Firearm Unfriendly Businesses in Virginia

Open Carry and Concealed Carry. Where did you carry today?

Re: Firearm Unfriendly Businesses in Virginia

Postby zephyp » Sun, 10 May 2009 09:34:19

I work in the Pentagon and take metro so I cant pack along the way. I'm pretty fortunate since I take an express bus to and from work and most of the riders are DOD. I live in a borderline neighborhood but havent run into any problems yet. I do try to avoid the subway since gangs hang out in some of the stations. Crime (assault, theft, rape) is commonplace around some of the terminal stations. There are a few gun friendly businesses around here but not many.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby goodoleboy » Sun, 10 May 2009 11:41:22

Moccasin wrote:
goodoleboy wrote:As a memeber of the younger generation I can say that not all of us are like that. I myself had a job but got fired due to the economy, and I DO plan on OC my lovely .380 the day I turn 21....only 3 years left

I know not all of you are like that, but unfortunately there are quite a few that are. If you are 18 and looking for a job try THESE people. My oldest son works for them, seems like a pretty good gig. You won't get rich but it is steady work.

Thanks very much for that link, thing is I'm still in highschool and I don't live near enough any of the open jobs they have to commute. Thanks for the thought though.

goodoleboy
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Cody

My Arsenal:
couple Remington shotguns, Ruger .22 revolver, S&W .380, Ruger 10/22, couple other .22 rifles

Next Firearm:
Stoger Coach Gun, or 1911 style .45 in 3 years

Postby Dragonfly » Sun, 10 May 2009 19:24:25

Moccasin wrote:I know not all of you are like that, but unfortunately there are quite a few that are. If you are 18 and looking for a job try THESE people. My oldest son works for them, seems like a pretty good gig. You won't get rich but it is steady work.

Have to agree with Moccasin, I have been working for (THESE) people for over twenty years and have seen CO's work up through the ranks to warden or better. Where else can you get paid for practice shooting weapons plus three hots and a cot while in training
:pistol: :machinegun: :tommygun: :fireright: :hysterical:
Proud Member VVA, VCDL, NRA

Dragonfly
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Grumpy

My Arsenal:
Kahr PM9
XDM9
XD40 Sub

Next Firearm:
Nice one

Postby Nathan » Fri, 15 May 2009 09:23:42

Add Valley View Mall in Roanoke, VA. The mall entrances used to be posted but I don't think that's the case any longer... at least I haven't seen a posted entrance in a long time. However, the web site states:

http://www.valleyviewmall.com/shop/vall ... f/security

"The policy is in effect for the entire mall except for stores with exterior entrances. This would include Belk, JCPenney, Macy’s, and Sears.

The policy does include the walkways and any corridors leading to the mall. In addition, unsupervised shoppers under the age of 18 will not be allowed to congregate in the mall parking lot."

The following is listed as being prohibited:

20. Carrying or displaying weapons of any kind except those carried by certified law enforcement officers in the performance of their duties.

I don't particularly enjoy going to the mall to begin with but I sure as heck don't like having to disarm to comply with a ridiculous mall management policy.

Nathan
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Nathan

Postby allingeneral » Fri, 15 May 2009 09:38:59

Nathan wrote:Add Valley View Mall in Roanoke, VA. The mall entrances used to be posted but I don't think that's the case any longer... at least I haven't seen a posted entrance in a long time.

If it's not posted conspicuously at the entrances, then one can't be held responsible to "Go look up their rules online" before visiting. I'd say carry anytime you like there as long as the entrances aren't posted. If you are asked to leave because of it, kindly let them know that you were unaware that legal firearms aren't allowed there (as there is nothing posted to indicate such) - then leave.
Please consider a DONATION to VGOF to help cover our operating costs

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby NickFac » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 16:39:09

You can allso add Deny's on VA beach blvd in Virginia beach. I was OCin in there this morning and was asked to leave. Not before one of our local democrats asked me if I was "virginia beach" When i asked what she meant she said LEO. The server was there when she started asking me questions and said that I could not have that in there. (my gun) So I told her that nothing was posted to say otherwise and left.

NickFac
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Moccasin » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 17:10:54

NickFac, did you speak with a manager? IMO if it is not posted that you cannot OC or CC then it takes something more than a server to make the decision. Obviously the property owner can make that determination and I would accept that the owners representative (a manager) has the authority to make that decision in the absence of other guidance, but not any other employee.

I think if someone asked if I were "Virginia Beach" I'd have to reply that no, I'm from Madison County (or Virginia Beach or wherever you are from). If they want to believe I'm an LEO from that locality that's their problem. Don't claim to be an LEO and don't ask them to clarify their question.

I guess I need to OC more often to see what the responses will be. I think that OC is more acceptable in my area though.

Moccasin

Postby lyellowdragonl » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 19:49:08

lol i just bought a holster and im going to be opening carrying one day LOL

lyellowdragonl
Marksman
Marksman

Postby NickFac » Sat, 13 Jun 2009 20:58:27

I should have spoken to a manger yea, but at that point I was begining to get frustrated with the black woman talking to me and trying to play 20 questions while i'm ordering breakfast. It was better that I remove myself from the situation rather than continue to let the woman anoy me.

NickFac
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby SgtBill » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:27:44

I would not have answered any of her questions. It is none of her business what or who you are. I am a hard head and don't put up with crap from anyone. I suppose 25 year'sin law enforcement and 9 1/2 year's in the military made me that way. Ask Vahunter, I just don't give a damn.
Bill :machinegun: :machinegun:

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Postby Vahunter » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 09:35:27

SgtBill wrote:I would not have answered any of her questions. It is none of her business what or who you are. I am a hard head and don't put up with crap from anyone. I suppose 25 year'sin law enforcement and 9 1/2 year's in the military made me that way. Ask Vahunter, I just don't give a damn.
Bill :machinegun: :machinegun:

Well I guess Denny's is off limits when I go to the beach in a couple of weeks. :roll:

Yep just ask me and I'll tell you .......... Bill is hard headed. But what can you expect from an old fart from Jerseeey. :hysterical:

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby NickFac » Sun, 14 Jun 2009 17:56:19

lol...
That's ok though I kept my money went to food lion and spent $7 bucks on breakfast as compared to over $20. So it worked in my favor anyway. Lesson learned.

NickFac
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Tinygnat219 » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:03:56

flowmaster wrote:gilbert's small arms range in lorton has a thing written on the whiteboard when you walk in, to the right of the door, saying no loaded firearms. i've seen people open carrying, but its always with the slide locked back.

That's an insurance regulation that they have to keep their liability insurance. It's fairly common with gun stores. I'd be careful about calling a gun store like Gilberts "Firearm Unfriendly". It's pretty short-sighted. Not slamming you, but asking you to be more considerate of one of the few Northern VA gunstores that sells handguns.

Tinygnat219
On Target
On Target

Postby allingeneral » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 20:43:50

Tinygnat219 wrote:
flowmaster wrote:gilbert's small arms range in lorton has a thing written on the whiteboard when you walk in, to the right of the door, saying no loaded firearms. i've seen people open carrying, but its always with the slide locked back.

That's an insurance regulation that they have to keep their liability insurance. It's fairly common with gun stores. I'd be careful about calling a gun store like Gilberts "Firearm Unfriendly". It's pretty short-sighted. Not slamming you, but asking you to be more considerate of one of the few Northern VA gunstores that sells handguns.

Fair enough - I have removed Gilberts and Runions from the list since they are required by insurance to post their requirements.

Thank you for that bit of insight Tinygnat.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Tinygnat219 » Mon, 15 Jun 2009 21:16:10

allingeneral wrote:
Tinygnat219 wrote:

Fair enough - I have removed Gilberts and Runions from the list since they are required by insurance to post their requirements.

Thank you for that bit of insight Tinygnat.

Hey, Thank you! I just figured we'd be breaking our own knees.

Tinygnat219
On Target
On Target

Postby dirtygrunt95 » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:30:28

I don't agree. Gilberts is much closer to me but I refuse to go there because of that sign, so Virginia Arms and Loudoun Guns get my business. They have no such signs and actually like it when customers carry there, so I feel that gilberst is very gun unfriendly. But thats just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

dirtygrunt95
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby allingeneral » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:37:14

It's hard for me to believe that Gilberts can be "Gun unfriendly" since their livelihood depends upon those of us who own guns. I've never been there, so take this for what it's worth.

Maybe they get cheaper insurance rates by posting and enforcing that rule? Kinda like if you get an alarm system for your car, then call the insurance company to let them know - they'll likely discount your vehicle policy because you took an active step to make your vehicle a lesser insurance risk.

allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Tinygnat219 » Tue, 16 Jun 2009 09:58:22

dirtygrunt95 wrote:I don't agree. Gilberts is much closer to me but I refuse to go there because of that sign, so Virginia Arms and Loudoun Guns get my business. They have no such signs and actually like it when customers carry there, so I feel that gilberst is very gun unfriendly. But thats just my opinion, and you know what they say about opinions.

Fair enough. You definitely have the option of not going there. However, calling them "gun owner unfriendly" in my opinion is going WAY too far for a business that ummm... sells guns. They are also only one of 4 ranges in Northern VA. Methinks we should limit the "gun owner unfriendly" to businesses that actually deserve it.

I like VA Arms as well, probably the best gun shop in Northern VA, never been to Loudon Guns since I live in Alexandria.

Tinygnat219
On Target
On Target

Postby zephyp » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 14:27:41

I frequent Gilbert's and would prefer to carry but in their defense they aren't situated in the best of locations. Most of the folks I see while I'm there appear to be respectable but I've also seen quite a few thugs as well. I've also been there on more than one occasion when one of the staff was explaining to a customer requirements for non-citizens to purchase a firearm. They are for the most part friendly and carry a pretty good selection of new handguns with fair prices and also a nice selection of used rifles and shotguns. They get part of my business primarily for that reason and they are also close.
No more catchy slogans for me...I am simply fed up...4...four...4...2+2...

zephyp
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: DK

My Arsenal:
My Favs:
Whatever gets the job done.

Next Firearm:
M-1 Garand

Postby NewColonial » Thu, 18 Jun 2009 15:18:29

zephyp wrote:I frequent Gilbert's and would prefer to carry but in their defense they aren't situated in the best of locations. Most of the folks I see while I'm there appear to be respectable but I've also seen quite a few thugs as well.

Seems to me their signs only serve to disarm the honest folks. I doubt thugs with bad intents are going to say "Aw shucks, we can go there." There's a pretty nice gun store right down the road from my office and I rarely stop in just due to the hassle of unloading and then loading again. It's not located in the best of neighborhoods.
"Though defensive violence will always be 'a sad necessity' in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men."
--Saint Augustine

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member  
NewColonial
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: David

PreviousNext

Return to Carrying Your Firearm