Advice on the reverse of the normal issues

Open Carry and Concealed Carry. Where did you carry today?

Advice on the reverse of the normal issues

Postby pk1 » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 01:22:14

Being a recent transplant to VA I was (very temporarily) pleasantly surprised while walking my dogs seeing someone openly carrying a M1911. He too was walking a dog, walking in my direction and around ~20ft. away from me as we got closer I saw him reach down and unclip his holster very obviously as a reaction to me and my dogs.

I was taken aback and asked him if he had just done that to which he responded that it was about his not knowing my dogs and what they were going to do. I explained that they are friendly(they had done nothing, just ignored him and his dog), and then he became belligerent. His thinly veiled threat didn't make a lot of sense considering the situation ; "Do yourself a favor and you turn around and just keep walking" was one phrase he used. So much for meeting people in my new neighborhood.

From a legal perspective I can't help but wonder if putting his hand on his gun to unclip it constitutes brandishing. I wonder how a LEO in my position would have dealt with it. I can imagine that it might have been enough for a LEO to draw on him.

Anyway, so now I'm a little at a loss as to how to handle him. I've never run into anyone who was openly or concealed carrying which didn't attempt to be pleasant. For a variety of reasons I don't think that if I too was carrying it would have helped. Going through Law Enforcement seems like it wouldn't accomplish much unless they are right there when something happens.

I can't help but feel like I'm likely to run into him again when walking my dogs and short of just going to the other side of the street, but I also don't want to feel like I can't walk around in my own neighborhood because someone don't know how to exercise their 2nd amendment rights in an appropriate manner. I'm trying to figure out what else I could or should do. It's been bugging me but I've come up with nothing. Has anyone else had to handle other gun owners they don't know in this sort of situation?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
pk1
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Re: Advice on the reverse of the normal issues

Postby SHMIV » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 02:42:34

Welcome to Virginia.

I'm sorry to hear that your new neighbor is a tool. I'm also disheartened to hear of such a poor ambassador to the gun owning community.

Yeah, that sounds like brandishing to me.

Rest assured that most folks in the Commonwealth are much more pleasant.

My suggestion? Be pleasant to the man, whenever you see him. Greet him warmly, and wish him a pleasant day.

By the way, you can OC, too. (Assuming, of course, that you are legally able to own firearms. )

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
"Send lawyers, guns, and money; the $#!t has hit the fan!" - Warren Zevon

SHMIV
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: H

My Arsenal:
A big ol' tank of a Cadillac and a right foot made of lead.

Next Firearm:
The one that appears at the right time and location.

Postby FiremanBob » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 06:58:20

Yes, he was brandishing. Additionally, I think his threatening words to you constituted assault.
Author of The 10/22 Companion: How to Operate, Troubleshoot, Maintain and Improve Your Ruger 10/22
1022Companion.com
Project Appleseed Instructor

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Oath Keepers (OK) Member  
FiremanBob
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Bob

Postby pk1 » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 07:53:02

Thanks for the confirmation of my thoughts, and yes I do own a number of guns and am (now) aware of the OC legal status of VA, but another factor in my situation is that this is really close to an elementary school. Having an open field right next to me is great for my dogs, but its school property. I normally include walking through that area and letting my dogs' leashes out so they can play. This incident happened on a street nearby but not on school property. There really aren't other areas where they can play like that(except in my yard, but this is a gun forum, not a dog forum).

To be honest, I haven't had the most welcoming time in VA, I was stopped twice in the first 3 days of having a VA driver's license, and one was a really dubious road block. As much as I disliked MD with their anti-CCW stance and new restrictions, I was never stopped by the MD police, the DMV was not a bad experience, and somehow people were more friendly if you were out walking.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
pk1
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby kelu » Wed, 02 Apr 2014 09:21:51

Looks like you chose the wrong place of Virginia.
Who knows, it may be a LEO with their habit of shooting dogs...
You may tickle the fool ego by asking what is he carrying and some firearm advice. Make him feel important and benevolent. :hi:
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party - Mao Tse Tung

kelu
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby screwedbygoogle » Sat, 25 Jul 2015 18:05:35

You new friend is a dumb a..

For using a holster with a clip.

I am not a curmudgeon, I am THE Curmudgeon!

screwedbygoogle
On Target
On Target

Postby Mindflayer » Sat, 25 Jul 2015 18:59:50

Arlington?

Borrow someone's GoPro. Be friendly to him as suggested, but if he's still a jerk and touches his firearm, you have video proof. Don't confront.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Postby MarcSpaz » Sat, 25 Jul 2015 22:57:02

Man, I am really shocked you are having such a negative experience in VA. Like someone mentioned above, if you are in Northern VA, its like being in MD, but worse. Maybe you just need to come a bit further south and/or west.

The guys gave you good advise. You shouldn't be. Afraid to walk in your own neighborhood because of a bully. Carry to defend yourself, but don't start a confrontation. Video record any interaction. Far as I can tell, the guy is a coward and makes up for it with Napoleon Syndrome. That makes him very dangerous. So, please be careful.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Return to Carrying Your Firearm