I don't know anything about guns!!

Open Carry and Concealed Carry. Where did you carry today?

Postby Bisjac » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 16:40:40

So I finally decided order 2 guns today. A Sig Sauer 1911 and a M400. I've only shot a gun in boot camp, and that was 6 years ago. I've Googled the VA gun laws, but it seems to be in Spanish, and I hate reading. I was hoping someone could dumb it down for me lol.

Will I receive registration for the guns when I pick them up in a few days?

Do I need anything to transport these guns in my car throughout Virginia? I know for Pistols it just has to be hidden in a container, but what about Semi-Auto Rifles?

Do the clips have to be in a separate container or can the guns be loaded?

Can I travel to Pennsylvania with Virginia registration and permit?

As I said, I know nothing about guns, and sorry in advance if these are dumb questions. I can't wait to take these to a range. :)

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy  
Bisjac
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer M400
Sig Sauer 1911 Max

Re: I don't know anything about guns!!

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:18:42

Bisjac wrote:So I finally decided order 2 guns today. A Sig Sauer 1911 and a M400. I've only shot a gun in boot camp, and that was 6 years ago.

Welcome to the forum! Glad you're here and congrats on the purchases.

Quick heads-up... I am a hug fan of SIG Arms. They are by far my favorite brand of weapon... However, there are a few models that have a reputation for failure. Unfortunately, their 1911's are one of those weapons. Not saying your specific one will be, but I would look at the SIG forum and read about it a bit.

The M400 is an awesome rifle. Especially for the price point. I'm sure you will love it. They are an addiction. LOL

Bisjac wrote:I've Googled the VA gun laws, but it seems to be in Spanish, and I hate reading. I was hoping someone could dumb it down for me lol.

Will I receive registration for the guns when I pick them up in a few days?

With extremely limited exception, firearms registration is not required either federally or in the state of Virginia with regard to private ownership. There is nothing for you to do or expect. You will have to do a background check before the FFL (aka dealer) can transfer the weapons to you.

Bisjac wrote:Do I need anything to transport these guns in my car throughout Virginia? I know for Pistols it just has to be hidden in a container, but what about Semi-Auto Rifles?

They don't have to be hidden. The have to be secured or wrapped (in a towel, cloth, blanket, etc.), unloaded and separate from the ammo. Pistols don't have to be unloaded. Only rifles, shotguns, etc..

Bisjac wrote:Do the clips have to be in a separate container or can the guns be loaded?

Clips and magazines do not have to be stored/transported separately from the rifle or shotgun, but the ammunition must be separate.

Bisjac wrote:Can I travel to Pennsylvania with Virginia registration and permit?

Following Federal and State Firearms Transportation laws, you can transport your weapon in every state in the country and the District of Columbia, assuming you are actually traveling from a state you can legally own and posses to a state you can legally own and posses.

If you obtain a VA State Issued resident Concealed Handgun Permit, we do currently have a reciprocity agreement with PA so you can conceal carry there. PA is also a "Right to Carry" State. You can carry your weapon openly in rural and suburbs, but in a "city of the first class" a permit is required. If you plan on openly carrying a gun, I would get clarity on what is defined as "city of the first class".

Bisjac wrote:As I said, I know nothing about guns, and sorry in advance if these are dumb questions. I can't wait to take these to a range. :)

No such thing as a dumb question. We all need to learn somewhere... somehow.

I would strongly recommend talking to Jim (ProShooter) about getting some training. His classes will answer a ton of questions for you!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Bisjac » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:33:52

Thank you very much!! Very helpful, and easy to understand, haha. Much appreciated. Will look up Jim. :D

Bisjac
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer M400
Sig Sauer 1911 Max

Postby Bisjac » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:35:36

Also, I just remembered the 1911 is a Para Ordnance, so hopefully those don't fail as much. I wanted it for the double stack. :P

Bisjac
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer M400
Sig Sauer 1911 Max

Postby Ironbear » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:41:46

Most new handguns come with a case and if your rifle doesn't, I would recommend that you spend the few bucks to get one. They don't cost much and most ranges don't allow uncased firearms except on the firing line.

I second the training. Decent training is well worth it.
My grandfather said, "Always use your head!".
I told him, "I want to pound nails!"
He said, "Best use a hammer instead."

Ironbear
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Bisjac » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 19:46:42

Thank you! Will do!

Bisjac
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

My Arsenal:
Sig Sauer M400
Sig Sauer 1911 Max

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 21:37:46

Para Ordnance make great 1911's. You will be pleased.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby OleMan » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 21:44:47

"Can I travel to Pennsylvania with Virginia registration and permit?"

Hard to get to Pennsylvania without going through D. C or Maryland, and both of those places, along with New Jersey, have such restrictive gun laws, that you would most likely be charged with a felony. They are almost the opposite of Virginia and Pennsylvania with respect to gun laws.
I Love This Country! It's The Government That Scares The Hell Outta Me!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
OleMan
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Oleman

My Arsenal:
Somewhat modest, but highly effective

Next Firearm:
What I decide when I decide

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 22:19:05

I use 81 whenever I need to take firearms to PA. Less than 10 miles in Maryland. Reduced exposure.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby ProShooter » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 22:24:22

Bisjac wrote:Thank you very much!! Very helpful, and easy to understand, haha. Much appreciated. Will look up Jim. :D

Ooohh,I'm sure he's around here somewhere.......

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby MarcSpaz » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 22:34:29

There he is! What incredible irony! :hysterical:

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby ProShooter » Mon, 16 Nov 2015 23:04:45

MarcSpaz wrote:There he is! What incredible irony! :hysterical:

Who?

What?

Where?

Me?

Who?

http://www.ProactiveShooters.com

NRA Certified Instructor
Utah State Certified Instructor
NRA Membership Recruiter
NRA RTBAV Instructor
NRA Chief RSO

"Make your gun go to work, and carry every day!"

ProShooter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost it all in a tragic boating accident.

Postby jdonovan » Tue, 17 Nov 2015 14:05:47

Bisjac wrote:Can I travel to Pennsylvania with Virginia registration and permit?

Getting from VA to PA without MD is problematic...

As others have noted there are federal laws that protect the firearm while its in transit from where you can own/posses to another place you can own/posses. This law does not however apply to the accessories, like magazines.

So you certainly have a problem with your 30 round magazines for the m400 in MD. As far as I know there is no way for you to personally transport them through MD, and remain legal.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 17 Nov 2015 14:58:10

If you are visiting friends or family in PA, mail them the offending magazines. Obtain magazines that are legal in MD, and travel with those. If none are available, carry that pistol without mags, and carry a different gun that accepts MD friendly mags.

That way, when you get where you are going, you can carry your preferred weapon, you'll remain armed, and you'll be legal as you travel through MD.

And, yes, I am fully aware of the inconvenience of this plan, but I am pretty sure that it's cheaper and less inconvenient than legal problems in Communist Maryland.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby RO73 » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 08:52:35

Possession of 30 round mags is not illegal in Maryland. The purchase and transfer of 30 round mags in MD is. Marylanders can go to neighboring states and purchase "high capacity" mags and bring them back. Silly law I know, but I just want to make sure the OP knows that he is fine traveling to or through MD with them.

One more thing, do not carry a gun (loaded or unloaded) while traveling through MD. You will be thrown in Jail. Guns must be unloaded and in a case/bag and out of reach.

I lived in MD for 10 years and that state is not at all gun friendly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Proud supporter of the NRA, SAF, VCDL, & MSI

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
RO73
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: RO73

My Arsenal:
What Arsenal????

Next Firearm:
Depends on my mood.

Postby AlanM » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 12:43:11

Speaking of Maryland:
New Baltimore top cop wants state law changed.

He wants gun misdemeanors changed to felonies.
AlanM
There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men. - RAH
Four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, ammo - use in that order.
If you aren't part of the solution, then you obviously weren't properly dissolved.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
AlanM
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Alan

My Arsenal:
My EDC works quite well.

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 18 Nov 2015 13:57:28

So, this guy is just flat out stupid... or he's a liar. Either way, he should not be in his position.

Davis says he considers some of the state's gun laws too lax, far less stringent than federal statutes.

The US Federal statues don't regulate the carrying of a firearm, open or otherwise. In fact, there is only one federal law (not a regulation) about an individual carrying a firearm... and that law says the people's Right shall not be infringed.

The carrying, transportation or wearing of an illegal firearm in our state is still a misdemeanor

Yea, guess what... a first offense is a misdemeanor, but a second offense (or more) are felonies... just like in VA and many other states.

AND... I thought wearing and carrying a firearm are the same thing... for all intents and purposes.

Also, there is no such thing as an illegal firearms. There is illegal possession.

People like this get me pretty PO'ed.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby kelu » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:57:57

Marc, care to elaborate for us less knowledgeable which Sigs are good and which are not? Thanks!
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Thu, 19 Nov 2015 13:57:28

I'm over on SIG Talk daily... there are a few SIG Arms folks on there and a ton of die-hard SIG fans. Its a great site for brand specific info when it come to reliability, mods, break/fix, R&R, etc.

The current (not discontinued) weapons I have been reading about that have been a huge PITA are any one of the 41 variations of the 1911, the Gen 1 MCX and Gen 1 MPX. The P320 seems iffy. The Legion 226 and 229 are too new to get any real feedback yet.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby casadomi » Sun, 14 Feb 2016 00:04:03

My Sig 1911 has been problem free for more than two years now. Its my older son and his friends favorite shooter in fact. I thought she would be a safe queen but she has been anything but that. Even my small-handed wife asks to shoot it. No FTF, FTE, or problems at all. The 1911 is a platform SIG kept true to its original design and it being over 100 years old now...problems?

I also have an M11-A1 as an EDC and again, zero issues (unless you consider everyone seeing it wanting to shoot her a problem). I say, bring your own ammo, and have at it. I am planning on getting an MPX soon...the sages on sigtalk.com say they again kept the same platform (AR) only tweaked it with some improvements.

SIG is a great firearm...a little more than others but worth it in my opinion.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
casadomi
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Return to Carrying Your Firearm