Carrying in your car...

Open Carry and Concealed Carry. Where did you carry today?

Re: Carrying in your car...

Postby hemifan87 » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 19:04:27

well were should I put it to be safe if I have someone with me? I put it on the front pass seat when no one is with me I was told that or the dash is ok by a chesepeake and a va beach officer. im still new to the carrying part and like I said I want to avoid trouble as much as i can.

hemifan87
On Target
On Target

First Name: Ronald

My Arsenal:
Hi-Point C9 9mm
Taurus PT 24/7 PRO DS 45 cal
Marlin single shot 12g

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 19:27:11

The front passenger seat is always a good choice. The dash poses a problem since the gun could go flying if you make a quick move in traffic, or worse, get in an accident.

If you are 21 y/o, get your CHP. If your not old enough yet, then the front or back seat back be the best option if you want it to be truly in plain view.

There are many opinions on what the definition of open carry is when in a vehicle. The one that counts is the opinion of the police officer. At least until you get into a court of law. My opinion is that you try to avoid that particular scenario.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Jay

My Arsenal:
I have no idea what you're talking about

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby wally626 » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 20:31:21

hemifan87 wrote:would this be considerd concealed or is this ok just wondering I dont have a concealed perment yet and didnt want truble if i got pulled over

I think you need a smaller gun for that spot. Yes, I think a police officer would consider it concealed, at least enough that you may have to explain why it isn't to a judge. Open carry is still legal if there is no place to secure the weapon.

wally626
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Wally

My Arsenal:
Glock 22

Postby hemifan87 » Mon, 06 Dec 2010 21:45:31

"OakRidgeStars" If you are 21 y/o, get your CHP

I plan on getting it as soon as I get the extra money(after the new year) thanks for the advice guys

hemifan87
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
Hi-Point C9 9mm
Marlin single shot 12g

Postby shadva » Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:17:58

I have my CHP and drive around with a loaded revolver locked in a under-seat lockbox. Is this legal? I believe it is, just wanted to run it by someone..

shadva
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby OakRidgeStars » Thu, 09 Dec 2010 13:34:28

Yes sir. Nothing wrong with that all.

And, Welcome to VGOF :welcome: :wave:
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin

Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby SigmaShooter » Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:01:00

OakRidgeStars wrote:The front passenger seat is always a good choice. The dash poses a problem since the gun could go flying if you make a quick move in traffic, or worse, get in an accident.

If you are 21 y/o, get your CHP. If your not old enough yet, then the front or back seat back be the best option if you want it to be truly in plain view.

There are many opinions on what the definition of open carry is when in a vehicle. The one that counts is the opinion of the police officer. At least until you get into a court of law. My opinion is that you try to avoid that particular scenario.

I drive a convertible, passenger seat is too vulnerable for my liking with the top down. And the way I take turns, my piece would fly off the dash and onto the sidewalk, Once my permit arrives, it'll be OK in the center console, but until then, what? :doh:
I don't WANT to yell at the TV, but the mainstream Liberal Media MAKES ME !!!

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SigmaShooter
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Ken

My Arsenal:
is not growing fast enough...

Next Firearm:
Star Trek Phaser

Postby Daholt757 » Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:05:33

SigmaShooter wrote:I drive a convertible, passenger seat is too vulnerable for my liking with the top down. And the way I take turns, my piece would fly off the dash and onto the sidewalk, Once my permit arrives, it'll be OK in the center console, but until then, what? :doh:

you can already legally have it in the console...or the glovebox...or any other compartment your car may have. Its just has to be in a different compartment than you. No permit needed unless you want to actually have it in a holster strapped on you while driving
THE TWO LOUDEST SOUNDS YOU'LL EVER HERE ARE... A BANG WHEN YOU EXPECT A CLICK...OR A CLICK WHEN YOU EXPECT A BANG

Daholt757
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: David

My Arsenal:
Ruger P95dc 9mm
Sig Sauer P250c .40 S&W

Next Firearm:
Arsenal SGL 21

Postby OakRidgeStars » Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:07:22

Attach a holster to the seat belt on the passenger seat and carry in that. As long as it's visible you shouldn't have any issues with Johnny Law.

For that matter, you could attach a holster anywhere in the car as long as it's visible.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby hemifan87 » Sat, 11 Dec 2010 03:42:39

OakRidgeStars wrote:For that matter, you could attach a holster anywhere in the car as long as it's visible.

i was just told that it cant be in a holster in the car. iwas told you have to be able to see 100% of the gun in the car. i was told this by one of the guys at supereor gun

hemifan87
On Target
On Target

My Arsenal:
Hi-Point C9 9mm
Marlin single shot 12g

Postby gunderwood » Sat, 11 Dec 2010 08:49:45

hemifan87 wrote:
OakRidgeStars wrote:For that matter, you could attach a holster anywhere in the car as long as it's visible.

i was just told that it cant be in a holster in the car. iwas told you have to be able to see 100% of the gun in the car. i was told this by one of the guys at supereor gun

The law is vague and different officers interpret it differently. I had a friend get arrested for having it 100% in view on the passenger seat. Go figure. However, like my friend, I don't know of anyone who actually was convicted of any wrong doing for OCing in of itself. The law says common observation which you can expect to argue over in court (if it ever makes it that far).

If you don't tell the officer that you are carrying, how can they know you are carrying unless it is commonly observable?

The 100% in view is not what the law says. That is how some people wish to roll because they believe there is less risk.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby Kuda » Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:25:02

I have a CHP. However, when driving it is more comfortable and accessible for me to drive with my sidearm in the door "map" pocket.

Is this no longer concealed carry for it is not on my person?
Is this a legal way to transport my loaded weapon?

Thanks
PGK
Alexandria, VA

Kuda
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Kuda

Postby OakRidgeStars » Sun, 12 Dec 2010 16:44:59

The handgun doesn't have to be on your person to be concealed. It can be in the console, door pocket or under the seat. It's all good. All you need is to have your CHP and valid ID with you.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:
Something scary...

Postby Kuda » Sun, 12 Dec 2010 20:45:27

Thanks!
PGK
Alexandria, VA

Kuda
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Kuda

Postby Daholt757 » Mon, 13 Dec 2010 01:08:44

it doesn't have to be visible at all if you put it in the glove box or center console. the law changed from what it used to be. It just has to be in a separate compartment.

"As of July 1, 2010, a concealed handgun permit is not necessary when carrying a handgun while in a personal, private motor vehicle or vessel and such handgun is secured in a container or compartment in the vehicle or vessel."

quoted directly off of the state police website
http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Firearms_Transporting.shtm
THE TWO LOUDEST SOUNDS YOU'LL EVER HERE ARE... A BANG WHEN YOU EXPECT A CLICK...OR A CLICK WHEN YOU EXPECT A BANG

Daholt757
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: David

My Arsenal:
Ruger P95dc 9mm
Sig Sauer P250c .40 S&W

Next Firearm:
Arsenal SGL 21

Postby smoke » Thu, 23 Dec 2010 20:06:47

chfaunce wrote:
FordTek wrote:Here's a twist. My understanding is you can carry concealed in a federal park if you have a chp. What about carrying in your car without a CHP. If I drive through a federal park, like skyline drive, am I still legal?

Is open carry legal in National Parks? I don't recall. If it IS legal, I'd recommend just leaving the handgun in open sight on your passenger's seat. If it is NOT legal to open carry in a National Park (again, I simply can't remember right now), I'd say to either obtain a CHP or keep your bang stick in a locked compartment / container in your trunk.

I was up on Skyline this past weekend and I CC'ed. I plan to return again this coming weekend - (off topic) the news led me to believe that peak colors were occurring last weekend, but I question that. Looked to be *maybe* in the 50-60% peak range - certainly not the 80% they'd claimed.

Firearms are not allowed on Federal/State Parks/Forests during non-hunting seasons. If you have a CHP, then you are allowed to carry during non-hunting seasons. However, during hunting season, open carry is lawful. You can find this information on the VA Department of Game and Inland Fisheries website. From my understanding, hunting season is from first day of bow season (deer) (late September) until end spring gobbler season (early March). This law went into effect June, 2010 (mainly to please other users of park and forest land (hikers, mountain bikers, and tree huggers)).

smoke
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Tyler

My Arsenal:
Huh?

Postby SigmaShooter » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 15:54:24

Heard on the radio this morning that in response to AZ shootings, VA is proposing a ban on guns on state parks.
-Didn't we JUST GET the right to carry on state parks about a month ago???
:tommygun:
I don't WANT to yell at the TV, but the mainstream Liberal Media MAKES ME !!!

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
SigmaShooter
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Ken

My Arsenal:
is not growing fast enough...

Next Firearm:
Star Trek Phaser

Postby VBshooter » Thu, 20 Jan 2011 17:31:58

A very very short while ago courtesy of the governor and his gun owner supporting ways....

http://vagunforum.net/virginia-laws/governor-mcdonnell-approves-lawful-carry-state-forests-t7457.html
Image "Not to worry, I got this !!! " "Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Captain John Parker

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
VBshooter
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Spence

Next Firearm:
H&K Sig or an AK47/74

Postby gtommec » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 07:09:27

Daholt757 wrote:you can already legally have it in the console...or the glovebox...or any other compartment your car may have. Its just has to be in a different compartment than you. No permit needed unless you want to actually have it in a holster strapped on you while driving

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but am I reading this right? Is having my gun holstered on my side considered concealed while I am in my car?

gtommec
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

First Name: Tomme

My Arsenal:
KAHR CW9
Bryco Jennings Nine
Stevens Mo. 62

Next Firearm:
Ruger LCP

Postby TenchCoxe » Mon, 28 Nov 2011 11:59:08

gtommec wrote:Sorry to bring up an old thread, but am I reading this right? Is having my gun holstered on my side considered concealed while I am in my car?

If it is "hidden from common observation," then yes. The general idea is if someone looking at you would not be able to see that you have a gun on your hip, then it would be concealed.

For example, there was a case several years ago in which a cop stopped a guy walking down the street, carrying a backpack. It turned out the guy had a gun in his hip pocket - but the backpack had covered it up, so the cop couldn't see it until he moved the backpack away. The gun was "hidden from common observation" and therefore was concealed.

If you have a CHP, it doesn't matter - that's the whole point of a CHP - it allows you to conceal a handgun.

But if you don't have a CHP, you generally can't carry a handgun concealed, even in your car - other than the exception discussed above, which allows you to conceal a gun "secured in a compartment or container" in the vehicle.
"[The swords of the militia], and every terrible implement of the soldier, are the birthright of an American."

TenchCoxe
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Not as many as I would like.

PreviousNext

ads

Return to Carrying Your Firearm