Troy Industries Sling Mash HookSling Mash Hook
Troy Industries
    Troy Industries QD 360 Push Button Mt w/SwivelQD 360 Push Button Mt w/Swivel
Troy Industries
    Troy Industries Pro Grade Sling Adapter - BlackPro Grade Sling Adapter - Black
Troy Industries

Tracers and Incendiary Rounds - Legal?

Tracers and Incendiary Rounds - Legal?

Postby IANAL » Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:09:21

I had someone ask me if tracer rounds are legal for civilians to own. From what I can tell, the rules on tracers and incendiary rounds vary from locality to locality. Can someone provide some insight regarding the legality of tracer rounds for civilian use? Thanks!

In this specific case, the question is being asked from North Carolina - in case that matters :)

:boomboom: :boomboom: :boomboom: :boomboom: :boomboom:

IANAL
On Target
On Target

Re: Tracers and Incendiary Rounds - Legal?

Postby Vahunter » Fri, 20 Mar 2009 18:58:08

You are right. It varies locality to locality. I have some .223 and .308 if you need any. Every time I think about shooting some it's too dry out. Wish I'd thought about it during the snow. :doh:

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby flowmaster » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 03:34:46

what parts of virginia specifically prohibit it that we know of? i don't know, but i assume its fine in northern virginia because i've seen it sold at gun shows in chantilly, manassas, and dale city.

flowmaster
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: _

Postby Vahunter » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 09:20:58

IANAL wrote:
In this specific case, the question is being asked from North Carolina - in case that matters :)

:boomboom: :boomboom: :boomboom: :boomboom: :boomboom:

I don't have any idea about North Carolina with the screwy gun laws there like having to buy a permit from the local sheriff to purchase a handgun. Might want check with your local LEO's. What part of Carolina are you in? I'm working in Vance county now for a while.

Vahunter
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Henry

My Arsenal:
All my guns were lost in a tragic duck hunting accident when the boat over turned.

Postby allingeneral » Sun, 22 Mar 2009 09:48:07

I hope IANAL isn't confusing the issue... It's me in regular user disguise. ** IANAL = allingeneral **

I asked this question for someone who sent me an email a couple of days ago from NC.

As this discussion unfolds...I would like to determine specific rules throughout Virginia on this topic so we can compile a good information post.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22

Next Firearm:
Lever Action .357Mag

Postby Tusker » Fri, 03 Apr 2009 02:08:56

Don't know about illegal and don't care but they sure can be corrosive. :( Had my fill of them in the Marines, but they ARE fun to watch. :)

Tusker
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: JR

Postby Gatorfarmer » Fri, 03 Apr 2009 12:30:46

The only state that has laws banning tracers, that I'm aware of, is California. I've ordered commercially produced tracers and had them shipped to me here in VA without problems. Before I ordered them, I did some basic research via Google and was unable to turn up any laws in VA related to tracer rounds. Some ranges will likely prohibit them, but they seem to be perfectly legal.

Gatorfarmer
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby allingeneral » Sat, 04 Apr 2009 23:54:37

Thanks for the feedback Gatorfarmer. :friends:

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
allingeneral
Site Admin
Site Admin

First Name: Rick

My Arsenal:
Ruger 10/22
S&W 4043 .40
Daly 1911 .45
Mossberg 500 12Ga
Rem 870 Super Mag
Ranger Youth 20Ga
Browning Buck Mark .22