Reloading progressive press? Hornady? Dillon?

Reloading progressive press? Hornady? Dillon?

Postby Mindflayer » Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:21:34

I know on the Interwebs everyone is an expert and I've been reading reviews of both the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive Press and the Dillon 500B for a starter kit. Both seem to have their fan base. I know nothing about reloading yet, but want to get started, and am unsure as to which one to get. I notice the Hornady one seems to have a lot of rebates and/or free bullets with purchase. I don't know if that is a sign of a need to boost sales, or just seasonal.

I'd love to hear your advice and recommendations. Thanks!

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Mindflayer
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Patrick

Next Firearm:
Is it free?

Re: Reloading progressive press? Hornady? Dillon?

Postby Dreamerx4 » Sun, 13 Jan 2013 22:44:52

I think you will be happy with either of those, they are both good quality and have good customer service.

I actually fell into buying an RCBS Pro 2000, and I absolutely love it for several reasons. First is the primer loading system... folks complain about it, but I love it and have absolutely no chance of one going off in a tube and igniting the rest., nor can one stick in the tube and not feed into the press, allowing powder to spill out of non primed cases.

Changing calibers is much easier in the Pro 2000, however dillon may be easy only it is more expensive as you would need a separate powder dispenser for each caliber.

The rcbs has 5 stations, which allows a powder check die for safety's sake and to back you up while reloading a lot of ammo quickly.

Rcbs also has great customer service from my experience, however I have heard more complaints regarding them.

The auto index feature can be a little aggressive, and can throw powder if you get moving too quickly, the manual index is not that bad and I was happy with it for quite awhile until I upgraded the unit. Just have to pay attention, which is a good thing anyway.

I load my necked cases on a single stage rockchucker, just prefer it that way.

brian enos has a forum, would suggest buying the dillon from his website if you choose to do so. Just google him, easy to find, lots of good information there.
I am an NRA Certified Instructor as well as an NRA Recruiter
Federal Firearms Licensed Dealer
NRA Life Member
VCDL Member, wish they had a Life category as well!

Dreamerx4
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Doug

Postby Chasbo00 » Sun, 13 Jan 2013 23:15:54

Mindflayer wrote:I know on the Interwebs everyone is an expert and I've been reading reviews of both the Hornady Lock-N-Load Auto Progressive Press and the Dillon 500B for a starter kit. Both seem to have their fan base. I know nothing about reloading yet, but want to get started, and am unsure as to which one to get. I notice the Hornady one seems to have a lot of rebates and/or free bullets with purchase. I don't know if that is a sign of a need to boost sales, or just seasonal.

I'd love to hear your advice and recommendations. Thanks!

Take a look at what the IDPA competition handgun shooters prefer; it's Dillon without question. About midway down in the below link:

http://www.idpa.com/tj.asp?ID=364
Competition is one of the "great levelers" of ego.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Army   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   United States Practical Shooting Association (USPSA) Member   International Defensive Pistol Association (IDPA) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
Chasbo00
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Charlie

Postby MrJog » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 00:07:53

I have the Hornady, and I'm not upset with the purchase. I do kinda like what I see with the RCBS progressive though. You should check that one out as well.

MrJog
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Ken

My Arsenal:
Why?

Postby jdonovan » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 06:30:31

both are good presses and customer support for both is excelnet.

I've been in the dillon camp for a long time, and really do like their equipment.

Last time ammo and reloading equipment went scarce Dillion still had stock on the vast majority of their products, and had replacement parts. All the other guys were out of stock with ETA's in the months-year range. Thats what kept me with dillon.

If you look at the high volume/competition reloader, the overwhelming majority run dillon equipment. When you shoot 500-1000 rounds in a match, and practice another 2-5k/month the cost of the reloading equipment quickly becomes near zero vs the ammo costs. So if the press is 'free' and you could have anything you want, it's telling when most of them pick dillon.

jdonovan
VGOF Gold Supporter
VGOF Gold Supporter

Postby arkypete » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 08:44:52

I would bet that Hornady is a good quality machine and will suit your purpose.
I have five Dillons all for different pistol calibers.
I do all of my rifle loading on an old Bonanza Co Ax.

Jim

arkypete
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby totes6 » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 13:13:25

arkypete wrote:I would bet that Hornady is a good quality machine and will suit your purpose.
I have five Dillons all for different pistol calibers.
I do all of my rifle loading on an old Bonanza Co Ax.

Jim

Wow, I wish I had the money to spare to purchase 5 Dillons as well as a bonanza CoAx. Congrats on that set up.

In regards to the Hornady vs Dillon decision. The biggest benefit you would get, is that the Hornady has 5 stations, vs the RL550B 4 stations, you have to go up to the 650 to get that 5th station for Dillon. To be honest this usually comes down to what color do you like the best. Red vs Blue :friends:

totes6
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby RWBlue01 » Mon, 14 Jan 2013 22:39:08

Mindflayer wrote: I know nothing about reloading yet, but want to get started,

Get a single stage to begin with.

I like the RCBS Rock Chuck, but the others are ok also.
This is a simpler setup to start with you will not blow up your gun.
The is a more cost effective setup so if you don't like it, you are out a lot.
This is a setup you will use long after you have a progressive because it is easier to do load development.
It works for rifles and pistols.
If you every want to load just a few rounds.....

As for Hornady or Dillon, I have an older Hornady. I would probably do Dillon if I were to do it again for my progressive.

RWBlue01
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby CowboyT » Thu, 17 Jan 2013 22:07:21

Since you're new to reloading, I'd recommend neither one just yet. For your safety, I'd recommend--strongly--that you begin with a single-stage press and a hand-held priming tool. This way you will learn each step properly and be at a lesser risk of squibs or double-charges.

I would suggest you start with this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/423081 ... ersary-kit

Those progressive presses will be there after you get some experience. Seriously, for your safety, crawl before you try to run. Even if/when you do go progressive, that single-stage will not go to waste, I assure you. They remain handy to have on any bench.

And your first purchase should be a couple of good reloading books. My two favourites are Lyman's 49th Edition and Lee's "Modern Reloading". Hornady's book is also quite good, though of course they list data only for their own bullets.
"San Francisco Liberal With A Gun"
http://www.sanfranciscoliberalwithagun.com/
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com/ (podcast)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Freedom ain't free, folks. It takes work.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member  
CowboyT
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

First Name: Cowboy

My Arsenal:
'Scuze me...what "arsenal"?? I thought militaries had "arsenals"....

Next Firearm:
Huh? How'm I supposed to know?? I'm a Liberal!

Postby Doyle » Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:57:38

Well here is my $.02 worth on the press discussion. I have been reloading to 3 years so I am relatively new to the subject. When I got into it I reviewed all of the presses and sundry reloading equipment. I know I will get blasted for this opinion but such is life. After my review and based on about 40 years of experience as a mechanical engineer and quality manager in various manufacturing environments I choose the Lee Classic Turret Press. For me it provided the best overall quality and value for my dollar. A lot depends on if you are just looking for a place to just throw money. If that is the case then either the Dillon or Hornady are perfectly fine. But for me they were over priced for what you got.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Doyle

Postby GeneFrenkle » Fri, 18 Jan 2013 10:16:57

That's what I"m leaning towards in starting on, but more or less used as a single stage. Right now, the Kempf Kit is looking good to me.
And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

GeneFrenkle
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby Doyle » Fri, 18 Jan 2013 16:46:38

Ah Gene Gene...you planning on single staging it. You must have more time than me and I'm unemployable (make that unemployed). With a Lee turret you can blow through pistol loads in nothing flat. One pull of the arm performs one loading action. It only makes sense to use the full function of the machine. Well anyway them are my thoughts.

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Navy   National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Virginia Shooting Sports Association (VSSA) Member  
Doyle
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Doyle

Postby GeneFrenkle » Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:22:06

Single stage initially until I get a clue whatI'm doing, then autoindex.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
And if Bruce Dickinson wants more cowbell, we should probably give him more cowbell!

GeneFrenkle
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

Postby gunderwood » Fri, 18 Jan 2013 19:55:57

If you're going to load precision rifle cartridges (think 1000 yard shooting and beyond) and want maximum precision, it can't hurt to get a single stage first to learn the ropes. Certainly some tasks, even for buck processing are best done on a single stage (e.g. swagging out primer crimps on military brass) or a specialized/stand alone tool. If you don't plan on doing that, I still like Dillon as the best.
sudo modprobe commonsense
FATAL: Module commonsense not found.

gunderwood
VGOF Platinum Supporter
VGOF Platinum Supporter

Postby SgtBill » Thu, 07 Feb 2013 21:52:19

Ditto on the Dillion.
Bill

Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Marine Corps   Active, Reserve or Veteran of the United States Air Force  
SgtBill
VGOF Silver Supporter
VGOF Silver Supporter

First Name: Bill

My Arsenal:
Too many to list.

Postby HighExpert » Fri, 22 Feb 2013 02:29:48

I would agree that real precision rifle rounds are more easily loaded on a single stage or turret but, for pistol ammo, the Dillon 550B is tops. It is also possible to use you 550B as a turret simply by loading one round at a time and rotating to the next station each stroke. I have used this method for really cranky cartridges, such as .454 Casull using the original brass. The stuff was paper thin and a real pain to load. I had 500 rds to load and it took me about 2.5 hours to do it. I ended up using case lube even though I had carbide dies and still managed to crumple some cases.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
HighExpert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
1911s,many more

Postby edoc67 » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 07:21:22

go blue

edoc67
Pot Shot
Pot Shot

Postby HighExpert » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 17:15:29

Man, am I glad to hear I am not the only one too screw up .454 Casull cases. I loaded 500 many years ago and ended up with about 475 that were serviceable. How any manufacturer could call that brass is beyond me. I think brass foil would have been closer. I don't know how any of them ever held up for a second reload as I didn't shoot them. I do know they never came back to me and I was just as glad they didn't. My vote is for the 550B Dillon. Had mine for years and wouldn't part with it.

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member  
HighExpert
Sharp Shooter
Sharp Shooter

My Arsenal:
1911s,many more

Postby dsbock » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 22:52:51

I started with a Lee single stage until I built some reloading experience. After that I did some research and chose the Hornady Lock-N-Load progressive press.

Once I got used to the process, I have very few complaints. One is the original cartridge ejection wire. It prevents a die in the fifth station from coming all the way down to the shell plate. The new system is much better. Unfortunately I means I have to replace my current shell plates.

Other than that, I'm very happy with the Hornady.

David
Cats are fun and magical when you can't smell their poop! Fresh Step!

JPFO; NCOWS; NRA; NYSRPA; SAF, VCDL

National Rifle Association (NRA) Member   Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) Member   Second Amendment Foundation (SAF) Member  
dsbock
On Target
On Target

First Name: David

Postby MrJog » Tue, 23 Apr 2013 09:51:42

So what did you end up going with, Mindflayer?

MrJog
Marksman
Marksman

First Name: Ken

My Arsenal:
Why?

Next

Return to Ammunition and Reloading