SOG Knives Trident Partially Serrated Black TiNiTrident Partially Serrated Black TiNi
SOG Knives
    SOG Knives Trident Mini-Partially Serr-Black TiNi-CPTrident Mini-Partially Serr-Black TiNi-CP
SOG Knives
    SOG Knives Trident Mini - Clam PackTrident Mini - Clam Pack
SOG Knives

BACKPACKING: How to carry

Open Carry and Concealed Carry. Where did you carry today?

BACKPACKING: How to carry

Postby seanc » Mon, 06 Feb 2012 14:15:04

ALL,

So I'm an avid fly fisher and backpacker and I've run into the problem of how to carry my sidearm with my backpack/fishing gear. When I wear a hop holster my backpack covers the handle of my sidearm, which prevents quick deployment and forces the handle to grind into my hip/kidneys, an unpleasant feeling after several miles.

I've been thinking about open carrying with a leg drop holster, but I've never seen that done for backpacking and I'd like to know how comfortable that method is for an extended time. Also if there are any legal issues with this method? or open carrying in general while in national forests that I should be aware of.

So if anyone has any tips or experience in this arena I would appreciate some feedback.

Thanks!

seanc
Sighting In
Sighting In

Re: BACKPACKING: How to carry

Postby dragonzfury050 » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 08:57:45

I actually do a fair amount of camping and hiking and had been searching for a comfortable carry solution. I am waiting on the delivery of a drop leg holster as I believe that it keeps your sidearm within reach or when you need it and out of the way of the rest of your gear. I can't speak to how comfortable it is yet, but I think it is the most practical.

The other option I was considering was a shoulder rig the places the holster near to the center of your chest. Hickok45 has one like that for one of his revolvers if you want to head over to youtube to see what I mean
"We must reject the idea that every time a law is broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions."
-Ronald Reagan

dragonzfury050
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Byron

Postby SHMIV » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 09:52:27

I'm not sure what type of back pack you've got, but if you have a standard pack, like what one carries to school, you could simply move your holster to a different location on your waist.

If you have the type of pack that has the belt, you could possibly attach your holster to either the belt of the pack or a shoulder strap.

I really know nothing of fly fishing, but have always been under the impression that it involves standing in water; a holster worn below the waist may not be the most suitable for that sort of activity.

I suppose that the weight of your particular gun may also have some bearing on the most comfortable place for it, too. If you carry a revolver, I haven't had any luck in finding a drop leg holster for one.
"God Almighty created simplicity. Complexity, inspired by the Great Deceiver, tends to be the province of men. " S. H. M., IV

I'm an American-American

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby horseman308 » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 20:53:56

I have also had this question. For me, there was also the issue of not freaking out other hikers. Yeah, I know - it's their problem if they don't like it, but I don't wish to have unpleasantness on my trip because others hassle me. So, I came across this:

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinna ... t=171&pg=1

You can carry it many places, such as attached to the hip-belt of your pack, and no one will know. It also keeps your side-arm protected from weather and other kinds of damage.

horseman308
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby sigster » Tue, 07 Feb 2012 21:33:25

Friend of mine says he hangs a 4" 629 right across his chest when he's hunting in bear country. Easy to get to and fairly easy to conceal

sigster
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Bobby

My Arsenal:
pointy stick and a big rock

Postby binabink » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 11:00:38

I've found this to work pretty well. I was looking for something that I could carry on my body while hiking, biking, etc.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Undergear-Shirts/Holster-Shirt.html

binabink
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 18:44:17

binabink wrote:I've found this to work pretty well. I was looking for something that I could carry on my body while hiking, biking, etc.

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Shirts/Undergear-Shirts/Holster-Shirt.html

This doesn't conflict with the shoulder straps of a backpack?
"God Almighty created simplicity. Complexity, inspired by the Great Deceiver, tends to be the province of men. " S. H. M., IV

I'm an American-American

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby binabink » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:09:11

SHMIV wrote:This doesn't conflict with the shoulder straps of a backpack?

Surprisingly, no. At least, I haven't found it too. The pocket opening is forward enough that it can be accessed fairly easily. I don't know if it's because of the padding, but I've never felt like the pistol was digging into my side.

binabink
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 08 Feb 2012 19:38:49

binabink wrote:
SHMIV wrote:This doesn't conflict with the shoulder straps of a backpack?

Surprisingly, no. At least, I haven't found it too. The pocket opening is forward enough that it can be accessed fairly easily. I don't know if it's because of the padding, but I've never felt like the pistol was digging into my side.

Well, how about that. I would have thought that it would have, and therefore, looked over it. Good to know that this a viable option.

I'm an American-American

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby ratherfish » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 16:26:54

I use a chesty puller conversion when carrying large in bear country. It's high above the waders and surprisingly works well with a back pack!

http://www.simplyrugged.com/chesty-pull ... on-system/
There are only two kinds of people in the end: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, in the end, 'Thy will be done.'
-C. S. Lewis

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
ratherfish
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Will do for now

Postby gunderwood » Thu, 09 Feb 2012 22:41:58

I've put mine in a none gunshaped pouch and attached that to the waist belt.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby MrPeanut » Mon, 13 Feb 2012 17:23:03

Check out Bianchi's military line. My backpack's waist belt has a strap on it that allows me to attach the Bianchi UM84R holster, and it's perfect for carrying my GP100. There's also a hip extender option available from Bianchi as well that would allow the drop leg configuration that you mentioned.

MrPeanut
Sighting In
Sighting In

First Name: Eric

My Arsenal:
SIG P229R (9mm and .22lr)
Bersa Thunder .380
Mossberg 500A
Ruger GP100
S&W 642
Kimber Super Carry Pro

Next Firearm:
AR-15

Postby milspecnsn » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 14:13:02

horseman308 wrote:I have also had this question. For me, there was also the issue of not freaking out other hikers. Yeah, I know - it's their problem if they don't like it, but I don't wish to have unpleasantness on my trip because others hassle me. So, I came across this:

You can carry it many places, such as attached to the hip-belt of your pack, and no one will know. It also keeps your side-arm protected from weather and other kinds of damage.

+1 on this. Rides nicely on my pack's waistbelt and looks very discreet but pistol can still be presented reasonably fast. Can be transferred easily to my regular belt when pack isn't being used. Good product.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
milspecnsn
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: John

Postby gunderwood » Tue, 14 Feb 2012 21:12:52

milspecnsn wrote:
horseman308 wrote:I have also had this question. For me, there was also the issue of not freaking out other hikers. Yeah, I know - it's their problem if they don't like it, but I don't wish to have unpleasantness on my trip because others hassle me. So, I came across this:

+1 on this. Rides nicely on my pack's waistbelt and looks very discreet but pistol can still be presented reasonably fast. Can be transferred easily to my regular belt when pack isn't being used. Good product.

I have not used that when I've attached mine to the waistbelt, but similar concept. Thanks for posting the product, I'll probably pick on up...hmmm, where is the Desert Eagle sized pouch? :hysterical:

Edit: Their motto sounds like I created it! "Overkill never fails"
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby UpAllNightDude » Wed, 22 Feb 2012 17:55:23

As far as drop leg holsters go, I've carried a Beretta M9 in a few different drop legs. With all of them other than the Blackhawk Serpa dropleg platform, there was an issue with the weight of the gun pulling the holster and belt down making the whole rig uncomfortable.

Good luck!

UpAllNightDude
On Target
On Target

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
Stag AR-15
RIA 1911 Compact
Mossberg 500 Bullpup
Beretta CX4 40S&W
STI Rogue
Ruger 10/22
Marlin Model 60
Browning .25 ACP
Saiga 12
FNP 45 Tactical
Springfield Armory XD .40

Postby Roverhound » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 09:43:17

seanc wrote:ALL,

I've been thinking about open carrying with a leg drop holster, but I've never seen that done for backpacking and I'd like to know how comfortable that method is for an extended time. Also if there are any legal issues with this method? or open carrying in general while in national forests that I should be aware of.

Just be aware that to carry in the National Forests outside of hunting season you will need a ccp. I also do a lot of fly fishing but most of my time is spent fishing for natives (catch and release only of course) on smaller streams wearing hip waders. I wear a Wilderness belt and carry on my on my hip rotated toward the back.
I still haven't really determined if I have to carry concealed but I have never been hassled about it before. I figure my vest covers it enough.

Roverhound
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Walter

My Arsenal:
Bersa Thuder UC 40 Pro
Hi-Standard Military HD
Beretta M9
A few more...

Postby derek141 » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 10:58:39

Roverhound wrote:
seanc wrote:ALL,

Just be aware that to carry in the National Forests outside of hunting season you will need a ccp. I also do a lot of fly fishing but most of my time is spent fishing for natives (catch and release only of course) on smaller streams wearing hip waders. I wear a Wilderness belt and carry on my on my hip rotated toward the back.
I still haven't really determined if I have to carry concealed but I have never been hassled about it before. I figure my vest covers it enough.

What is the legal basis for this claim? I OC'd for years without event in the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest (Lake Tahoe), Nevada. Further, I routinely spend time in the GW&J. If there is something I don't know, please do tell.

derek141
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Derek

Postby Roverhound » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 20:47:04

derek141 wrote:

What is the legal basis for this claim? I OC'd for years without event in the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest (Lake Tahoe), Nevada. Further, I routinely spend time in the GW&J. If there is something I don't know, please do tell.

This pertains to State Forest,
4VAC10-30-170. Explosives, fires firearms, etc.
No person shall bring into or have in any forest any explosive or explosive substance, except commercial sporting firearms ammunition; explosives, explosive substances and firearms of all types are prohibited in any portion of a forest assigned to the Department of Forestry, for administration as a recreational area. This regulation shall not apply to the carrying of concealed handguns within state forests by holders of a valid concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to ยง 18.2-308 of the Code of Virginia.
And these to the National Forests.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/re ... #legal-use

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/hunting/re ... clands.asp

I told.

Roverhound
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
Bersa Thuder UC 40 Pro
Hi-Standard Military HD
Beretta M9
A few more...

Postby drewlwsn » Wed, 21 Mar 2012 22:38:21

Is it legal to hike with a marlin 336 for example if you aren't hunting or can you only carry handguns?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

drewlwsn
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Drew

My Arsenal:
S&W M&P 15, S&W M&P 15-22, S&W M&P40, Mossberg 500, Mossberg 702, Ruger SR9c, Kel Tec P3AT, Walther P22, IO Inc AK-47, Marlin 336

Next Firearm:
Glock 19

Postby Roverhound » Thu, 22 Mar 2012 08:59:17

drewlwsn wrote:Is it legal to hike with a marlin 336 for example if you aren't hunting or can you only carry handguns?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

I believe the gist of it is that it should be concealed.

Roverhound
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
Bersa Thuder UC 40 Pro
Hi-Standard Military HD
Beretta M9
A few more...

Next

ads

Return to Carrying Your Firearm