:28:09

Congrats on the new permit! :clap: :friends:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Postby wittmeba » Sun, 01 Mar 2015 12:05:14

Glad to hear you received your permit. Pretty simple here in Virginia.

Where are you in Va?

What kind of holster do you think you want? I suspect you will end up with at least 2 - IWB and OWB. Most are not used for both but there are a few that can be.

Here is a monstrous list of links to most mfgs. I have verified almost every one.

Searching:
One method of deciding I suggest is going to Google - enter your gun make, model holsters and search. When you get the 'found' list click on 'images' at the top. Go through the pics and see what you like. Some images will lead to the mfg - others to forums and/or discussions. Have fun in your search.

http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/t ... sters.html
It is still a scary thought as to how close we came
to having Hillary Clinton as president of the USA.

A Concealed Weapon Permit is nothing more than a permit to allow a LAC to wear a jacket.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
wittmeba
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bruce

My Arsenal:
Lost when boat capsized

Next Firearm:
Ruger SP101 .357 with 3" barrel

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 01 Mar 2015 12:12:15

Congrats on your shiny new permit! Get it laminated so that it will survive for 5 years and carry on smrtly!
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby unixfool » Sun, 01 Mar 2015 13:15:22

wittmeba wrote:Glad to hear you received your permit. Pretty simple here in Virginia.

Where are you in Va?

What kind of holster do you think you want? I suspect you will end up with at least 2 - IWB and OWB. Most are not used for both but there are a few that can be.

Here is a monstrous list of links to most mfgs. I have verified almost every one.

Searching:
One method of deciding I suggest is going to Google - enter your gun make, model holsters and search. When you get the 'found' list click on 'images' at the top. Go through the pics and see what you like. Some images will lead to the mfg - others to forums and/or discussions. Have fun in your search.

http://gotnarcosis.com/brucewittmeier/t ... sters.html

Thanks for the advice! I've already been googling and looking at images of holsters for the guns I want to carry.

I'm in the Manassas area.

I want one IWB and one OWB...I just need to decide which gun I want to carry (I've 10 to pick from). More than likely, I'll be attempting to carry either of my two 1911 Commanders. Alternatives would be my XD Mod.2 subcompact. I also have another subcompact, a Grand Power P11, but it isn't well-known and I might have issues finding a suitable holster for it. I've found several candidate holsters already (for the 1911s and the XD).

I just might stick with one nice 1911 holster just to keep the selection process simple. I'm hesitant to spend a lot on holsters because I'll be moving to CA this summer. I'll be losing the right of carrying openly and getting carry permits in CA is a pretty ridiculous process. This is why I opted to get a VA carry permit...just to get a taste of freedom before I head west...I've a few months to savor.

Again, thanks for the advice and support, guys!

unixfool
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Glock 19 Gen 4
Grand Power P11 Mk12

Next Firearm:
It'll be awhile

Postby Doglover » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 14:09:35

That's interesting the differences in locales. I am in Central Virginia and I was told I would get a card in the mail to come pick up my permit. Its been less than a week now for me. You got yours in the mail. Not a big deal either way but interesting. Congrats on your permit!!!

Doglover
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
High Standard 12 Gauge Pump action shotgun
Hi Standard .22 cal double nine revolver
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long Pistol
Herters Sporterized Fn Mauser 30.06 Rifle
Remington .22 pump action rifle.

Postby unixfool » Sun, 10 Jan 2016 14:16:38

Doglover wrote:That's interesting the differences in locales. I am in Central Virginia and I was told I would get a card in the mail to come pick up my permit. Its been less than a week now for me. You got yours in the mail. Not a big deal either way but interesting. Congrats on your permit!!!

Yeah...it's been 10 months now. I should have the Utah in less than 60 days, as well...I was *just* ahead of the recent stampede.

unixfool
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
Glock 19 Gen 4
Grand Power P11 Mk12

Next Firearm:
It'll be awhile

Postby ProShooter » Mon, 11 Jan 2016 16:38:08

Doglover wrote:That's interesting the differences in locales. I am in Central Virginia and I was told I would get a card in the mail to come pick up my permit. Its been less than a week now for me. You got yours in the mail. Not a big deal either way but interesting. Congrats on your permit!!!

They have to send the permit to you by mail....its the law.

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby Doglover » Mon, 11 Jan 2016 18:43:52

ProShooter wrote:

Interesting. I was not aware of that. For whatever reason they don't here though. I will have to go get it.

Doglover
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
High Standard 12 Gauge Pump action shotgun
Hi Standard .22 cal double nine revolver
Ruger Blackhawk .45 Long Pistol
Herters Sporterized Fn Mauser 30.06 Rifle
Remington .22 pump action rifle.

Postby ProShooter » Mon, 11 Jan 2016 19:23:54

Doglover wrote:
ProShooter wrote:

Interesting. I was not aware of that. For whatever reason they don't here though. I will have to go get it.

Here it is:

§ 18.2-308.04. Processing of the application and issuance of a concealed handgun permit.

Bills amending this Section

A. The clerk of court shall enter on the application the date on which the application and all other information required to be submitted by the applicant is received.

B. Upon receipt of the completed application, the court shall consult with either the sheriff or police department of the county or city and receive a report from the Central Criminal Records Exchange.

C. The court shall issue the permit via United States mail and notify the State Police of the issuance of the permit within 45 days of receipt of the completed application unless it is determined that the applicant is disqualified. Any order denying issuance of the permit shall be in accordance with § 18.2-308.08. If the applicant is later found by the court to be disqualified after a five-year permit has been issued, the permit shall be revoked.

D. A court may authorize the clerk to issue concealed handgun permits, without judicial review, to applicants who have submitted complete applications, for whom the criminal history records check does not indicate a disqualification and, after consulting with either the sheriff or police department of the county or city, about which application there are no outstanding questions or issues. The court clerk shall be immune from suit arising from any acts or omissions relating to the issuance of concealed handgun permits without judicial review pursuant to this section unless the clerk was grossly negligent or engaged in willful misconduct. This section shall not be construed to limit, withdraw, or overturn any defense or immunity already existing in statutory or common law, or to affect any cause of action accruing prior to July 1, 2010.

E. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall specify only the following information: name, address, date of birth, gender, height, weight, color of hair, color of eyes, and signature of the permittee; the signature of the judge issuing the permit, of the clerk of court who has been authorized to sign such permits by the issuing judge, or of the clerk of court who has been authorized to issue such permits pursuant to subsection D; the date of issuance; and the expiration date. The permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be no larger than two inches wide by three and one-fourth inches long and shall be of a uniform style prescribed by the Department of State Police.

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Return to Carrying Your Firearm