7.62x39 AR build or complete rifle purchase

Big Bore and "Assault" Rifle discussions - If you don;t know why "Assault" is in quotes, then read on...

7.62x39 AR build or complete rifle purchase

Postby OakRidgeStars » Mon, 09 Nov 2015 21:06:48

I know, I know... I'm about to commit the cardinal sin of AR frankenrifle sacrilege. So feel free to tell me how much AK ammunition sucks and has no place in a real 'Murican gun. :roll:

With that being said, I'm looking for recommendations on a complete AR in 7.62x39 that accepts AK magazines. The only one I've looked at so far is RRA's LAR-47, which seems to fit the bill but the reviews are mixed. I'm not looking for the cheapest rifle, but not a high end one either. So a good, reliable mid-range should do.

Any feedback (and flames) are always welcome. :machinegun:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: ORS

Re: 7.62x39 AR build or complete rifle purchase

Postby M1A4ME » Tue, 10 Nov 2015 08:21:49

It's not the ammo, it's the rifle.

I have a couple of rifles that shoot "Russian" ammo.

My 5.45X39 M&P AR15 is as accurate as any other AR15 carbine I own. It shoots 2 MOA groups out to 300 yds. anyway. Haven't shot it farther.

I have a SIG 556R and I shoot Russian ammo in it, too. It seems to like Wolf best. I know a guy with an AK47 and his rifle likes Tula best. Just like any other rifles, try different brands/bullet type and see what works best in yours.

Sticking with a rifle that uses AK mags. is probably a good idea. The only company I know of that makes magazines for 7.62X39 ammo for ARs I would not buy from. I bought AR15 magazines from CProducts a few years ago and have had issues with about 30% of them. Feeding issues. Zero response from the company even after repeatedly telling me (their rep. on another forum) to e-mail him for resolution of the problem. I will not buy their mags - so stick to AK mags. if you can.

Good luck with your search.

Oh, several companies are now making scopes/optics specially set up for the 7.62X39 cartridge if you intend to scope it.

M1A4ME
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 10 Nov 2015 18:44:37

I've hear that many people have not been happy with AR style rifles that fire 7.62x39. I'm not a purest, I just don't want to waste money trying to get a platform to cycle with a round that was never considered in the design of the platform.

That said, if you are going to do it, buying a complete rifle vs. building one is just like a buying v.s building a computer. I would only build a rifle (or computer) unless I have a specific task I want to accomplish and either I can't buy one already setup the way I want... or building a specialty weapon would be much more affordable compared to buying one. If you are looking for entry-level performance... just buy one.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Marc

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby OakRidgeStars » Tue, 10 Nov 2015 21:06:27

MarcSpaz wrote:I've hear that many people have not been happy with AR style rifles that fire 7.62x39. I'm not a purest, I just don't want to waste money trying to get a platform to cycle with a round that was never considered in the design of the platform.

That said, if you are going to do it, buying a complete rifle vs. building one is just like a buying v.s building a computer. I would only build a rifle (or computer) unless I have a specific task I want to accomplish and either I can't buy one already setup the way I want... or building a specialty weapon would be much more affordable compared to buying one. If you are looking for entry-level performance... just buy one.

I agree on both points, although I'm not sure that would prevent me from trying one any way. I would prefer to build one myself but being the AR n00b that I am, I think my first build should be a more traditional .223 / 5.56 rifle.

I don't know... with as many mouths to feed it would be nice if they all ate the same chow. :clap:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:38:27

I found this link while looking for helpful info for you...

http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/11/25/ma ... -reliably/

I think an 7.62x39 based AR would be more difficult to build than a traditional AR clone based on that read. If you haven't done one yet... may not want to start their.

There are 2 things I think a novice builder would have trouble with on a classic AR clone..

1.) Getting the gas block and gas tube installed correctly. You have to be sure the gas block is perfectly aligned with the hole in the barrel or you will have problems with the rifle cycling due to low gas pressure. Getting it aligned properly is the first step... pinning the block into place without it shifting in the process is a whole other challenge.

2.) Checking the headspace and timing is another critical process (IMHO). The headspace directly impacts the ability for the bolt to successfully and safely rotate and lock into the barrel. There should be no more that .002 of an inch of play or there will be too much slop. If you have negative headspace, the bolt wont spin all the way or may not spin at all, making your bolt timing unsafe for operation.

It is extremely rare to have headspace or timing issues, but if there is a failure, the explosion could kill the shooter. That is one of the main reasons why companies like SIG insist on replacing barrels, rather than allowing customers to do it. Also, SIG specifically makes match sets when it comes to the bolt and barrel extension, to allow perfect fitment for their new AR clones.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby jdonovan » Wed, 11 Nov 2015 07:40:15

OakRidgeStars wrote:I'm looking for recommendations on a complete AR in 7.62x39 that accepts AK magazines.

MGI makes a nice swappable mag well ar-15 lower.. been on my list for a while, but haven't picked one up. Have a cow-worker who has one and likes it.

not a ar, but I'm a HK guy so I've gotta plug the PTR-32. Its a HK-g3 clone that uses ak mags, and is 762x39. $900 ish here: https://www.atlanticfirearms.com/component/virtuemart/shipping-rifles/ptr-32-kfr-762-x-39-rifle-w-rail-detail.html?Itemid=0

I've bought from atlantic before, they are good to deal with.

Oh if you want to go the SBR route they also make it in a pistol form, that you can form-1 into a SBR.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby Lester » Thu, 12 Nov 2015 10:56:04

I picked up an AR47 upper from PSA for $349.00 and free shipping and a few mags about 2 months ago but have not got to shoot it yet. I am planning on trying it out on the 22nd. The reviews are mixed and as stated above the mags are hit and miss from what I see posted on the interweb. PSA still has it for the same price and free shipping now.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Lester
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Lester

My Arsenal:
A few.

Next Firearm:

Postby OakRidgeStars » Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:32:16

I have a pretty wide selection of AK47 mags that I can bring to the party. We'll find out what she runs best. :machinegun:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby grumpyMSG » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 12:19:07

By all means allow me to argue against building the rifle as you suggest. Why make your life difficult? If you want to shoot 7.62 X 39, why not just choose an SKS, an AK or one of the AK derivatives out there? Comparing the actual size of the round's case to the 5.56/.223 and you will see it is slightly larger in diameter.
Unfortunately the steel that will be removed from the bolt will be inside the area of the locking lugs. It weakens one of the high stress areas on the rifle. It also does it on the extractor. Now I'd love to claim I was the one to discover/ recognize this weakness, but someone before me found it and pointed it out. I'd give credit to who it was but that name was lost from my memory long ago.

When you are talking about magazines, the curvature of the AK's magazine comes from the taper on the cases, which happens to be different than the 5.56/.223 round. The AR's magazine is curved to match the taper on the 5.56/.223. If you want to optimize an AR for the AK round, it would definitely work better with a redesigned magazine well.
You just have to ask yourself, is he telling you the truth based on knowledge and experience or spreading internet myths?

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army  
grumpyMSG
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Greg

My Arsenal:
Several Classics, ARs and a few Pistols

Next Firearm:
It'll ask to come home with me...

Postby OakRidgeStars » Fri, 13 Nov 2015 13:00:53

The concept of a "AR47" rifle has always interested me. The ones I've seen are specifically built for the 7.62x39 round as well as existing AK magazines, which is exactly what I would be looking for.

I have many AK and SKS rifles, which are fine, but being able to utilize the 7.62x39 round in the AR platform as well has peaked my curiosity. If I can get a little trigger time with one of these rifles, I'll be better equipped to make an educated decision.

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:06:33

The search continues with Sig Sauer's 556xi Russian. This one looks promising, especially since the lower receiver can be swapped to accommodate 300 Blackout.

http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDetai ... ssian.aspx

Looks pretty cool as an SBR too :wub:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:18:10

Not gonna lie... looks good.

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby Snakester » Wed, 30 Dec 2015 19:39:55

That SBR does look really good and being a Sig makes it all the better. Those sights will make it a lot of fun to shoot too !

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
Snakester
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Randy

My Arsenal:
I don't own any FireArms...Just here for "The Bonding"

Next Firearm:
No Plans to Purchase at this time!

Postby OakRidgeStars » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 14:34:09

I know the suspense has been killing you guys as to which rifle I'm going to buy. :roll:

{drum roll, please}

Just picked up my new Sig556xi Russian (see gun pr0n two posts above) and it's freaking awesome. I'm going to take it down and clean out Sig's monkey grease, then re-lube and off to the range. The only thing I don't like is the el cheapo grip, so I'm putting a Hogue oversized rubber grip on instead.

It comes with a 30rd Tapco mag but I'll have to test a few others to see what works best. The steel suplus mags have a sloppy fit while the Tapco is pretty tight out of the box. We'll see.

And yes, I'm already making plans to pick up a 10" barrel so I can get ATF paperwork started. I gotta SBR this one. :wub:

OakRidgeStars
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby MarcSpaz » Wed, 09 Mar 2016 15:19:28

Nice! Those are really slick! Congrats!

MarcSpaz
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

My Arsenal:
Franks and Beans

Postby tangodown » Thu, 05 May 2016 06:35:20

If you are going to buy, spend the proper money on the CMMG Mutant, hands down the best prebuilt you can buy, reminder it is based off the AR10 more so than the AR15...... But I would say build it, so much more rewarding in the end. Not to mention the look the smug anti 7.62x39 AR purists get on their face when you tell them how you too the time to build it. So worth it

here is mine: post223209.html#p223209
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Postby tangodown » Thu, 05 May 2016 06:40:51

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
tangodown
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Brian

My Arsenal:
A lot

Next Firearm:
.338 maybe?

Postby confederate4ver1 » Tue, 22 Jan 2019 16:00:15

Build one out !!! If you have to buy one get a 6920

confederate4ver1
Sighting In
Sighting In

My Arsenal:
smith and wesson shield 45

ads

Return to Large Bore and "Assault" Rifles