GunVault MiniVault StandardMiniVault Standard
GunVault
    GunVault MultiVault StandardMultiVault Standard
GunVault
    GunVault DrawerVault StandardDrawerVault Standard
GunVault

Who generally has the best prices on handgun ammo in va?

Re: Who generally has the best prices on handgun ammo in va?

Postby BW1911 » Tue, 31 May 2011 07:41:16

www.ammoengine.com uses a web-bot to search many ammo sites and posts sorted prices for each handgun or rifle caliber online daily. I have found some excellent deals at Wideners.com, as well.

BW1911
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Mongo

Postby Reverenddel » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 09:43:52

If you watch sale papers? You can find good bargains sometimes at Greentop, Gander Mountain, and Dick's Sporting Goods.

I have NEVER found a decent price on ANYTHING at Bass Pro! There ammo, firearms, and camping gear are usually 10-20% higher than everyone's STARTING price!

Guess they have to pay for all that "luxury". :roll:

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:
Nothing, not a damnedable thing.

Next Firearm:

Postby meak99 » Wed, 01 Jun 2011 19:47:05

If you don't mind factory reloads, I've had good experiences with Georgia Arms purchased in bulk 500rd ammo cans from the gun shows.

meak99
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Matt

Postby TBob » Sat, 02 Jul 2011 15:06:06

I buy almost exclusively in bulk over the Net. I compare prices mostly at Sportsmansguide.com, cheaperthandirt.com, midwayusa.com, and ammoman.com. One of those four almost always has a great price on what I need. My last purchase was 1,000 rounds of Prvi Partisan FMJ .45ACP (w/reloadable brass cases) from ammoman.com.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them" -George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

TBob
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bob

My Arsenal:
Arsenal, what arsenal?

Next Firearm:
V-3 Hochdruckpumpe

Postby VAman » Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:55:26

Walmart also has the best ammo prices around here, but with the latest price increase I've started seeing common calibers like 9mm cheaper if you buy in bulk online. They are still the cheapest store around though.

VAman
Marksman
Marksman

Postby tacweapon » Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:45:31

I typically shoot PMC and an get 50 rounds of PMC for 12.99 locally which is close enough to walmart prices for me since its a better ammo for not much more money

tacweapon
On Target
On Target

First Name: Paul

Postby RugerJoe » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 00:20:10

Walmarts in my area always seems to be out of any caliber I want or need whenever I visit their ammo section. I've been forced to shop the internet for ammo lately because of it. Which of you guys are cleaning out Walmart the minute they get a 9mm shipment in? :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

RugerJoe
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
Too many.

Postby Riposite » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 00:52:29

Wal mart has conveinance.

But you can find cheaper if you order online ( I like Midawy USA) though with shipping charges you often need to order bulk or watch for somethign to hit clearance to offset that.

Also if you are close enough to make the trip, check out Sterling Arsenal in Sterling. I was able to pick up mag-tech .40 S and W FMJ there for about $2 less than what Winchester White box was going for at my local wal-mart. And I grabbed some Hornady .38 special critical defense rounds for $19 a box; which is comparable to anything i could find online, plus no shipping (though i have the advantage of living only ten-15 minutes away from them)

Riposite
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Rip

My Arsenal:
I don't have an arsenal-if I did it might include a few sigs and a black rifle-but I most assuredly don't have an arsenal

Next Firearm:
No idea; maybe a high capacity 9mm

Postby seeknulfind » Sun, 25 Sep 2011 07:40:16

If anyone likes to save money, it's yours truly but how much are you really saving? If you get a great deal buying bulk the savings may be significant indeed, even when shipping costs are figured in. Okay, I'll buy that. But, and I almost want to cringe when I say this, should price always be the first consideration?

First, remember, when buying a case lot, your hometown dealer MIGHT be able to come reasonably close to an online price. It never hurts to ask. However economies of scale may indeed come into play as the big boys may get significant quantity discounts as they reach buying levels your local shop cannot possibly meet.

This is one way Walmart consistently beats out everyone else - they are just plain huge and one order from them can make suppliers cut their margins to the bone. Add to the fact that Walmart does indeed like to browbeat suppliers into doing even better - even it if means cheating on quality - and price shoppers are hard-pressed to find anything lower out there.

The large ammo dealers aren't likely to follow this second tactic but they may certainly have better pricing from their suppliers.

Like I say, talk to your local dealer. Maybe Rick can shed some light on this subject to, if he has a mind to. There may be ways to buy locally and not spend so much. Why would you spend more to buy closer to home?

For one thing, I don't know about you, but I don't want to be stuck with the choices Walmart give me. If every other dealer is driven out of business by the top 4 or 5 we will all be at their mercy. Not likely to happen but, well, have you noticed how many shoe stores are in your town compared to 10-20 years ago?

These days we are mostly stuck with cheaper shoes and less selection than we used to have. The "category killers" drove the independent shoe stores out of business.

Do we want this to happen to gun stores?

If you can do business down the street, chances are they will keep you in mind when they do their buying and at the very least, try to keep the stuff you buy regularly in stock. Hard to find items? What if you had someone with access to all kinds of suppliers keeping an eye out for you? How about a twist on the "economies of scale" idea?

What if you could band together with a couple of others and buy larger lots? This may help you local dealer get a better price for you.

As I said, the urge to resist paying a lot more than I have to is deep in my bones. But even I am not opposed to asking about getting better deals from the local dealer or maybe just picking up an odd box now and then, even if I need to keep an eye out for sales and specials.

It's not always possible to do business locally but if you can, you've just expanded the field by maybe a little bit.

One thing to keep in mind, one frustration I've came across consistently is something I call the "Main Street Mentality". Simply put, locals can often be very myopic. They have a hard time seeing past the $1.50 they stand to lose on every box of ammo they discount you. This is human nature. They'll multiply that times your 10 boxes (or 50) and see they are "losing" $15.00 or $75.00 profit on this sale.

The Main Street Mentality comes in when they start thinking "I'm here so you should buy from me AND pay a lot more to do it." They don't REALLY see it exactly like that but they have spent a lot of time calculating their costs and what they need to keep the doors open. And here you come asking them to think outside their nice, safe box. It's not always easy. Sometimes it's impossible. But the good news is, it is sometimes possible to find someone else in town who can and will deal.

All I'm sayin' is think about giving this a try. Ask around.

Andy

seeknulfind
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Andy

My Arsenal:
Arsenal? Isn't that like playing with fire?

Next Firearm:
Maybe something in a camel hair trigger...

Postby ShortMan » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 07:37:45

BUMP!

If anybody cares the Walmarts in Manassas and Manassas Park now carry much better brand names in a wider variety of calibers. Prices have gone up ever so slightly. Online bulk is still the best deal, but if you need ammo today then Walmart is acceptable. Though I noticed when they renovated the Manassas Park one they made it even more illegal friendly.

ShortMan
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Short

My Arsenal:
92FS compact L
Colt 1903
Glock 17
Kahr M1 Carbine
Kimber Custom 2 TLE
Mossberg .410
Ruger Mark III Hunter / LCP
Sig P238 / P290

Next Firearm:
Walther PPK or Sig P232.

Postby MNMGoneShooting » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 08:21:48

Outside of reloads, I have never found ammo cheaper than Walmart. Instead of paying the shipping charges, we pick ammo up with grocery shopping.

The trade off is the services sucks feces. 95% of the time, the sporting goods desk is not staffed. You have to find someone, they have to radio it in, minimum 15 minute wait.

For my fellow Fredericksburg friends, the Central Park Walmart is leagues above their Ferry Farm and King George counterparts. They have been the best experience for a Walmart.
If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom.

- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
MNMGoneShooting
VGOF Bronze Supporter
VGOF Bronze Supporter

First Name: Mike

My Arsenal:
In a near AWB world, I say:
- A pocket knife
- A Daisy BB gun
- A book of matches

Postby Fuldagapflieger » Sat, 31 Mar 2012 19:18:27

if you're in Gloucester, you'll find a new alternative...Neal's Hunting and Fishing Supplies, on GW Highway just past the Stagecoach Flea Market and before Sentara...they have a significant sale on ammo right now (even with a fun show in Hampton this weekend)....receipt in my hand for 900 rounds of Federal .223 in 10 round strippers.....$262.50 out the door. Ga Arms and other online ammo suppliers can't touch it....she also has 1000 round bulk 7.62 x 39....well worth stopping and comparing!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'm ____ and I vote!
NRA Life
VCDL
Garand Collector's Association
Lafayette Gun Club
VFW Life

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Fuldagapflieger
On Target
On Target

First Name: Jim

My Arsenal:
Lost all of them in the big flood

Next Firearm:
Sig 938

Postby Reverenddel » Thu, 03 May 2012 17:57:08

Wal-mart has good deals, but as to ordering online... Has any one used AmmoMan.com? I hear good/bad/indifferent stories...

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
Reverenddel
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

First Name: Carl

My Arsenal:

Next Firearm:

Postby Palladin » Thu, 03 May 2012 22:21:47

I was pleased w bulkammos service...
Now is the time for all good men to get off their rusty dustys...

Palladin
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

First Name: Glen

My Arsenal:
Wrist Rocket and a pocket full of 00buck...

Postby arkypete » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 09:08:26

Most interesting, I've never been questioned about the steel core issue.
I try to order 7.62/308 from 'J & G Sales' at least every other month in lots of thousand. It varies between Wolf and Tula depending on which they have in stock with 150 grain bullets. I'll need to break out the magnet and find out if the are steel cored.
Thanks for bring this issue up.

jim

arkypete
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby TBob » Fri, 30 Nov 2012 20:20:17

Reverenddel wrote:Wal-mart has good deals, but as to ordering online... Has any one used AmmoMan.com? I hear good/bad/indifferent stories...

I've never had an issue with them, but their selection tends to be limited.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them" -George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

TBob
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Bob

My Arsenal:
Arsenal, what arsenal?

Next Firearm:
V-3 Hochdruckpumpe

Postby VACoastie » Sat, 01 Dec 2012 13:53:08

I knew this one italian guy, Tony, he was on 7th and Broad in Richmond. You had to go up, throw a can out the window then circle around. He was legit and had everything from .22 to 50 BMG.

Just kidding of course haha

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Coast Guard   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Gun Owners of America (GOA) Member  
VACoastie
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Chris

My Arsenal:
9MM Beretta PX4 Storm
Marlin60 .22 LR
Remington 1100 12 Gauge
S&W .38 Special

Next Firearm:
AR Platform

Postby k5mitch » Sun, 02 Dec 2012 00:08:06

Most of the ammo that people claim are "steel core" is not.

It's a bi-metal jacket. Lead core, soft steel jacket, then a copper jacket.

Regardless, the steel under the copper does have a very small possibility of causing a spark.

k5mitch
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Mitch

My Arsenal:
They all fell off the boat :(

Postby HighExpert » Wed, 27 Feb 2013 20:40:25

You might check with Macs Reloading in VA Beach. It is obviously reloaded ammo but works as well as factory at a break in price. Mac is an ex-military type that is honest as the day is long and loads quality ammo. He also shows at all the C&E gunshows.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
HighExpert
Marksman
Marksman

My Arsenal:
1911s,many more

Postby Monkey » Fri, 22 Mar 2013 09:12:00

HighExpert wrote:You might check with Macs Reloading in VA Beach. It is obviously reloaded ammo but works as well as factory at a break in price. Mac is an ex-military type that is honest as the day is long and loads quality ammo. He also shows at all the C&E gunshows.

+1 for Macs. Picked up 10 boxes of 9mm for $10/box; have burned through 3 boxes so far with no issues.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
Monkey
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: J

My Arsenal:
Redacted

Next Firearm:
Authorized: Shotgun, M1A, Sig P226. Appropriated: None.

PreviousNext

Free Shipping on All Power Tools!

Return to Ammunition and Reloading